Calais Aire - Is it open over winter? (1 Viewer)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Hello,

We have rescheduled our crossing subject to the windscreen replacement going to plan 🙏 We arrive into Calais at 7pm and was planning on heading down to the “new” Calais Aire ( for those who remember the old harbour one, we loved it ) where we have stopped over many times. On looking at the website today it says the site is closed, it is unclear if that applies to the actual campsite or if both the Aire and Campsite are closed. Can anyone confirm please to save us the drive into Calais.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
The Gravelot aire is open all year according to search for sites (believe that is the one you refer to). Web site confusing as campsite which is next door, closes over winter

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
No idea, but plenty more that will be Gravelines, Wissant etc.
Yep, but will be looking to dump waste and fill up and prefer Calais Aire for heading out for dinner.…thanks
Just go straight to gravelines,save any hassle (y) ;)
Looking for Calais, thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
The Gravelot aire is open all year according to search for sites (believe that is the one you refer to). Web site confusing as campsite which is next door, closes over winter
Yes, that’s the one. I did look on SFS and it said it was open along with some reviews from December which would confirm. But when you enter the Aire section of the campsite website it adds confusion stating it is closed, but assumed that relates to the site and not the Aire but it’s not clear. Thank you.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yep, but will be looking to dump waste and fill up and prefer Calais Aire for heading out for dinner.…thanks

I would be surprised if there's any with water on this time of year.

We've travelled through france in the winter many times

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp

I drove past it to have a look on my way home recently and the service area, water, waste and grey are all outside the aire and open to any one to use with I believe a token for water (not sure how that works). Very clean, great access, site security excellent, I'll certainly be using it for future stops on the way home (usually stop at Merlimont). Cannot say if water is left on over winter though as I have not used the site

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I drove past it to have a look on my way home recently and the service area, water, waste and grey are all outside the aire and open to any one to use with I believe a token for water (not sure how that works). Very clean, great access, site security excellent, I'll certainly be using it for future stops on the way home (usually stop at Merlimont). Cannot say if water is left on over winter though as I have not used the site
Thanks, we have used it before in the winter and water has been on. I was told the water lines are heat traced to prevent freezing. Maybe the case given it’s such a new place. We shall pop in and spend the night. We won’t be desperate for water but if they have we shall take. But we will need to empty the toilet holding tank and this place is easy for that service.
If you do ever go you buy your ticket from the machine at the gate and it gives you an access code for entry and exit. Credit Cards only.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Don't forget that the water supply to Aires in France is switched off during winter until April.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hello,

We have rescheduled our crossing subject to the windscreen replacement going to plan 🙏 We arrive into Calais at 7pm and was planning on heading down to the “new” Calais Aire ( for those who remember the old harbour one, we loved it ) where we have stopped over many times. On looking at the website today it says the site is closed, it is unclear if that applies to the actual campsite or if both the Aire and Campsite are closed. Can anyone confirm please to save us the drive into Calais.
We used it (if it’s the same one you are referring to, picture attached below) on our way out on Dec28th and all open and services operating) 👍

IMG_1053.png

IMG_1052.png

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Not all of them. Very few in my recent experience. I returned last week and we only found 1 aire with it turned off.
Conversely, I stopped at 6 Aires last March and the water was off at every one. Ended up getting water from the toilet blocks on the toll roads.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back