Cadac Safari Chef 30 Gas Connection (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looking for some help, if someone would be so kind.

Just bought a Safari Chef 30 High Pressure cooker, together with a few 500g gas cartridges. My impression from photos on both the suppliers and Cadac's website, was that it is possible to connect the cartridge directly onto the underneath of the cooker.

When I received the Cadac, it had two connectors in the box, neither of which allowed you to connect the male fitting on the Cadac to the male fitting on the cartridge.

I've asked Cadac, who three days later still haven't replied, and also my supplier. My supplier clearly doesn't know as he told me it screws straight on, then that I need an adapter and then when I asked which one, he referred me to warranty claims....

Is it possible to do what Cadac advertise and if so which adapter do I need, or do I have to use a hose and regulator/adapter between the Cadac and the cartridge?

Thanks in advance

Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
I think you’ll need something like below, I’ve connected mine to the BQ point on the van.
IMG_0812.png

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There are two types, high and low pressure. They are not interchangeable without adapters. You cannot fit a HP cartridge directly onto a LP Cadac

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
There are two types, high and low pressure. They are not interchangeable without adapters. You cannot fit a HP cartridge directly onto a LP Cadac
Thanks for the reply. Mine is a high pressure model and both Cadac and my supplier show the 500g cartridge I bought connected under the unit.
I am starting to think that I am missing a fitting from the factory, as I cannot find an adapter on sale to fit the cartridge to the unit. They both have male fittings, so there has to be a fitting. The only other explanation is that the photos and several descriptions I've seen, are wrong!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Thanks for the reply. Mine is a high pressure model and both Cadac and my supplier show the 500g cartridge I bought connected under the unit.
I am starting to think that I am missing a fitting from the factory, as I cannot find an adapter on sale to fit the cartridge to the unit. They both have male fittings, so there has to be a fitting. The only other explanation is that the photos and several descriptions I've seen, are wrong!
Unless you've actually got a low pressure Cadac boxed up as a high pressure Cadac.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
A photo of the cadac connection and adapters may shed some light on what's been provided. Our LP has a left hand male connection

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Unless you've actually got a low pressure Cadac boxed up as a high pressure Cadac.

A photo of the cadac connection and adapters may shed some light on what's been provided. Our LP has a left hand male connection
Wrong model in the box..... Going on everything that's happened with the order, it wouldn't surprise me!

cadac.jpg

conn.jpg

gas.jpg

box.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Looks like a LP Cadac to me aswell. I think it's designed so that you can't put a HP cylinder onto the LP Cadac as a safety measure.

There is a glimmer of hope though re using cartridges instead of a gas cannister by using the Cadac Trio. It takes three standard gas cartridges and allows you use the Cadac away from a LP supply from the motorhome or caravan.

I personally think the LP Cadac is the better option now that the Cadac Trio is available and the gas cartridges are much more widely available than the Cadac cannisters.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The blue adapter is the direct LP connector but does the gas cartridge fit into the other adapter if the left hand threaded end is attached to the Cadac?
Connecting a high pressure gas supply to a low pressure appliance without some sort of pressure reducing valve is dangerous.....I think Cadac design their BBQs to prevent that.

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looks like a LP Cadac to me aswell. I think it's designed so that you can't put a HP cylinder onto the LP Cadac as a safety measure.

There is a glimmer of hope though re using cartridges instead of a gas cannister by using the Cadac Trio. It takes three standard gas cartridges and allows you use the Cadac away from a LP supply from the motorhome or caravan.

I personally think the LP Cadac is the better option now that the Cadac Trio is available and the gas cartridges are much more widely available than the Cadac cannisters.
Unfortunately I invested in four cartridges, thinking we'd have more than enough for an upcoming trip. Added to that is the fact that I don't really want to spend money to rectify a mistake either with the suppliers (who don't seem to have a clue) or Cadac.

There also seems to be a dual connector that allows you to fit two of the cartridges onto a regulator that drops the pressure. But again, why am I spending money when it's not my fault. I wanted a HP so that I could use the cartridges and should I later put a bbq point on my MH, I could buy an adapter.

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
That looks a lot like the LP version. Annoying 🤬
Extremely annoying, mistakes happen but not knowing the product you sell is bad. We're leaving for 3 weeks in Spain next week, somehow I doubt we'll be cooking outside....
Connecting a high pressure gas supply to a low pressure appliance without some sort of pressure reducing valve is dangerous.....I think Cadac design their BBQs to prevent that.
Exactly and I have now wish to spend 30 plus euros to fix someones mistake.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I'd expect a direct cylinder connection to look like this,(found it on a Cadac 2)

IMG_4875.jpeg

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just emailed them asking them to check their stock and if they have the correct one, to send it to me.

I've just watched a video on the Cadac site and the HP version clearly has a female fitting. The code on the box says L rather than H as well.

So it would seem the suppliers have got it wrong.

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Take it back, demand a refund as the Cadac is no the one you bought!

I'd expect a direct cylinder connection to look like this,(found it on a Cadac 2)

View attachment 941247
Exactly if the cartridge is HP and has a male fitting then the Cadac needs a female fitting or an adapter.

It also explains why the LP has a male fitting, as MisterB says, to avoid you fitting a HP cartridge.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
As I said previously, I think the LP Cadac is a better option ...... With HP Cadac you need the gas cannister, the LP and Trio Pack gives you the same flexibility to move away from the van or hook up to it if you have an external (LP) connection. The cartridges are universal and far more widely available than the Cadac cannisters.
Think about it before arranging a replacement, they might even offer a discount off the price of the Trio to save them having to pay for postage etc to return the 'unwanted' one .... You can only ask?

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Nothing wrong with the HP version. All the advantages of portability and no extra hoses. If you dont have easy access to connector on the van, go for HP.

Plenty of different suppliers of the 500 sized canisters, not just Cadac themselves. Indeed the three cylinder contraption they do for the LP seems a bit of a fudge. I tend to buy a six pack of the 500 cannisters from the rainforest. That lasts me well over a year, and yet Cadac is used daily when I'm out and about.

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
As I said previously, I think the LP Cadac is a better option ...... With HP Cadac you need the gas cannister, the LP and Trio Pack gives you the same flexibility to move away from the van or hook up to it if you have an external (LP) connection. The cartridges are universal and far more widely available than the Cadac cannisters.
Think about it before arranging a replacement, they might even offer a discount off the price of the Trio to save them having to pay for postage etc to return the 'unwanted' one .... You can only ask?

Nothing wrong with the HP version. All the advantages of portability and no extra hoses. If you dont have easy access to connector on the van, go for HP.

Plenty of different suppliers of the 500 sized canisters, not just Cadac themselves. Indeed the three cylinder contraption they do for the LP seems a bit of a fudge. I tend to buy a six pack of the 500 cannisters from the rainforest. That lasts me well over a year, and yet Cadac is used daily when I'm out and about.
Thank you both for your replies. The reason I went HP was because we don't (yet) have an external connection on the MH. I also wanted the flexibility to connect direct to the cooker or use a hose. Now I have invested in 4 HP cartridges I think I will stick with it. The 500g cartridges also seem to be readily available here in France, I even saw them in a local MH dealers.

It seems the dealer will replace it, it's just a question of how fast. French businesses shut down in August and seem to take on temporary staff who have no product knowledge, or common sense.

Thanks again to all who took the time to help, it's much appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back