Brittany and beyond trip. It's a long post!😂 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
We're currently on a trip to Brittany and a bit further south. Thought I'd share where we've been and stayed!
Starting from Le Tunnel we headed down to Jumieges, west of Rouen. Stayed 2 nights at Camping de la Foret. Lovely quiet site next to the small town with a few restaurants and bakery. There was a free aire at the bottom of the village which would probably hold 15 vans, looked perfectly ok. The area is great for cycling along proper marked cycle roads. There are free ferries that cross the Seine which was quite exciting on a bicycle. We took two ferries to get to Duclair a small town.
We moved along the coast to Curnic near Gisseny to a campsite called Camping du Curnic. Very cheap site within the sand dunes. Brand new toilet block and very helpful owners. Short walk to the huge empty beach and a bar/cafe. They have a food truck that comes over some nights. Again great cycling routes.
Moving on again to Trelevern to a campsite on the beach called RCN Port L'Epine. Good site with restaurant and decent toilet blocks. Also had a pool if you wanted. From here we did some trips out to Le Conquet. Free parking in the village and a small walk down to the beach which had a fancy hotel on the rocks overlooking the beach and sea. Had a few restaurants, shops and bars. The weather turned a bit on another day so we thought we'd go inland to Landerneau.
Went to a photography museum and had coffee and cake. Some lovely old buildings along the river. It had an aire for free parking during the day, looked good for overnighting for about 15 euros I think. Could buy water and electric separately. A couple of days we went over to Perros Guirec. Very pretty town along the headland. Has a small town beach or you can drive around the other side to plage de Trestraou. There's no motorhome parking near the front, but there's plenty on the roadside on the hill down. Great surfing and swimming beach. It's been a while since I last surfed but thought I'd give it a go. Sat in the water for two hours and not a single wave was caught! Has a lovely promenade with lots of restaurants which was refreshing, as we've struggled to find that in Northern Brittany.
Onwards again we headed towards Rennes via Dinan for a day trip. There's a few places to park up and stay out of the centre of town but very short walk into the centre. Has a river with good cycle lanes along it. The town itself was medieval and very beautiful, thoroughly recommended. Huge choice for food and drink. Then we headed for Rennes and stayed at Camping des Gayeulles. Lovely site in the forest and man made lakes. Loads of cycle and running tracks around the park. The cycle lanes into the centre of Rennes were fantastic, cars actually stop for you! The centre where the old buildings were was totally pedestrianised. Large amount of shops and restaurants etc. Ten minutes walk from the campsite was a leisure centre swimming pool, I think it was five euros for a dip in a proper lane session. Really liked Rennes 👍
We needed to head back home for a few days so we made our way back towards Calais. We stayed one night in a aire on the outskirts of Amiens. I think it was 16 euros a night and you got full access to the showers etc of the adjacent campsite. It was the usual if there's room and you pay the barrier will open.
Amiens has the largest cathedral in France and possibly Europe. Pretty impressive inside and it's free! We also did the tourist highlights of the gardens around the canals which were interesting. Apart from that didn't think much of Amiens compared to Rennes, felt a bit touristy rip off in the restaurants.
Once back from the UK we did a overnight free aire in Harcourt which was in the village next to the tennis courts, perfectly safe and quiet.
We wanted some sunshine so we've headed just north of La Rochelle in a place called Saint Vincent sur-Jard. We are staying at Camping du Pied Girard a lovely site in the forest and dunes. Very basic but peaceful. 15 minute walk through the woods to a pretty much private beach.
Again cycling is great so there's easy access to the town. We cycled over to Le Rocher to check out the beach and I think the whole of France was there!
Loads of payable aires right next to the beaches along the coast.
That's as far as we've got so far. Heading up to north Paris next week to watch some Olympics🤔
Probably wasn't the best plan but we do like our sport!
Tried to add photos but it isn't playing ball.

Jun 9, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Malibu T500
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for such an informative post, will be referencing for future trip planning 😁

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Tried to add photos but it isn't playing ball.
I had a go at describing the process in post #19 in this thread. However, one of the usual reasons for problems uploading photos is a slow Internet connection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the information. Very helpful as we’re planning a late summer trip to Brittany and wanted some inspiration. Have been before but your ‘heads-up’ has given us plenty of ideas.

OP
OP
G
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
I'd forgotten to add where we went next!
We stayed in a campsite 10 minutes drive out of Chantilly for our trips into Paris. We were thoroughly ripped off with the price as we had to book last year. They had obviously hiked up the prices for the Olympics but hadn't realised by how much as there was no prices on their website. Lots of Germans had been stung also so we felt slightly better!
Moving on from Paris we had no idea where to go and had three nights left. We headed to the coast and thought we'd just wing it.
On the motorway we saw the sign for Le Touquet Paris Plage, we'd passed it so many times on other trips but had no idea what it was like. Pulling off the main roads the road suddenly became red tarmac, which we thought was rather nice! On arrival into the town we were amazed as to how nice it was. A quick look at the sat nav and it said there was an aire near the sea and dunes.
The aire was pretty much a large carpark with many motorhomes already pitched up. There was no option of electricity but there was water and waste. The ticket machine was broken and there was lots of confusion and "kaputs". I did hear a frenchman saying don't worry about it. Of course being British and not wanting to get a penalty ticket, we paid on the parking app. I think it was 13 euros which isn't cheap but was a great location and was very quiet. You can walk into town in about 15 minutes or quicker on the dedicated cycle lanes.
The town and beach are lovely, there are huge amounts of bars, restaurants and shops. Definitely somewhere I'd go back to!
Spent 3 nights here and then headed back to Calais.
The moment we arrived back in the Uk we nearly just turned back and got on the next train. Why can't we have decent roads and less cars!😭
Next years trip is now being planned for Spain and camping Villasol and Bonterra are pencilled in. Just need a couple more places further south along the coast and we'll have used our 90 day quota.
Retirement is hard work!😂

Jul 3, 2022
Somerset
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2022
How truly fabulous, so many considerations for us as we are planning our first trip across the water to the welcoming country of France. However, I must question something if I may, what is it with all these things being free? Free parking areas, free ferries, Free water and disposal in some places!

What a different attitude the Europeans have to people enjoying their country and what it has to offer compared to the United Kingdom where we are punished, harassed and made to feel totally unwelcome in so many parts with limited parking, no freshwater or disposal points (yes we are prepared to pay to use them) and a general dislike of people travelling to new places in order to explore.

Thanks for sharing your experience and looking forward to hearing more in the future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Interesting stuff . You seem to prefer campsites , any particular reason ?
I think we're just being wimpy and wanted certainty on our first long trip away.
However we now know that it's so easy to find free or very cheap places. It just takes a bit to get over the worry of being somewhere dodgy and unsafe. Some of the campsites we stayed at were actually cheaper than the payable aires.

OP
OP
G
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
How truly fabulous, so many considerations for us as we are planning our first trip across the water to the welcoming country of France. However, I must question something if I may, what is it with all these things being free? Free parking areas, free ferries, Free water and disposal in some places!

What a different attitude the Europeans have to people enjoying their country and what it has to offer compared to the United Kingdom where we are punished, harassed and made to feel totally unwelcome in so many parts with limited parking, no freshwater or disposal points (yes we are prepared to pay to use them) and a general dislike of people travelling to new places in order to explore.

Thanks for sharing your experience and looking forward to hearing more in the future.
I think next year we won't book anything as we now know how easy it is to find free places in France.

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
Thanks for your post, we're off to France this week and our likely destination is Brittany - depending on the weather.

OP
OP
G
Dec 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Incredible beaches

IMG_4855.jpeg

IMG_4863.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun