Brighton campsite

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Hi all,due to go and see my daughter next week does the one by the marina get fully booked will we need to book ? i think its a cam site is it worth getting a membership never used one before,cheers for info.

Last edited:

Ven

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I would always prebook as it does fill a lot due to the lack of other options that near to Brighton.

As for membership - depends how often you’re going to visit your daughter.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Use it often to visit family in Brighton
Always pre-book as it can be very busy at times like school holidays
Over the years, most pitches have been converted to hard standing with electric
It’s expensive but there’s not much else around

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
IMG_0104.jpeg
and of course there’s always the public squares on the seafront if you’re stuck

IMG_0105.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I stayed there once, in a hire van before we bought ours. Was not a member at the time, so paid the non-member premium. Had to book in advance, and they were apparently fully booked and so turned away someone else who wanted to join us at the last minute. Site was absolutely fine, though not really my type of site, but I needed to be near the marina for a few days, as part of a small group, so certainly nowhere more convenient!

However, since buying our own van and joining CAMC, when in Brighton I now prefer to stay at Housedean Farm campsite. It’s a 15-20min drive to the marina, but a little quieter/more relaxed- certainly works better for us when there are a few of us travelling together. Much cheaper, too, although thats not the primary factor on these trips!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Does it have to be in Brighton as there’s a few CLs n the outskirts, probably work out cheaper even paying for a taxi.

OP
OP
matt34
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
trouble we have a dog so taxi's might be hit and miss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
matt34
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
I stayed there once, in a hire van before we bought ours. Was not a member at the time, so paid the non-member premium. Had to book in advance, and they were apparently fully booked and so turned away someone else who wanted to join us at the last minute. Site was absolutely fine, though not really my type of site, but I needed to be near the marina for a few days, as part of a small group, so certainly nowhere more convenient!

However, since buying our own van and joining CAMC, when in Brighton I now prefer to stay at Housedean Farm campsite. It’s a 15-20min drive to the marina, but a little quieter/more relaxed- certainly works better for us when there are a few of us travelling together. Much cheaper, too, although thats not the primary factor on these trips!
its not the marina we want to be near,its her and she's an hour from marina anyway

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Depending on where your daughter lives, you may be able to park right outside.

I have a friend I visit from time to time, and always park right outside the house.
(Which also happens to be the only flat spot in the entire road, as most roads in the area are on a steep slope.)

OP
OP
matt34
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Depending on where your daughter lives, you may be able to park right outside.

I have a friend I visit from time to time, and always park right outside the house.
(Which also happens to be the only flat spot in the entire road, as most roads in the area are on a steep slope.)
she's on a steep slope and we have a 7m motorhome so neighbours would love us.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
its not the marina we want to be near,its her and she's an hour from marina anyway
Like you, my daughter lives in the centre (Preston Park area) and parking even for a car is a nightmare
It takes me about an hour to walk from the site to her house, I just bowl along the seafront to the pier then head inland taking in the sights along the way

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
Check the CL's for a bus service. They have a good service to many areas's down there. We have also used the busses from just across the park from the Brighton CAMC site.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
The site is built on the old tip I think that sums up the CAMC. 🤣
Not sure that is true. If it was, it was a long time ago because we have photo's of Hilary on holiday there in the 1950's when it was I believe a municipal site. I also camped there in the 70's. 'Basic' I think best describes the facilities.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The site is built on the old tip I think that sums up the CAMC. 🤣
It is indeed built upon/filling in the old Sheepcote Valley which was a valley. I was working at Brighton Boro' Surveyors Dep't in the early 70's and had to accompany trucks to the tip to verify that they had disposed of and buried the council's confidential waste (which included BT telephone directories :rolleyes: ). No recycling in those days.
S. M. Tidy, a transport and groundworks company had the franchise for operating the tip and in addition used to excavate chalk which they sold. The fire brigade were there at least once a week putting out burning rubbish. My office handled constant complaints from house owners in the adjoining Wilson Avenue (that runs from the marina up to the race course) about the rats, smoke and foul smells from the rotting rubbish.

EDIT
After WW2 many ex WD military vehicles were buried there.
Have just found the interesting history of the site here......

An extract:

1729170483130.png

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the early 70's we used the tip as a backdrop for a silly comic film we made.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back