Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
According to my diagnostic gear , my van (Boxer X290 2.2 puma engine) is regenerating its DPF every 135 km , that’s far too often if this figure is correct.There are no other faults in the powertrain data. Our last run was on the German / French Autoroutes , then via tunnel M20/ M25/ M3, all at night on clear roads, so a good average speed of around 65mph. I use supermarket fuel in the UK but not in Europe . Anyway I’ve now fitted an LED in the heated mirror circuit to hopefully get a visual indication that DPF regen is occurring . Has anyone else done this and if so, what were the results ? Maybe I need to drive like white van man …..

Mirror led.JPG

DPF data.JPG

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
According to my diagnostic gear , my van (Boxer X290 2.2 puma engine) is regenerating its DPF every 135 km , that’s far too often if this figure is correct.There are no other faults in the powertrain data. Our last run was on the German / French Autoroutes , then via tunnel M20/ M25/ M3, all at night on clear roads, so a good average speed of around 65mph. I use supermarket fuel in the UK but not in Europe . Anyway I’ve now fitted an LED in the heated mirror circuit to hopefully get a visual indication that DPF regen is occurring . Has anyone else done this and if so, what were the results ? Maybe I need to drive like white van man …..

View attachment 948731

View attachment 948732
Don't know about your particular vehicle, but can you see what the DPF differential pressure readings are ?

Also, you could look at Jimmy O'Reilly on YouTube, he has loads of videos about dpf faults and fixes.

OP
OP
Sleeveless
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Don't know about your particular vehicle, but can you see what the DPF differential pressure readings are ?

Also, you could look at Jimmy O'Reilly on YouTube, he has loads of videos about dpf faults and fixes.
Thanks , I have 10Mbar differential pressure at idle , soot load reads zero which doesn't sound right . I'm going to set up a forced regen tomorrow to se if the led trick works , does on cars but I'm not so sure on vans.... I often watch Jimmy on the tube very interesting guy.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thanks , I have 10Mbar differential pressure at idle , soot load reads zero which doesn't sound right . I'm going to set up a forced regen tomorrow to se if the led trick works , does on cars but I'm not so sure on vans.... I often watch Jimmy on the tube very interesting guy.
regen every 135/1.6 84miles is lunacy ie a blocked DPF
a ducato i diagnosed with 250mbar differential pressure was doing a regen every 150 miles a dpf clean first before a forced regen or reset. Do not try a forced regen in this condition you will crack the DPF matrix.
is that 10Mbar or 10mbar? milli bar i hope. Does it increase with revs or remain constant? Does the external temperature sensor work or what temperature does the cab display.

What is this LED trick?

OP
OP
Sleeveless
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks, yes , regeneration happening too frequently and differential pressure about 10 mbar at idle rising to 70mbar at 3000rpm which could be a bit lower, but not too high by any means. No fault codes either ??? Regarding the Mbar / mbar , don't worry it's millibar not Megabars which would be a concern to the neighbouring properties lol... but Diagbox displays it as Mbar, which you correctly point out is not technically correct, (although I would imagine Megabars don't exist in everyday life , except maybe in the world of chocolate ). My van (Euro 5) doesn't have an outside temp sensor and it's listed as a "NO" in the BCM , so it's not on the criteria for DPF regen. Regarding the LED , I was wondering if during regen, the BCM switched on various consumers to load the alternator as most cars do , but I don't think it's going to work on a van without a heated rear window etc..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
You are obviously aware of what i was concerned about.
dont quite know what to suggest other than a DPFclean

Regarding an indicator of when a regen is occurring here's a recent thread from ff.

Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020

View attachment 948731

View attachment 948732
Are you using a clone of the software or dealer?
The clone can show some unusual, not normal, results.
My clone shows the same pressure exactly as yours.
Dealer shows different.

Edit: It has shown this for the last 3 years

OP
OP
Sleeveless
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Are you using a clone of the software or dealer?
The clone can show some unusual, not normal, results.
My clone shows the same pressure exactly as yours.
Dealer shows different.

Edit: It has shown this for the last 3 years
That's interesting , I am indeed using a Diagbox clone , I also have Multiecuscan, so will see what that comes up with , thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
Sleeveless
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
The fiat software probably only reads some info on peugeot, if any.
Thinking about it , you're right , it was some time ago I tried to use it....and failed. I also tried a demo of AlfaOBD which listed the Boxer X290 but my engine ECU wasn't on the list so I didn't go any further than the demo. I will ignore the Diagbox regen data for now as there appears to be no other symptoms of a DPF issue , the clone software is still pretty good for other stuff, so worth having for the low cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Your 10mb and 70mb don't sound too bad.

As regards regen indication, on the ford transit it uses a vapourisor into the DPF so an indication of dpf happening can be a 12v led across the vapourisor glow plug. Although you can see the vapourisor pump working in Forscan.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thinking about it , you're right , it was some time ago I tried to use it....and failed. I also tried a demo of AlfaOBD which listed the Boxer X290 but my engine ECU wasn't on the list so I didn't go any further than the demo. I will ignore the Diagbox regen data for now as there appears to be no other symptoms of a DPF issue , the clone software is still pretty good for other stuff, so worth having for the low cost.
try the alfaobd demo again, forget the list just try and connect. It uses a different method than multiecuscan. I still have to to try to load the marelli 8f but on connection it gives the correct ecu 9DF

OP
OP
Sleeveless
May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
try the alfaobd demo again, forget the list just try and connect. It uses a different method than multiecuscan. I still have to to try to load the marelli 8f but on connection it gives the correct ecu 9DF
It does connect , but the data screen fields are blank, also there's a message regarding the ISO of the engine ECU not found.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back