Bought a used Motorhome from large dealership - PDI question (1 Viewer)

c7hru

Free Member
Apr 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Hi

We collected our first Motorhome a few weeks back from a large Motorhome dealer, we are extremely happy with our choice and have managed to get away two weekends in a row (learning each time we go). My question is, should we have access to what was included in the mechanical and habitation service which was carried out as part of our PDI check? We have no record of what was actually checked / replaced and when asked we were told that they are internal documents only. The Motorhome we have isn’t a converter they stock so they aren’t overly familiar with the Motorhome itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We had an A4 piece of paper with tick boxes for all the checks they did on ours. It was Purley habitation as the motorhome was brand-new. To be honest it wasn't worth the paper it was written on as there were so many things not working as we discovered later!

Does it matter what was checked it you have a warranty. If something goes wrong presumably you will take it back to be fixed. I suppose maybe knowing what was done if there was an engine service might be useful but habitation is really a service - more of just a check to see if it all works.

You should have had a damp check/report though.

Upvote 0

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
Hi

We collected our first Motorhome a few weeks back from a large Motorhome dealer, we are extremely happy with our choice and have managed to get away two weekends in a row (learning each time we go). My question is, should we have access to what was included in the mechanical and habitation service which was carried out as part of our PDI check? We have no record of what was actually checked / replaced and when asked we were told that they are internal documents only. The Motorhome we have isn’t a converter they stock so they aren’t overly familiar with the Motorhome itself.

Thank you
You should have been issued with all relevant documents regarding your motorhome as this is part of your history for the vehicle, and if you decide to sell later on, the new buyer will be asking for the information you do not have.
If they don’t play ball with you, name and shame .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Why were you not given it on exchange , I'd be asking why is internal what are they trying to hide ?

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
The mechanical service should be stamped in you're book therefore should have been done upto manufacturers required standard and under warranty

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What is the base vehicle and age.. it may only have digital service records..

Fiat, VAG Group and others no longer have paper service books

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
It would only be a piece of paper with ticks on anyway,just done in the depot,it's the customer who does the real PDI when you've travelled a few miles and start using it 🙂

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Personally if I was happy with the motorhome as you seem to be after 2 trips away I wouldn’t be too fussed that they had not given me a piece of paper with ✔️ on.
It’s not the annual habitation check so I wouldn’t get over concerned about it.
Most appliances and fittings in motorhomes are from main manufacturers like Dometic or Thetford etc, so the dealer would be familiar with them.
IMHO the important bits are gas / electrical safety and damp annually the rest is nothing more than you could do checking yourself.

If you sell on this vehicle buyer will be interested in annual checks and no one is likely to ask for the pdi from when you bought it.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Like others say its going to be a check list of things working with a tick box. However I would expect a damp check report sheet for hab side and if the engine was serviced a stamp in book or if its online like my car then it on there stating what was done.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Hi

Thank you
Sounds like you bought from the “largest Motorhome dealer in the country”
I had a similar experience but having asked various times for information on what had been done I wrote direct to the CEO and had a reply back immediately with what I had requested. I just don’t understand their business philosophy.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I had a similar experience but having asked various times for information on what had been done I wrote direct to the CEO and had a reply back immediately with what I had requested. I just don’t understand their business philosophy.
Any business should have a philosophy and this should be reflected in reviews by customers and by the actions a dealer makes. However far too often what is said is not what is done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

c7hru

Free Member
Apr 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby
What is the base vehicle and age.. it may only have digital service records..

Fiat, VAG Group and others no longer have paper service books
It’s a Citroen, first registered in 2022

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

c7hru

Free Member
Apr 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Interesting… do you mind if I ask what it was that they were withholding from you / what you were requesting?

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Cannot understand why no habitation/certificate is given.
Whenever I have had one done I am supplied with a tick box sheet showing all items checked and a schematic of the vehicle with damp meter readings.
This forms part of the vehicle history.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Since you've found during two weekends away that everything's working you've done as much as most dealers' hab check would do apart from (perhaps) a damp check with a meter.
Re the base vehicle it's important to know when the engine oil, filter(s), and cam belt were last changed (if it has a belt rather than a chain).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

c7hru

Free Member
Apr 17, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Thanks for everyone’s input so far. They have said they’ll stamp the book that a service was done next time I’m in to get my “snags” sorted. My only apprehension about it all is that there were a couple of issues that I would have expected to have been done on a mechanical service (coolant was pretty much on the minimum line for example) that I don’t think have been done “properly”. Do Motorhomes have interim and full services like a car would? If so, that’s another reason why I’d like to have a record of what service was carried out.

Re the habitation check, I was under the impression that this would have been a full habitation check and I wouldn’t be due one for another 12 months, would you normally be given a record of having a habitation check completed?

Another example of why I want a record of what was checked is that the bike rack has some slight movement in it on one side, so when I asked if it had been checked for safety, the response I got was that as it was a customer fitted item it would only get a visual check as it is only factory fitted items that are warranted, which I find astonishing.

There are a few issues that, in all fairness, they are going to investigate / make good, however I just want to make sure when it goes back in, it gets completed to the standard required and I have a record going forward if what services have been provided / carried out.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It’s a Citroen, first registered in 2022
I believe it came out in 2022 , check here

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Is there a manufacturers warranty still in place for things like damp? If so and the dealer you bought from is not a service agent for the make you have bought it's likely that the warranty will be invalid unless the damp checks are carried out by a service agent of the motorhome manufacturer. The same with anything else there's still a warranty on. You need to check this as it could be that the annual inspection is due

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thank you, I’ll take a look
If no joy, contact Citreon directly and ask for service records .. have vin and reg handy

I did this with my Skoda I bought recently and they emailed the service record to me

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When people came to us with a second hand van that had a Strikeback or Growler system fitted, we’d offer a system check

We had a posh sheet showing each of the functions due to be visually checked and tested, our customers details and original specification our customer ordered and paid for, along with the new owners details

The trouble was that the workshop staff know their stuff and didn’t need to walk around consulting the clipboard to know what to do and what to do next, so the system check was done, then the boxes all ticked and the file presented back to the office

The new owner often asked for all the information to be copied, which we wouldn’t or couldn’t do as it had all our customers information on.

That would then start a “well you could do this, or you could do that” conversation.

We “could” do lots of things, but our loyalty is to our customer, and we thought that offering a system check and a familiarisation hand over for the new owner was going way further than any other security installers, so to spend ages copying documents so the copies could be redacted, so they could be copied without personal information we’d simply refuse.

We did find the majority of people respected the fact we protected our customers but a handful of people would buy a second hand van, and they start lording it up as if they’d bought the van brand new, “Why wasn’t this fitted?” “Because our customer didn’t order it 8 years ago”

“I want all the stickers replaced” “I want new remote controls’ “I want a new bike alarm loop”

And then freak out and get upset when we tell them the items are chargeable

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Is this a motorhome or campervan?
If it's a camper, Citroen cover the base warranty which could be 2 years. Check asap also service as advised above.
The converter covers the habitation side.
Customer add ons like the bike rack will fall back on the credibility of the seller.
I bought my Auto-Trail Ducato from South Hereford Motor Caravan Centre in 2022. If it's this crowd, go elsewhere for any work. My bike rack slipped, which I unbolted to discover they had not glued as per Thule fitting instructions.
Sales director and MD questioned who had authorised me to start work.
Next I discovered they had drilled into the rear door to fit the number plate. The base van already had lugs for screws. No response.
During this time a number of other snags had been raised which had according to the company been referred to Auto-Trail for warranty. Nothing heard since.

I have had regular information and assistance from Auto-Trail customer service. Cannot fault.
Never had cause to deal with Fiat on the base.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Interesting… do you mind if I ask what it was that they were withholding from you / what you were requesting?
I wanted evidence of the service, the new cam belt and details of all the snagging items which had been agreed that needed doing. The invoice of their internal charges was detailed and totalled approx £4500 ! Obviously not the true cost but an indication of the work done. The one thing that I would have liked was the name of the previous owner but under the Data protection act that was refused!

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Cannot understand why no habitation/certificate is given.
Whenever I have had one done I am supplied with a tick box sheet showing all items checked and a schematic of the vehicle with damp meter readings.
This forms part of the vehicle history.
I expect no document exists for the habitation side, they just gave it a quick look over to see if the main item worked, that's it. As for engine/mechanics there should be a record.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I wanted evidence of the service, the new cam belt and details of all the snagging items which had been agreed that needed doing. The invoice of their internal charges was detailed and totalled approx £4500 ! Obviously not the true cost but an indication of the work done. The one thing that I would have liked was the name of the previous owner but under the Data protection act that was refused!
Yep for once data protection is not an excuse.
But you could ask them to contact the previous owner with your details but I would not hold your breath

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Yep for once data protection is not an excuse.
But you could ask them to contact the previous owner with your details but I would not hold your breath
Sorry?
Course it's an excuse. Deliberate blocker!
"Them" should offer to contact the previous owner for permission to disclose 🤬.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Sorry?
Course it's an excuse. Deliberate blocker!
"Them" should offer to contact the previous owner for permission to disclose 🤬.
Unfortunately. Their customer service may be lacking but they are compliant. You may think they are using it as a blocker. And they may well be.

But like it or not the reg is here to hide behind.

Looking at it from another angle I would not be happy if a business I had dealings with gave out my info.

also that vehicle could have been through a few dealers before it was sold to the end user

its much the same as hiding behind H&S regs. If you dont want to do something...........

ask them nicely they may help

demand them to do something they may not help.

sad but they person may not have thought to offer to pass the details on

https://nordlayer.com/blog/gdpr-com...f8KpKUzm0bvM4b_qfLG22EP-PDuyb4IwaAiWlEALw_wcB

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back