Bottle Jack for Motorhome - recommendations

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Looking for a bottle Jack for the motorhome.

A quick search of 4 ton jacks brings a range up from £17 - £28 with a height range from minimum around 180mm/190mm to maximum of 340mm - 370mm

Any particular recommendations or shallI just go with the cheapest?

Broken Link Removed

Paulg16

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since July 2021
I bought a 4 tonne bottle jack from Halfords. Used it once on a rear nearside puncture and it did the job. Would recommend using a timber underneath to spread the load. The scissor jack supplied with the van by Peugeot is OK so to speak but as I have an ALKO chassis the jacking point is not the same as on a Peugeot chassis. The tyre changing was done on my drive so fairly sanitised as opposed to changing on a motorway. However would recommend practicing at home before you actually get a puncture so you can figure out what extras, such as timbers you might need.
Also, I agree with some others in that you are not lifting the whole van so a 4 tonne jack should do the job.

Upvote 1
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I bought a 4 tonne bottle jack from Halfords. Used it once on a rear nearside puncture and it did the job. Would recommend using a timber underneath to spread the load. The scissor jack supplied with the van by Peugeot is OK so to speak but as I have an ALKO chassis the jacking point is not the same as on a Peugeot chassis. The tyre changing was done on my drive so fairly sanitised as opposed to changing on a motorway. However would recommend practicing at home before you actually get a puncture so you can figure out what extras, such as timbers you might need.
Also, I agree with some others in that you are not lifting the whole van so a 4 tonne jack should do the job.
w2f

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta TD61 Fiat
Exp
Since 2021
I agree with Jimbo - I’ve got bottle jack, trolley jack and original Fiat Ducato scissor jack. The latter on the standard jacking points is the best for a straight forward wheel change on a good surface. It has good height range, access and speed of lift - don’t forget, if it’s a flat change, you need a jack which will get under the reduced height.
I bought a 600 mm breaker bar and a deep socket and carry a torque wrench for the wheel nuts. Plus carry wood chocks for the opposite corner. Obviously do all the heavy loosening and tightening with the wheels on the ground!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
Assuming you’ve got a roadside flat tyre, there’s sometimes insufficient clearance to get a bottle or trolley jack into position underneath. Run the flat tyre up a levelling ramp first, to give extra clearance. The van is much more stable for more of the lift. If using a scissor jack, this reduces the effort required considerably.
Ps Always slacken the wheel bolts/ nuts a bit BEFORE any of this, when it’s still on terra firma!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
I agree totally with (almost) everything which has been said. Most inexpensive bottle jacks are crap, and a waste of money. I carry a 12 ton Machine Mart bottle jack, and a selection of wooden pads which can be used to spread the load. The FIAT scissor jack lives in the garage loft at home. Good big chocks are also necessary to chock the wheels NOT being lifted.
The 12 ton bottle jack is a bit tall to start with but some ingenuity will get it under somewhere. never be tempted to go for the cheapest/smallest option, when you need it, it will either let you down, or not be big enough.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
No-ones mentioned the fun & games to be had if your spare wheel (if you have one) is located in the way it is on the Peugeot/Fiat chassis. That's a challenge in itself!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Have a search for Sprinter bottle jack; plenty on eBay. We've used one on our Frankia i7000bk (4.6T), built on a Sprinter chassis..

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there. For home use, I would always use a trolly jack. The wheels give flexibility so as the vehicle goes up the trolly moves forward. Of course they are heavy so lighter jacks are better for emergency use on the road. I have a high lift bottle jack from a land rover which gives a good lift.
however, on the side of a motorway I would not trust any bottle jack as a draft from a passing truck could tip the van, with dreadful consequences if I am changing a wheel. That’s why I have breakdown cover. I have called them out to change a wheel - even in Europe

we use Britannia and have had nothing but great service.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Wait till you have to raise a front wheel. Different kettle of fish with the scissor jack. You need muscles like Popeye to get the wheel clear of the ground.
I do it every year on all 4 corners with the Fiat scissor jack. To change to winter wheels and tyres. No problem. Where I change them is flat. I wouldn't be so happy with that jack on a slight slope.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
If it's just for changing wheels, ie lifting corner of your vehicle, you wouldn't need a massive lifting weight.
What I have done in the past is modify a Bottle jack top to fit where I propose to jack up vehicle easiest one I done was for a caravan chassis where I welded a small steel channel about 4 " long and a depth of 2" it fitted around the chassis , Motorhomes are a bit more tricky due to configuration underneath

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Ever seen an overloaded jack fail?
They come down a hell of a lot faster than it went up.
Yep saw that when a chap at the garage I worked up jacked up a truck without a safety stand removed rear wheels and down came jack and the rear hub lucky for him landed between his legs without castrating him, or causing him any injury ( except to his pride when we all gathered around him !!)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
For those that have actually used a bottle jack what is the extension range? What range is needed front and back from a punctured wheel to a fully inflated off the ground?

Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
All this equipment needed to change a wheel when you could simply call the breakdown service you have probably paid for.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
For those that have actually used a bottle jack what is the extension range? What range is needed front and back from a punctured wheel to a fully inflated off the ground?
Most bottle jacks have a single hydraulic ram inside, so can only lift a maximum of less than their starting height. Some bottle jacks have a double ram, telescopic style, and can lift more than their starting height. They usually are smaller to start with, and are better for getting under a lifting point when the tyre is flat.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp

A quick search of 4 ton jacks brings a range up from £17 - £28 with a height range from minimum around 180mm/190mm to maximum of 340mm - 370mm

Broken Link Removed

Totally unrelated but you are using the Avatar I have been using on VX220.org for the last 18 years.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Totally unrelated but you are using the Avatar I have been using on VX220.org for the last 18 years.

:LOL: Hi Ian -wonder if you can work out who I am though?

Upvote 0

68c

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Two problems with jacking an Alko chassis with a flat tyre, clearance to get the jack in and the height you have lift as the swinging arm pivots down as you cannot jack directly on the axle as it is too deep inside the wheel. I have considered making up a strut that will slide into the inside of the sub axle and hook onto the chassis. In this way the jack only has to lift the chassis enough for an inflated tyre to be fitted. The jack could engage a lug on the strut so not have to be so short. At first I thought the jack could just lift on a short tube pushed into the stub axle but then realised the swinging arm would move the axke rearwards as it lifts and slide off the jack. Some aircraft with swinging arm suspension use a strut to stop the leg compressing more so speeding up a wheel change as less lift required.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989

Broken Link Removed
Maybe we need to know whether you're talkin/ about a 50ft A-class or a VW van conversion...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Maybe we need to know whether you're talkin/ about a 50ft A-class or a VW van conversion...
Look at my profile on the left, and I did say I was looking for 4 ton jacks.

Upvote 0

OutTheOffice

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
I think I might have a drink problem, saw the title of this thread and assumed it was about taking a bottle of Jack Daniels away in the van. Ill seek help !!!!!!

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Look at my profile on the left, and I did say I was looking for 4 ton jacks.
Fair point, I was reacting to all the comments about what rating or even type of jack would be appropriate. I have a bottle jack that would be going for free if I could remember where I put it.. (and knew the rating!)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
Ok. So a retired music teacher 🤣

Upvote 0

Clangers

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pegasus Grand
Exp
Gone from 3 years 700 miles in Motorhome back to Caravaning
In my view you really need 2 jacks, both twice as big as you think you will need.
One for home must be a trolley jack as big and as high a lift as you can afford.
The travel jack should still be a trolley jack but 2 ton is adequate and more important an axle stand/stands.
If its got to be a bottle jack to travel then as people say, spreader plates are more important than lifting capacity.
You aint gunner lift your complete Motorhome up!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back