Bordeaux recommendations (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Hi folks, we’d like to spend a couple or days exploring Bordeaux city next week. Any advice on sites and transport in/out welcome. Aire or campsite preferred rather than unofficial stopover. Seems to be a scarcity of decent sites from my searches so far. Cheers

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed outside Bordeaux at Camping Beausoliel, Gradignan.

IMG_1646.png

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
How easy was it to get into the city?
We drove around the city on the ring road to get to Gradignan so can’t really help as we didn’t try to go into central Bordeaux. There did however seem to be a good bus service.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
We stayed at Chateaux Bertinerie a couple of years ago. It had a free hookup, water and disposal. It was in a lovely part of the countryside just north of Bordeaux. It may be too far out of the city for your needs, but good for getting your bearings and chilling.
Chateaux.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The trains in and out of Bordeaux are good if you choose the right line and can handle the ticket machine. I've not tried the buses but they seem plentiful. We stayed at Montendre on a Funster rally, but maybe that's a bit far out, but only took a half hour by train. We do often go to a great France Passion wine Chateau 30 km east, but there's no railway line near. Bordeaux definitely worth a visit.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
It is well located but very mixed reviews putting me off. On top of the price which isn’t budget, they charge €5 for water!
We’ve stayed there some years ago. Perfect location & ease of access. City is great to visit and you would need more than 1 full day in it. We did it in 2 but could have seen more if we stayed longer. Site ok, not fantastic pitches but location is what it’s about. Not sure of the current charges but it was ACSI then and had a lot of mobile homes. It was not part of Yelloh then but I’ve found their sites generally excellent

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
It is well located but very mixed reviews putting me off. On top of the price which isn’t budget, they charge €5 for water!
We stayed at Yelloh Village Camping Bordeaux Lac in June last year and didn't pay extra for water. I think that would only apply if you use the borne to fill up from. We just used a regular tap & watering can to top up. The transport links were good. It's walkable to a tram stop into the city or if you don't fancy the walk there is a bus to the tram stop from outside the camp gate. The site was busy and not the prettiest but it did the job well for what we wanted ie a safe place to leave the van while we went in to the city over several days to enjoy the wine festival.

Apr 11, 2022
Somerset UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2016
How easy was it to get into the city?
We stayed on this site too, it was a short walk to a bus stop, and then a trip to the nearest tram stop which took us straight into the city centre. Sounds complicated, but it was cheap, fast and regular . Sites not big so would suggest booking, but was quiet at night and more pleasant than some city sites.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
We stayed on some docks for a few days with a few other vans,free stop but can’t remember how we found it, it was about a 30 min walk into the centre.someone else may know more.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
The wife informs me it was called Port Autonome de Bordeaux. Maybe p4n.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Thanks for comments. Stayed at the Yelloh site. Pitch barely bigger than the van but had a nice outlook onto one of the ponds. Easy transport links explained and tickets purchased at reception. Now St. Emilion next….

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back