Blown inline fuse (1 Viewer)

Gobcob

Free Member
Aug 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Hi,
Wondered if anyone could offer advice on persistently blowing 15amp inline fuse from solar panel to vehicle battery?
Chausson 640 Titanium, 2020.
Cheers,
Grant

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
w2f
Electric problems very difficult to solve without actually looking at it. Do you have a solar controller fitted?

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
How big is your solar panel?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could be the solar controller is faulty and giving out a too higher voltage so in turn the battery is drawing more current.
You need to check the voltage coming out of the controller and also check it in bright sunlight. in bright sunlight. It should be a max of 14.4v (14.7v for AGM) if it's higher than that it will damage the battery.

OP
OP
G

Gobcob

Free Member
Aug 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Could be the solar controller is faulty and giving out a too higher voltage so in turn the battery is drawing more current.
You need to check the voltage coming out of the controller and also check it in bright sunlight. in bright sunlight. It should be a max of 14.4v (14.7v for AGM) if it's higher than that it will damage the battery.
Thanks - original fitter has agreed to send a replacement controller so will try that.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Even with a new controller if you still have things blowing you need more info. A clamp meter will tell you what current you’re passing through the fuse.
Also, make sure you’re using good quality fuses - don‘t skimp on that.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
A 150w panel on a really sunny summer's day with a depleted battery is going to be pretty close to 15amps. I thought solar panels could output more than their rating for short periods if they're cool.

The TT's

Free Member
Aug 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Having same / similar issue.

PV Logic MPPT Pro controller. 200W Solar.

Leisure battery is AGM, vehicle is, well, a vehicle battery so normal lead acid I guess.

Up until this week was only using the first battery terminal to charge leisure battery from Solar. Garage just fitted second set of wires from vehicle batter to second set of terminals (which only charge when battery attached to the first terminals is in a good place!).

They are fitting 10A fuses though.

Fuse has blown twice in 24 hours.

Just restarted the MPPT Pro controller as I noticed it had something 160 days uptime, just in case it only 'checks' some config on startup as was treating both batteries the same but just clutching at straws!

Did you get anywhere?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Having same / similar issue.

PV Logic MPPT Pro controller. 200W Solar.

Leisure battery is AGM, vehicle is, well, a vehicle battery so normal lead acid I guess.

Up until this week was only using the first battery terminal to charge leisure battery from Solar. Garage just fitted second set of wires from vehicle batter to second set of terminals (which only charge when battery attached to the first terminals is in a good place!).

They are fitting 10A fuses though.

Fuse has blown twice in 24 hours.

Just restarted the MPPT Pro controller as I noticed it had something 160 days uptime, just in case it only 'checks' some config on startup as was treating both batteries the same but just clutching at straws!

Did you get anywhere?
200w is going to pump a lot more than 10A on the 12v side. Are you saying they've just doubled up the wires? The majority of the current will take the low resistance path.

The TT's

Free Member
Aug 8, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
200w is going to pump a lot more than 10A on the 12v side. Are you saying they've just doubled up the wires? The majority of the current will take the low resistance path.
Just managed to locate the manual online, and perhaps have somewhat answered the question! No idea why they fitted 10A! Might be relevant to OP if they have 15A fuses fitted.

Relevant section below:

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 03.18.39.png

This controller is designed to prioritise the battery connected to the ‘Battery 1’ connections first, before then allowing a charge to the battery on the ‘Battery 2’ connections. In practice this means that battery 1 will be around 70% + charged before the controller will start charging battery 2. It will then bring the batteries up evenly to a full charge.

Please note: If charging two batteries that are interconnected on the same circuit (eg in parallel) only connect one battery to ‘Battery 1’ and do not connect the second battery to ‘Battery 2’. Battery 2 connection is only for charging a completely separate circuit with a battery on. For example the engine battery of a motorhome.

Jan 7, 2017
Fareham, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2016
Hi,
Wondered if anyone could offer advice on persistently blowing 15amp inline fuse from solar panel to vehicle battery?
Chausson 640 Titanium, 2020.
Cheers,
Grant
Hello, had same problem, came down to smart alternator. Had isolator switch fitted to vehicle battery charge line from MPPT which I use before starting engine then back on again when parked up.. Otherwise blows every time when engine runs.

Oct 25, 2022
Infinity and beyond
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo I 726
Exp
A very long time
Hello, had same problem, came down to smart alternator. Had isolator switch fitted to vehicle battery charge line from MPPT which I use before starting engine then back on again when parked up.. Otherwise blows every time when engine runs.
I've a similar problem. Is your vehicle a Fiat Ducato and do they all have smart alternators? My 20amp fuses to both the starter battery and every now and again the leisure battery blow. Could it be the alternator and do I need an isolator switch on both separate feeds?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back