Bip&Go v. Emovis tags - costs (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 24, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
Jim’s new post asking for members’ experiences in France has got me thinking about the autoroutes and how to pay. For donkeys years we have used a credit card at the toll booths, but find them awkward now as the “slots” are positioned for cars or HGVs, and motorhomes are at an “in between” height.

I have just looked at Bip&Go, but our current account with the Nationwide is not linked with their payment system (n)

The Emovis is more expensive to buy and maintain, and for the months used, than Bip&Go, but the toll costs seem reasonable with regard to exchange rates etc. and invoiced later.

Bip&Go must be linked to a current account. My question for those who use Bip&Go is: what fees are associated with taking more numerous individual toll payments (I assume)? Does your bank charge a foreign exchange fee or foreign transaction fee each time? How much?

In other words, what price is convenience?

Many thanks in anticipation….

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I've tried card numbers
View attachment 925654

It’s not card numbers that are required. You need the IBAN number associated with your account - should be available from your bank account online details or shown on a statement etc.

I found it easiest to open a Revolut account for automatic invoicing by Fulli in euros - plus it’s very good for use when in Euroland.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Fulli Tag (used to have Bip & Go previously).
we use a Euro account with Wise for payments.

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2022
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
sprinter 515 ambo
Jim’s new post asking for members’ experiences in France has got me thinking about the autoroutes and how to pay. For donkeys years we have used a credit card at the toll booths, but find them awkward now as the “slots” are positioned for cars or HGVs, and motorhomes are at an “in between” height.

I have just looked at Bip&Go, but our current account with the Nationwide is not linked with their payment system (n)

The Emovis is more expensive to buy and maintain, and for the months used, than Bip&Go, but the toll costs seem reasonable with regard to exchange rates etc. and invoiced later.

Bip&Go must be linked to a current account. My question for those who use Bip&Go is: what fees are associated with taking more numerous individual toll payments (I assume)? Does your bank charge a foreign exchange fee or foreign transaction fee each time? How much?

Hi. I have a disaster story with fully tag in France!
I did post about it a couple of years back.
I set mine up with nationwide (IBAN)( Yes you can do it with some searching )
My vehicle is 5 tonner and 3.2m high so I thought rather than argue at every toll for class 2 I could preset the specification of 'Camper'. NO YOU CAN'T!
At EVERY toll station it didn't work ( red light) . Back on the phone every time. My account didn't work ( even though it was set up correctly and test payment made in UK). I had to pay with card or cash at EVERY toll EXCEPT 1 TOLL IN GRENOBLE on our return journey it miraculously worked. This ironically turned out to be my biggest bug bear as it then didn't work on ANY of the return tolls after this. It delayed us at least 15 minutes at each toll due to my arguments on their crappy phones. When back in England I sent it back by mail. They never received it and I got fined for not returning it. They even tried charging me AGAIN for the tolls where I paid cash!!!
Needless to say I didn't pay. I got enforcement letters from a debt agency threatening court action. Every letter was in french. I honestly had enough by then and ended up paying just to clear my registration for future trips.
I'm off to France next week so we'll see what happens at my first toll. I'm paying the old fashioned way!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mymer 560MLI
You will need to place the tag lower down. Cars place them on the top but on a van thats only about half way up the vans screen. So putting it lower should be ok. Santander is or was a no. It's not the bank but the newish European computer system that is used not all British banks have yet installed the system. You will need to ask the banks you are with if they do it. We have Santander and virgin, neither have the system, so had to use my daughter's Lloyds bank account. We like the bip and go works well.
Used BIP for over 20 years but have a euro account att Britline Credit Agricole. As for position on screen quite critical on an A Class. First two tolls I visited wave it around to find sensor point and stick it there. Go through 30km routes at tolls all the time. Quite low as you said but our problem is in Italy at 40'C it keeps falling off! Not found an adhesive pad that works as new Tags are heavier on one side so it slowly sags off.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
My vehicle is 5 tonner and 3.2m high so I thought rather than argue at every toll for class 2 I could preset the specification of 'Camper'. NO YOU CAN'T!
At EVERY toll station it didn't work ( red light) . Back on the phone every time. My account didn't work ( even though it was set up correctly and test payment made in UK). I had to pay with card or cash at EVERY toll EXCEPT 1 TOLL IN GRENOBLE on our return journey it miraculously worked. This ironically turned out to be my biggest bug bear as it then didn't work on ANY of the return tolls after this. It delayed us at least 15 minutes at each toll due to my arguments on their crappy phones. When back in England I sent it back by mail. They never received it and I got fined for not returning it. They even tried charging me AGAIN for the tolls where I paid cash!!!
Needless to say I didn't pay. I got enforcement letters from a debt agency threatening court action. Every letter was in french. I honestly had enough by then and ended up paying just to clear my registration for future trips.
I'm off to France next week so we'll see what happens at my first toll. I'm paying the old fashioned way!!
You should get emovis, all in English, direct debit from a UK bank account (no IBAN needed) and in pounds not euros...

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015

for us last year we travelled from Calais to Omaha beach Normandy, i think i was about 6 hours drive , we used the Emovis tag it works via the ANPR system, as you roll up to the toll booths the barrier just opens and you don't have to stop, it costs £8 per year to have the tag. that journey cost us £80.00 there and back as we have Emovis uk it was charged in sterling. this year we took a 6 hour ferry to Caen in a pet friendly cabin, we then travelled about an hour to our base near Omaha beach and not a toll booth in sight. the only problem we found was that if you needed more euros you had to travel back to Caen and the exchange rate was grim,
https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
for us last year we travelled from Calais to Omaha beach Normandy, i think i was about 6 hours drive , we used the Emovis tag it works via the ANPR system, as you roll up to the toll booths the barrier just opens and you don't have to stop, it costs £8 per year to have the tag. that journey cost us £80.00 there and back as we have Emovis uk it was charged in sterling. this year we took a 6 hour ferry to Caen in a pet friendly cabin, we then travelled about an hour to our base near Omaha beach and not a toll booth in sight. the only problem we found was that if you needed more euros you had to travel back to Caen and the exchange rate was grim,
It doesn't work on ANPR it works on the Tag...

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We are planning to go to Italy and I was going to get a Bip & Go.
Two questions:
1: I have an Autotrail Tracker which has an overhang over the windscreen. Will the tag work if placed at the top of the screen as per instructions?
2: Will I be able to set up payments through my Santander current account?
Yes, we used our tag on the windscreen of our Tracker EKS for 5 years without an issue. Just use the rightside HGV barrier & approach the booth slowly. I've always fitted them on the UK passenger side.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2022
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2019
You will need to place the tag lower down. Cars place them on the top but on a van thats only about half way up the vans screen. So putting it lower should be ok. Santander is or was a no. It's not the bank but the newish European computer system that is used not all British banks have yet installed the system. You will need to ask the banks you are with if they do it. We have Santander and virgin, neither have the system, so had to use my daughter's Lloyds bank account. We like the bip and go works well.
I bank with Santander; I’ve had emovis & bip and go for over 3 years, never had an issue with payments being declined.

Upvote 0

BAB

Nov 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
knaus 800 leg
I read your post with interest as we have a 4.5t tag axle . We have considered getting some form of tag but it seemed to me that there is no way around paying the higher rate simply based on the tag axle which seems unfair as there are Motorhome as big on buses which qualify on the lower tariff . The only solution seemed to be attempting to stay clear of the toll roads as they charge us as a truck . ££££ Am I missing something here ?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
I bank with Santander; I’ve had emovis & bip and go for over 3 years, never had an issue with payments being declined.
Since you registered for bip etc the system has changed for new accounts. Europe has instigated a new transfer system and many english banks have not yet converted there systems to accept this system. In the long run all will I assume will change over.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Used BIP for over 20 years but have a euro account att Britline Credit Agricole. As for position on screen quite critical on an A Class. First two tolls I visited wave it around to find sensor point and stick it there. Go through 30km routes at tolls all the time. Quite low as you said but our problem is in Italy at 40'C it keeps falling off! Not found an adhesive pad that works as new Tags are heavier on one side so it slowly sags off.
Have you tried asking bip for a new connector ?

Upvote 0
May 3, 2016
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Had an email today from Emovis, who are "adjusting" their prices, to £10 pa plus local taxes for annual management fee, and £7 plus local taxes for each month you use a tag, maximum charge is for 2 months per year.
Not had that info from them, might look for alternative just incase.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Since you registered for bip etc the system has changed for new accounts. Europe has instigated a new transfer system and many english banks have not yet converted there systems to accept this system. In the long run all will I assume will change over.
What is this new system? Until 2 years ago I worked on a banking payment system and there was no system specific for the EU.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I've had a Fulli tag and have used it in France, Spain and Portugal without issue over the last two years. However I have always had a problem with payments. Initially I had it set up to use a Santander account with correct IBAN, etc. That didn't work and I kept getting late payment notices. So earlier this year I switched to Revolut. And guess what, that didn't work either and I got kicked off the system for not paying my invoice within thr required time. I don't know what I did wrong and communications with Fulli are to say the least difficult. There's no phone line to contact only and online form. And they always respond in French when using the form, so you need Google translate to understand the responses. In conclusion I would say when it works it works well especially if you can get the payment system set up properly. And if not it doesn't tell you it has failed, just that you haven't paid your invoice and you need to pay it that day or else.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
It doesn't work on ANPR it works on the Tag

for us last year we travelled from Calais to Omaha beach Normandy, i think i was about 6 hours drive , we used the Emovis tag , as you roll up to the toll booths the tag beeps and the barrier just opens and you don't have to stop, it costs £8 per year to have the tag. that journey cost us £80.00 there and back as we have Emovis uk it was charged in sterling. this year we took a 6 hour ferry to Caen in a pet friendly cabin, we then travelled about an hour to our base near Omaha beach and not a toll booth in sight. the only problem we found was that if you needed more euros you had to travel back to Caen and the exchange rate was grim,
It doesn't work on ANPR it works on the Tag...
i stand corrected

Upvote 0
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Had an Emovis tag for about three years now. Installed it in the top left corner of the windscreen. Never had any problems with it whatsoever. We try and do 30km/h through the 'express lanes' but always bottle it LOL

Upvote 0
May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
I have recently surrendered my Emovis Liberte Tag, and received my refund.

The refund was made pretty quickly.

Initially, the tag was issued via SANEF, but at some stage of the game it morphed into EMOVIS.

I have surrendered the tag simply due to health issues, and the advancing years. Trips continental Europe are now no longer possible.

We will be stuck holidaying in overcrowded, cramped Britain. :rolleyes:

The tag worked well, and saved the good lady from having to dangle herself out of the passenger window at Toll booths.

The windows on the Fiat Ducato (2013) do not actually lower right down to the bottom of the aperture in the door itself, which limits the access to the automatically operated Toll payment machines. This can be a problem for those of a smaller stature, and could be quite 'uncomfortable', especially for certain parts of the female anatomy.

(Most toll booths are now fully automatic, as the powers that be have pretty much done away with the ones manned by mere human beings).

Although my vehicle does not have a Luton, or anything else that might obstruct the required 'LIne of Sight', I still had to place the tag about 18 inches down from the top of the screen.

The tag worked well, and during the many years that I have used it, there was only one instance of a malfunction, when, for some reason I had to get out of the vehicle and wave the tag in the direction of the sensing device before it would recognise me?

The tag was linked to my bank account (TSB), and I never had any problems with payments, either for the annual fees, or for the overall Toll payments.

One thing to keep one's eye on, is the battery life. The batteries are not replaceable, nor are they rechargeable, (not by the user, anyway) and so when they get near to 'end-of-life', they must be returned, and a replacement requested.

All in all a jolly handy, time-saving device.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
UK was in it and it's not new but you do need an IBAN
We might have been but not all banks have adapted to this eg Santander, virgin, tsb, Well they hadn't when I wanted it, and they all gave me an iban number but as they the bank had not signed up we the customer could not use them I had to use my daughters Lloyds account. I was told it was a new system they EU had introduced. Thank goodness I was never a Banker. I am only a mere potential customer.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We might have been but not all banks have adapted to this eg Santander, virgin, tsb, Well they hadn't when I wanted it, and they all gave me an iban number but as they the bank had not signed up we the customer could not use them I had to use my daughters Lloyds account. I was told it was a new system they EU had introduced. Thank goodness I was never a Banker. I am only a mere potential customer.
Any bank in the world who wanted to send payments into the SEPA region had to format the SWIFT message correctly or they would fail. Santander being a Spanish bank were obviously part of it, TSB were part of Lloyds so used same system so would of been able to do it. Maybe the problem was between the chair and the keyboard 🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I've had a Fulli tag and have used it in France, Spain and Portugal without issue over the last two years. However I have always had a problem with payments. Initially I had it set up to use a Santander account with correct IBAN, etc. That didn't work and I kept getting late payment notices. So earlier this year I switched to Revolut. And guess what, that didn't work either and I got kicked off the system for not paying my invoice within thr required time. I don't know what I did wrong and communications with Fulli are to say the least difficult. There's no phone line to contact only and online form. And they always respond in French when using the form, so you need Google translate to understand the responses. In conclusion I would say when it works it works well especially if you can get the payment system set up properly. And if not it doesn't tell you it has failed, just that you haven't paid your invoice and you need to pay it that day or else.
Hi Gee cee, I have had the same problem with fulli , tag worked great in France this year BUT when the invoices were due they said the dd was not authorised so had to pay by revolut card, so I am thinking of dumping Fulli as I have a bip and go tag as well we will see how that works 🤞

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
We’ve used emovis for years,works perfectly and their charges are hardly going to break the bank are they.
Hi we had emovis last year and was going to use this year but they only go to 3.5 tons so had to go with fulli :( see my other post in reply to Gee Cee

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Hi Gee cee, I have had the same problem with fulli , tag worked great in France this year BUT when the invoices were due they said the dd was not authorised so had to pay by revolut card, so I am thinking of dumping Fulli as I have a bip and go tag as well we will see how that works 🤞
We have had the same issue.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Any bank in the world who wanted to send payments into the SEPA region had to format the SWIFT message correctly or they would fail. Santander being a Spanish bank were obviously part of it, TSB were part of Lloyds so used same system so would of been able to do it. Maybe the problem was between the chair and the keyboard 🤣🤣🤣
Nope as i went into the bank and was told by both banks THEY did not have the new system and were not doing the transfers yet. They even told me the banks that i could use to do it. Lloyds and Nat west. . Notice I said Lloyds but TSB could not do it, i know they were part of the same bank at one time.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back