Bike rack issue or not? (14 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased a camper from a well known member of MHF and have started to make it my own.

Ive added a bike rack (A single door Thule G2 Sport Universal, as they dont seem to make one for the Renault Master) I have mounted it high up enough to clear the rear lights so that isnt an issue, however as the rack is only mounted on the drivers side door (with the rails slid as far Left as possible) The bikes still stick out a few Inches. Probably no more than the mirrors in reality.

What are your thoughts, There is plently of room on the left side, so if i get another rail i could probably cut it in half and somehow extend the existing rails to the left which would put extra strain on the existing rails, however i could strap the extended rails up to the bars that attach to the door for added support.

I just wondered if this is a common issue and what you guys have done?

Pics below.

Thanks all

OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Can you support the left side with a strip from the extension to the top of the left door a bit like they do with some commercial bike racks for hatchbacks.

Thats a good shout actually. I could possibly 3D print something that just hooks around the top of the door then uses a strap down to the trays.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
On my previous PVC, I found my 29" full suspension bike was hanging off of either end of the standard Fiamma rack rail. Fiamma sell an extended length rail (that's also wider, so fits the chonky 2.5" tyres better). It also meant I could reduce the amount the wheel hung beyond the edge of the van.

I've since moved to a coachbuild with a Thule rack and the mountain bike fits ok (ish).

If anyone wants a Fiamma longer rail, I took it off the van before I sold it. It's in the shed... PM me.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
Found this on the RAC website:
'The Highway Code states loads must be secure and 'must not stick out dangerously' or create a dangerous situation for other road users.'

Not very useful. Back in the day it was not to be outside the width of the vehicle mirrors, but lengthwise you could carry a K4 kayak on a mini roof with a coloured flag on the back.
Fit wider mirrors?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
^^^ Possibly most of us have, at some time, clashed mirrors with courier/delivery vans on narrow roads. Wider mirrors increases the chance of that. Speedytriple's solution looks good to me.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The racks need a complete redesign - a bike would be better held vertically. Think of a J shaped channel. It would be easier to load / unload too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Thanks guys,

I did look at the vertical racks, which would have been my choice, however they were a bl00dy fortune and i'm tight/skint

Cheers

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The racks need a complete redesign - a bike would be better held vertically. Think of a J shaped channel. It would be easier to load / unload too.
I guess the issue is that you're almost guaranteed to need repeater lights and plate, which significantly increases complexity and cost.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back