Bike Rack For Ebike (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

NCL

Aug 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Swift
Advice sought re getting 1x 25kg ebike onto the back of a 1998 Fiat Ducato Swift motorhome.

I have a 1998 Fiat Ducato Swift with a Fiamma Carry Bike 200 CL already fitted. It has two bike slots and is weight rated for 50kg however it is missing it's arms and straps so to use this bike rack I'd have to source those spare parts.

My problem is getting the 25kg ebike up from the ground to (any) bike rack.

I found two hand winch type bike racks but I don't seem to have the space at the back of the van (below rear window) to fit them. Current bike rack is 50cm apart top to bottom.

Both the Fiamma 77 and Thule v16 require 68 and 70cm top to bottom which I think will bring me too close to the kitchen window and/or bottom bumper unless I make four new holes.

I have a rear parking camera on the number plate so towing anything will require moving/duplication of my reversing camera.

What other possibilities are there?

Portable manual scissor lift to get the ebike up to current bike rack height?

Some sort of pulley system to raise the bike? (I use a pulley airer at home) and have roof bars and a rear ladder on the motorhome.

Something I haven't thought of?
20240729.jpg20240802.jpg

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Well I would start by taking the battery out of the Ebike. Is that possible? Is it liftable then?

Personally I would not want any weight hanging off the back of my van but I accept that bike racks are common. My Ebike goes in the garage (and the battery in the glove compartment).

OP
OP
N

NCL

Aug 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Swift
Thanks for the reply. The battery is removable but only weighs 3kg so it still means 22kg of weight to lift.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
If you want a bike rack that's easier to load then you're best going for a chassis-mounted rack (they seem fairly rare over here, but are pretty common on the continent). The beauty of these type of racks is that the weight is directly on the chassis rather than the back wall so they can usually take more weight, they're lighter than a tow bar + rack, and they sit around knee height so are much easier to load.

I appreciate that you'll need to do something about your reversing camera, but it doesn't look like one of the wind-up racks will fit your wall because of the window.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Weight
The further the bikes are behind the axle, the greater the weight via leverage..
The chassis attached t bar type adds even more weight.
Advertising you are carrying expensive bikes when parked up……?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
What kind of motor has the bike got? If you are struggling to lift it take the battery and wheels off, store in the van and much less attractive to steal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back