Concerns Over BFG KO2 Tyres Cracking (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
hi i have a set of bfg ko2 all terrain tyres they are just over 2 years old, and 2 of them, showing signs of cracking on the side wall, has anyone else came across this? ,,roque alloys where i bought them asked to send pictures ect now they not answering my emails ,,they said the wheels are warranted for 3 years ,,but the tyres dont have any warranty ?

20240423_184730.jpg

20240423_191956.jpg

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Off Piste slightly but l have just replaced BF Goodrich as l didn’t really need such a serious off road tyre and the roar that comes with them.
Gone for Michelin CrossClimate 2, 10ply not the Camper ones and the date stamp is 2024 so only manufactured a ot 3 months back.
They are very good indeed and the roar is silent by comparison.
Just saying🙂

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If they are two years old you are probably soon to realise how bad they are in wet road conditions! That said, people are saying the compounds have changed somewhat and they are fairing better. But don't go throwing it to any hairpins in the rain :D

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not challenging but the first question I thought the supplier would have asked was "are you running them at the correct inflation pressure" as wall cracking can / will occur if not.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
My original Michelin tyres were all cracked on the sidewalls and had miles and miles of tread wear left in them. Possibly lack of use, parked up for longer periods of time and damaged by the sun. I changed them for another set of Michelin Agilis which lasted a full 10 years, as recommended by Michelin themselves, but used regularly, 80psi all round, check religiously for any signs of wear, psi or cracking and then replaced by these.

IMG_2620.jpeg

I used to be a tyre fitter, so was very keen to examine my 10 year old tyres, both inside and out and they were perfect, in fact the tread had plenty of wear still in them, but I followed the manufacturer’s recommendations of 10 years.

So far I’m loving my new tyres, but time will tell 👍🏻

I’d get yours changed, checked regularly for correct inflation and either use it lots, or lots of short runs to get the tyres rotated and not parked in the same spot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Going by the date code on the sidewall, they were made in May '21, so were probably a year old when you got them, not that should affect the cracking, but I would have expected some sort of pro rata refund from the seller dependent on the mileage you've done ?

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My original Michelin tyres were all cracked on the sidewalls and had miles and miles of tread wear left in them.

I had some Michelin tyres on a van I bought that were 13 years old! They looked great. Very few cracks and an almost new level of tread depth. Except, you may as well have been driving a Fred Flinstone car. They had sort of fossilized, the compound had gone literally rock hard. They had no grip at all on the road and would spin on damp grass! Looks aren't everything when it comes to tyres.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
I had some Michelin tyres on a van I bought that were 13 years old! They looked great. Very few cracks and an almost new level of tread depth. Except, you may as well have been driving a Fred Flinstone car. They had sort of fossilized, the compound had gone literally rock hard. They had no grip at all on the road and would spin on damp grass! Looks aren't everything when it comes to tyres.
I used to get that with new Michelins on my Saab, put me off them. God forbid you got on a white line with them lol.

I am aware this will be car/model specific and not something others may suffer from 👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Not challenging but the first question I thought the supplier would have asked was "are you running them at the correct inflation pressure" as wall cracking can / will occur if not.
hi i did an online check weight ,,tyre size ect ,,ect and was advised of what to run them at ,,i found the ride brilliant compared to the standard michelins ,,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
My original Michelin tyres were all cracked on the sidewalls and had miles and miles of tread wear left in them. Possibly lack of use, parked up for longer periods of time and damaged by the sun. I changed them for another set of Michelin Agilis which lasted a full 10 years, as recommended by Michelin themselves, but used regularly, 80psi all round, check religiously for any signs of wear, psi or cracking and then replaced by these.

View attachment 889749

I used to be a tyre fitter, so was very keen to examine my 10 year old tyres, both inside and out and they were perfect, in fact the tread had plenty of wear still in them, but I followed the manufacturer’s recommendations of 10 years.

I’d get yours changed, checked regularly for correct inflation and either use it lots, or lots of short runs to get the tyres rotated and not parked in the same spot.
i too was in tyre fitting many moons back ,,the were kept at the advised psi,,one tyre is split all the way round

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

View attachment 889749

Can I ask ‘what mileage have you done on those tyres?’

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Going by the date code on the sidewall, they were made in May '21, so were probably a year old when you got them, not that should affect the cracking, but I would have expected some sort of pro rata refund from the seller dependent on the mileage you've done ?
roque alloys ,,saying there is no warranty on them ? i have contacted Michelin my self ,,who said take them to your nearest michelin dealer for assessment

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Hi I have to change all my tryes as well, are you saying these tyres Michelin 225/75/R16 Cross Climate are as good as any others I'am lost with all the good and bad comments.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
I’m reading good and bad on forums so no better off in choosing really?
I think I need Michelin Cross Climate 225/75 R16 CP are these as good Continental?

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Can I ask ‘what mileage have you done on those tyres?’
The first set were cracked when I brought the van second hand and had been fitted from new and 6 years old and 11000 miles. The set I then put on and ran for the 10 years, covered approximately 40000 miles. They carried on performing well, even in the wet, but as the manufacturer said change at the recommended 10 years, I did.

The newest ones I only had fitted a few months back and probably 2000 miles so far.

All tyres kept at 80psi.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
I also have the Bf Goodrich Ko2 and i had a advisory on this years mot for tyre walls cracked. Our tyres are three years old! The garage said it was down to lack of use and mileage but nothing to worry about..

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I also have the Bf Goodrich Ko2 and i had a advisory on this years mot for tyre walls cracked. Our tyres are three years old! The garage said it was down to lack of use and mileage but nothing to worry about..

The tyres are designed to run almost flat when in mud, so that might necessitate a softer tyre wall, I've had mine down to 12psi before now, they are a great tyre on a 4b4.

I suppose BFG's are famous for three things, being awesome at low pressure in mud and rock, sidewall cracks and splits and letting go in the wet, why people put them on motorhomes is beyond me.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The tyres are designed to run almost flat when in mud, so that might necessitate a softer tyre wall, I've had mine down to 12psi before now, they are a great tyre on a 4b4.

I suppose BFG's are famous for three things, being awesome at low pressure in mud and rock, sidewall cracks and splits and letting go in the wet, why people put them on motorhomes is beyond me.
Isn’t it because many people get concerned that they will get stuck in a grass field so spend a fortune on tyres who’s resondetra is traversing over rough ground, yet they spend 90% of the time on Tarmac 🤪.
I thought about them but have decided just to get 16ins Alloys and Conti 4 season tyres when my current tyres give up.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Isn’t it because many people get concerned that they will get stuck in a grass field

I think everyone saw Gadget John fit a set. :D That said... Plenty of dealers are fitting them now too, they look good and are relatively cheap. I have heard that the BFG K03 are much better than the KO2, but I've no experience of them

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
ok did they say why they advised it ? if its nothing to worry about ,

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back