Beware of Mirror Scam in Italy (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
We have just had an incident in Italy and a scam tried .
We were leaving a agritourismo in puglia this morning when a alfa romeo sped past us and then stopped on the side of the road further
on. As we passed him we heard a loud bang, we carried on slowly and the alfa romeo caught up with us and honked his horn and flashed his lights. We know not to stop , but we did as there was only one person in the car. He maintained that we had broken his wing mirror and pointed to a large dark mark towards the rear on the side of the van. We know that we were no where near him as we passed. Immediately we thought this was a scam. Looking at his mirror the outer casing was fine, but he did have a shattered lens. There was no indentation on our van and the black mark was removable. When confronted and told we were no where near him and to get stuffed. He turned and made a hasty exit before we could mention polizia ,funny that!!
I phoned the agritourismo and told her what had happened , she mentioned that this had happened to another motorhome a month ago. She was apologetic and said someone in the village will know who it was by my description and information.
I have posted this just to inform everyone that this well known scam is still rip... beware.
we will not let it spoil our holiday in Italy and the next ,very friendly, site owner at the cart sosta in matera has polished the mark out for us, whilst muttering expletives about his fellow country men scam artists!!

View attachment 809756
Happened to me in Sicily wanted €200 didnt realise the wife phoned police they tried to say it was a mistake

Apr 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since 2021
Thanks for the information that has been mentioned in this post, we have not ventured to Italy yet so it is nice to hear that there is a camping/Motorhome site that we could go to, and to be aware of this type of thing, does it happen all the time in some areas only?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
This isn’t just an issue “abroad”
A few weeks ago I was attending a festival nr Stockport and whilst driving down a narrow road with parked vehicles on one side I heard a loud bang and saw that my passenger mirror was folded back
I knew I was nowhere near any parked vehicle
As I arrived at the festival entrance two men appeared in a white van and began shouting through my window demanding cash for the clearly old mirror they had in their hands
When I wouldn’t pay one of them ripped my mirror off
They then pulled their t shirts over their faces and drove off quickly in a van with no plates
Stockport and Festival in one sentence!.

May I ask where in Stockport and what was the festival please ,

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We had similar three years ago with the driver being somewhat aggressive.

I took him around to the front of the motorhome and pointed out the dash cam, took out my phone and said “Police?”. He decided it was time to leave, with I believe to be a few expletives trailing behind him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
This isn’t just an issue “abroad”
A few weeks ago I was attending a festival nr Stockport and whilst driving down a narrow road with parked vehicles on one side I heard a loud bang and saw that my passenger mirror was folded back
I knew I was nowhere near any parked vehicle
As I arrived at the festival entrance two men appeared in a white van and began shouting through my window demanding cash for the clearly old mirror they had in their hands
When I wouldn’t pay one of them ripped my mirror off
They then pulled their t shirts over their faces and drove off quickly in a van with no plates
whitebottom farm ?

Aug 3, 2020
Herefordshire/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Exp
Just had the same in Italy heading north to Verona. Passed a car parked in a lay-by and heard a loud bang. Had no idea what it was. Car that was parked then overtook us and put his hazards on. I stopped thinking something might have come off the van. He then shows me his mirror (broken casing), goes to the van and shows me a mark. Tells me I need to watch we’re I’m going.. then shows me a pic on his phone… ad for a wing mirror, €398. He wanted cash and started getting very agitated, pointing out his wife/girlfriend was pregnant. I said “insurance” and he said “cash”. At this point (foolish with hindsight) I thought it might be true.. but that he’d caused it by pulling out of the lay-by. He then said €200. I said no cash and he said €100.. again pointing out his pregnant partner. My wife came to the rescue.. checked his partner was ok and said “let’s get the police”. At which point he made a rude gesture, got back in his car and drove off. I later checked the mark on the van (which rubbed off easily) and it’s the wrong height for a mirror. As they, you live and learn.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just had the same in Italy heading north to Verona. Passed a car parked in a lay-by and heard a loud bang. Had no idea what it was. Car that was parked then overtook us and put his hazards on. I stopped thinking something might have come off the van. He then shows me his mirror (broken casing), goes to the van and shows me a mark. Tells me I need to watch we’re I’m going.. then shows me a pic on his phone… ad for a wing mirror, €398. He wanted cash and started getting very agitated, pointing out his wife/girlfriend was pregnant. I said “insurance” and he said “cash”. At this point (foolish with hindsight) I thought it might be true.. but that he’d caused it by pulling out of the lay-by. He then said €200. I said no cash and he said €100.. again pointing out his pregnant partner. My wife came to the rescue.. checked his partner was ok and said “let’s get the police”. At which point he made a rude gesture, got back in his car and drove off. I later checked the mark on the van (which rubbed off easily) and it’s the wrong height for a mirror. As they, you live and learn.
Got Verona on our route for autumn trip so I am glad you have highlighted this scam again - well done for not falling for it.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Mine was the same in scicily a fiat 500

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Thank you all for this warning. We would probably have fallen for this and just paid up so we could get on with our journey. Seems the best thing to do is say lets call the police.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Thank you all for this warning. We would probably have fallen for this and just paid up so we could get on with our journey. Seems the best thing to do is say lets call the police.
And pi55 them off by pointing out that the ‘mark’ on your van isn’t the same height as the car mirror.

AGT

Nov 22, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
The OP’s Puglia scammer is back out for the 2024 season.

This morning we were on the SP48 about 10kms short of Altamura (close to Bari). I passed a white Alfa (now with black mirror casings) which was parked just off the edge of the road. I know I didn’t hit it because I indicated and moved across the solid line to give it some space. We heard a bang. He followed me for a while: lights flashing, horn, pulling alongside and gesticulating. I didn’t plan to stop but thanks to a moment of Waze madness he was able to pass me and block the road. Fortunately, a truck came the other way and so he had to unblock the road. He was on his own, well dressed and not particularly physically threatening. He held up his phone with €185 in large print shouting about calling the police. He was not overly impressed with my offer of my business card and suggestion that he email me at my Studio Legale. We drove off and he didn’t follow. What do these people talk about when they go home in the evening!

Not a pleasant experience. The black mark on my van is crayon or marker pen and will rub off. Not so for the dent on the door where he must have hit it with a stick to create the bang.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
To be honest it's nothing new, it's like the Heathrow based insurance accident gang who will brake check you with emergency braking at roundabouts to get someone to hit their car up ass for an accient claim against insurers. The difference is in that case they are scamming your insurnace rather than you directly.

I've seen many cases of it when working at heathrow, and have a wifi camera so I can stop and share the bad behaviour of the scammers with the poor holidaymaker on more than one occasion (they target cars without obvious dashcams around the roundabout between t4 and t5)

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015

CJK

Jul 2, 2022
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2009
We were leaving a agritourismo in puglia this morning when a alfa romeo sped past us and then stopped on the side of the road further
on. As we passed him we heard a loud bang, we carried on slowly and the alfa romeo caught up with us and honked his horn and flashed his lights. We know not to stop , but we did as there was only one person in the car. He maintained that we had broken his wing mirror and pointed to a large dark mark towards the rear on the side of the van. We know that we were no where near him as we passed. Immediately we thought this was a scam. Looking at his mirror the outer casing was fine, but he did have a shattered lens. There was no indentation on our van and the black mark was removable. When confronted and told we were no where near him and to get stuffed. He turned and made a hasty exit before we could mention polizia ,funny that!!
I phoned the agritourismo and told her what had happened , she mentioned that this had happened to another motorhome a month ago. She was apologetic and said someone in the village will know who it was by my description and information.
I have posted this just to inform everyone that this well known scam is still rip... beware.
we will not let it spoil our holiday in Italy and the next ,very friendly, site owner at the cart sosta in matera has polished the mark out for us, whilst muttering expletives about his fellow country men scam artists!!

View attachment 809756
Weird. Thanks for the alert - you wouldn’t expect someone in a flash car to go for that kind of game, would you?

Joc

Jul 5, 2018
Bluntisham, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
Since 2018

View attachment 809756
Yep, happened to us in Sicily about 6 weeks ago on our way up to Mount Etna. Told him to go away in short jerky movements!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back