Beware: Factory Reset on Hymer/Carthago (Alphatronics) TV (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I foolishly did a Factory Reset on our Alphatronics TV thinkin it would go back how it left the motorhome factory (seemeed reasonable to me).

Rediculously, it went back to how it left China. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

It now does nothing and Alphatronics say it probably has to go back to them.

They have given me link to download some software onto SD card. But the TV does not have an SD card slot.

So, beware: Don't do it. The TV is not as smart as they say!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
You may be able to put a SD card into an external SD card reader that plugs in

One on Amazon here
You local PC world would have a selection
otherwise google 'external SD Card Reader' and see what you find

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It should have a USB slot into which you put a SD card reader so that you can use the software you've downloaded onto the SD card. TVs as a general rule don't have actual SD card slots.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Put the software on a usb stick formatted fat32. Nothing else on the usb stick and usually no more than 16gb in size. When you power on the tv it should see the firmware update. Then leave it to work for a few minutes until something comes up on the tv in English.

That is the usual process

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
How about Google Translate on a camera phone? It may help you find the language menu option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
LithiumConvert
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
All good points, Thank You.

But, nothing new, I'm afraid.

I have the software on a 16GB USB stick

And I can get the low level (Linux?) upgrade menu but it expects the software on an SD card. 😧😧😧

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
All good points, Thank You.

But, nothing new, I'm afraid.

I have the software on a 16GB USB stick

And I can get the low level (Linux?) upgrade menu but it expects the software on an SD card. 😧😧😧
So get a SD card and and USB converter.
Put SD Card into USB reader and then see what happens

Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
I've asked my contact at Alphatronics about this, and apparently the SD card request is a Red Herring at it should work with the USB stick.

OP
OP
LithiumConvert
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
This topic was posted as a warning - not to do a factory reset. Rather than asking for advice.

But, as I have now been offered advice, I will post this update.

I have found two suggestions on how to load new software:
  • Option 1 leads to a low level "recovery" screen asking for software on an SD card.
    Useless because the TV does not have an SD card slot.
  • Option 2 loads new software from a USB memory stick.
    and this option works. I now have a working TV.
Basically, put the USB stick in USB slot 2 and switch on whilst holding down the on/off button on the back of the TV and follow the on screen instructions. Simples.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
LithiumConvert You can manually reset the channels to your liking on most TV's although I must admit I don't know the process for the Alphatronics off the top of my head. Normally there should be an option for a "fist time installation" in the menu structure or if not then go to a channel scan. The TV's don't always have an up to date frequency list in their memory so when scanning you change the scan mode to "blind" which will scan for new frequencies as well as channels and then scan them all in. After everything is scanned in you'll have to go into the channel edit function where you should be able to reorder the channels to your liking. I did one of the Alphatronics Smart TV's last week so with it in front of me I can do it but the process just isn't seared onto my mind unfortunately.

Oh and thanks Brains for the tag.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I really feel your frustration. The Alphatronic is the worst no intuitive piece of electronic junk I have ever had the misfortune of being associated with, even the remote control is non logical. The simplest of tasks were anything but simple. They are the TV of choice for Morelo. Both of mine from the current van are in the garage replaced by LG units.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back