Best route to the Dolomites..next week (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
We have confirmed last minute to go to Dolomites and Italian Lakes leaving next Monday for 5 weeks. I had been trip planning, just external factors have delayed us slightly, so I do have a google map in full swing, I am just trying to firm up the route down. From threads I have read I think we will take the Calais to Lille, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany route into Austria where we will take the non toll (we are 3650kg so too much hassle to buy the go box for one day in Austria!) across the Brenner Pass.

I have read some threads on here and made a note of some stops, but we generally only travel 3/4 hours a day as we have our large, slightly nervous traveller, dog with us who does not lay down and sleep and I am trying from to work out a route from the info I have gained. I think most people probably go further than us in a day! Is there a better route through Belgium? Is the road condition any better (We went to Ypres last year so have experienced Belgium concrete roads!) North or South, i.e if we were to go Bruge, Ghent, around Brussels and down to Luxembourg or Lille/Tournai/Mons, or take the hit with tolls and stick to France?!

Any good stopovers tips would be appreciated, I think we would like to stop Luxembourg or the border in the Ardenne forest area as that looks beautiful. We try to find 'green' places to stop, nice for walking the dog and stretching our legs and if there is a nice little village/town to walk to great but not necessary.

We will probably come back Switzerland way.

OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Hi- was typing from memory. It was in Erlenbach bei Dahn, called Naturcampingplatz “Am Berwartstein”. Deep in forest , basic, but only a few miles to motorway.
Then Camping Ettenbeuren at Kammeltal ( near Gunzburg and Legoland). Very neat small campsite run by strict but fun lady!
Got both these on Park4night.
Happy planning!
Brilliant thank you. I was looking on search for sites as I have it on my home PC, but I use both when travelling. Found it now and added to maps :)

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Check your weather forecasts carefully. We are in Fussen heading towards Innsbruck and the Arlberg. Heavy snow forecast in parts of Alps over next couple of days 😟

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back