Best route to the Dolomites..next week (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
We have confirmed last minute to go to Dolomites and Italian Lakes leaving next Monday for 5 weeks. I had been trip planning, just external factors have delayed us slightly, so I do have a google map in full swing, I am just trying to firm up the route down. From threads I have read I think we will take the Calais to Lille, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany route into Austria where we will take the non toll (we are 3650kg so too much hassle to buy the go box for one day in Austria!) across the Brenner Pass.

I have read some threads on here and made a note of some stops, but we generally only travel 3/4 hours a day as we have our large, slightly nervous traveller, dog with us who does not lay down and sleep and I am trying from to work out a route from the info I have gained. I think most people probably go further than us in a day! Is there a better route through Belgium? Is the road condition any better (We went to Ypres last year so have experienced Belgium concrete roads!) North or South, i.e if we were to go Bruge, Ghent, around Brussels and down to Luxembourg or Lille/Tournai/Mons, or take the hit with tolls and stick to France?!

Any good stopovers tips would be appreciated, I think we would like to stop Luxembourg or the border in the Ardenne forest area as that looks beautiful. We try to find 'green' places to stop, nice for walking the dog and stretching our legs and if there is a nice little village/town to walk to great but not necessary.

We will probably come back Switzerland way.

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Try camping eau zone in the Ardennes and have breakfast in dinant , shoot across to Moselle in Germany - our preferred site is zellerhoff in mehring . From there direct to fussen maybe

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
AT Expedition 68
I did that earlier this year. Rather than Luxembourg I went back into France and stayed at Strasbourg. Then headed through Germany and into Austria over Fern Pass to stay in natters. The campsite at nattersee is nice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
I did that earlier this year. Rather than Luxembourg I went back into France and stayed at Strasbourg. Then headed through Germany and into Austria over Fern Pass to stay in natters. The campsite at nattersee is nice.
Did you still drive through Belgium or stay in France?

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
We did Calais to a nice Aire at Phalsbourg https://maps.apple.com/?address=Rue...743,7.258082&q=Gerry McGarrity’s Location&t=m
Then next day, a big push through Germany, (had to go via Garmish Partenkirchen due to a closed road following a RTA) , into Austria at Innsbruck, then over the Brenner Pass (€12 toll) then into Italy - we went to `the Alti Badia valley and it was superb
IMG_1483.jpeg
IMG_1484.jpeg
b433414e-27f8-4e69-9ee4-eabd97ab354f.jpeg
IMG_1538.jpeg
eb576f1d-c030-4caa-a4b3-66cf78910bf7.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
We did Calais to a nice Aire at Phalsbourg https://maps.apple.com/?address=Rue du Commandant Taillant, 57370 Phalsbourg, France&ll=48.765743,7.258082&q=Gerry McGarrity’s Location&t=m
Then next day, a big push through Germany, (had to go via Garmish Partenkirchen due to a closed road following a RTA) , into Austria at Innsbruck, then over the Brenner Pass (€12 toll) then into Italy - we went to `the Alti Badia valley and it was superb View attachment 946736View attachment 946741View attachment 946743View attachment 946744View attachment 946745
Thats great to hear as that is Alla Badia is on my Dolomites stopover list too! I bought a walking book and that looks a good base for walks, one of many though, hard to choose! So I assume you went through France instead of Belgium looking at that stopover? I will add it to my list as could be good for day 2 if we go that way.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Rodemack just in France is our new stopover of choice round the area of 5 hours to/from Calais.

Loads of pointers on the journals
Thank you. Yes I have been reading through some this afternoon, very useful. I think we will probably stop nearer 3 hours from Calais. We have the 11am tunnel crossing booked as we have to go to vets first and figured could be busy when they open at 9am! I think we will go to Bruge on the way home and sort him a pet passport, can do things shorter notice then!

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The Alti Badia was lovely - we stayed at campsite at Sciare (1600m (West of plan below).
We struggled to find campsites that were not too Butlins - but this one was nice, though not cheap - but you can book)
https://maps.apple.com/?address=Via Sciare 11, 39036 Badia BZ, Italy&auid=10382127086887464655&ll=46.554153,11.970109&lsp=9902&q=Camping Sass Dlacia&t=m
The walking was excellent and you can get a bus throughout the valley for €2 each way (e.g San Cassiano to Corvara) - we were walking and eMTB.
Trail maps below
IMG_1502.jpeg

IMG_1527.jpeg
IMG_1528.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
We crossed from Germany to Italy today through Austria, non toll as we're 4.25 Tonnes and faffing about with the GoBox was not an option.

The route we took : entered Austria from Mittenwald (Germany) and followed the 'blue' 177 route via Innsbruck to Brenner. Beyond Innsbruck it literally shadows the A13, and there were a couple of junctions where you need to take care not to join the motorway. It was a nice twisty drive. Not too challenging at all, but I think you have to ignore a number of over 3.5 tonnes prohibitions.

Now settled at a free parkup at Racines. Would definitely use this route again and it's only about 50km in Austria to end up in Italy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Harwich, hook of holland overnight.
In Germany by breakfast
Camp on the Rhein
Fussen
Italian Lakes

It's the shortest and quickest of the routes
And avoids France and the tolls
Yes I had read a recommendation for this route, as being the quickest, but we are coming from the South West and our dog is a nervous traveler...haven't tried ferries yet with him, not sure I fancy them either!...we use the tunnel as its very pet friendly, but this is good to know especially if it is just the two of us anytime.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
We crossed from Germany to Italy today through Austria, non toll as we're 4.25 Tonnes and faffing about with the GoBox was not an option.

The route we took : entered Austria from Mittenwald (Germany) and followed the 'blue' 177 route via Innsbruck to Brenner. Beyond Innsbruck it literally shadows the A13, and there were a couple of junctions where you need to take care not to join the motorway. It was a nice twisty drive. Not too challenging at all, but I think you have to ignore a number of over 3.5 tonnes prohibitions.

Now settled at a free parkup at Racines. Would definitely use this route again and it's only about 50km in Austria to end up in Italy.
Oh thats good to hear. It looked like it was close to the motorway, a pain you cant just easily pay a toll but it sounds like it was fine. We might bump into you on our travels lol! What stops did you do on the way down? I am thinking we will probably need 3 nights and am always open to take longer if we find somewhere we want to linger longer although I am conscious of time this time with weather in Dolomites.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
She was our lovely working cocker… we lost her very suddenly 2 weeks ago - she was only 10 - and a beautiful gentle trail dog…. This was her above the Alti Badia mountain biking in July 💔View attachment 946826
Oh no I am so sorry to hear that :( we lost one of our Golden retrievers suddenly at that age, it is heart-breaking especially when they had been fit and well. She looks beautiful and sounds like she had been living her best life. Thinking of you and thank you for taking the time to reply at this sad time

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Rodemack just in France is our new stopover of choice round the area of 5 hours to/from Calais.

Loads of pointers on the journals
Great stopover, I was there last week following your recommendation, thankyou suavecarve
The aire can get a bit muddy I imagine during wet weather.
The other aire that the coaches used is now a construction site so won't be reopening.
Short walk to lovely BVoF

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Great stopover, I was there last week following your recommendation, thankyou suavecarve
The aire can get a bit muddy I imagine during wet weather.
The other aire that the coaches used is now a construction site so won't be reopening.
Short walk to lovely BVoF
Did you find the microbrewery ?

We seem to find it all the time.

The aire isn't the greatest, but it's worth it for the town.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson
We did 10.30 Tunnel crossing last week with dogs then got to Honnelles /Roisin small village just in Belgium (115 miles) for first night. Another 95 miles to Bohan sur Semois next day ( lovely site dog friendly & river walks). Then 100 miles to Sierck Les Bains (basic municipal site but riverside walk). Then 115 miles onto Erlenbach bei Dahn in German forest. Then 150 miles to Etterbeuren for rural lovely small site with biergarten & streamside walk. We are headed to Slovenia so now in Inzell ( just inside Germany).
Keep an eye on weather as getting cold & wet in Alps in next week!

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

We must have passed you, stayed in Mittenwald last night and came back up via Garmisch and Oberammergau back up to Landsberg am Lech where we are tonight, might pop in to Nordligen tomorrow👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
We did 10.30 Tunnel crossing last week with dogs then got to Honnelles /Roisin small village just in Belgium (115 miles) for first night. Another 95 miles to Bohan sur Semois next day ( lovely site dog friendly & river walks). Then 100 miles to Sierck Les Bains (basic municipal site but riverside walk). Then 115 miles onto Erlenbach bei Dahn in German forest. Then 150 miles to Etterbeuren for rural lovely small site with biergarten & streamside walk. We are headed to Slovenia so now in Inzell ( just inside Germany).
This is brilliant thanks! Yes we had a look at Windy earlier this week and saw it was getting colder & snow was forecast end of this week...I then saw some snow pics on the Dolomites FB group I am following for yesterday! I think it is warmer back up after so hopefully we will get snow capped mountains but ok roads, but will keep an eye on it! We do carry snow socks just incase :) I love snow but hubby is the one that has to drive in it not me lol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
There is a lot of rain in Alti Badia today 30mm!, 50mm in last 29hrs View attachment 946963
Hopefully it will have ran out by the time we get there...or we will have to drive slower lol! We had considered going to Scotland instead this week, while we waited for our sons delayed house move, but saw the forecast there and decided we had more chance of a bit of Autumn warmth in Italy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z
Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Sorry just looking up campsites & I cant seem to find one in Erlenbach bei Dahn what was the name of the one you stayed and was it Camping Ottobeuren you stayed at next? Its been very helpful because it has shown me the route even if we dont make the same stops. We tend to decide on the day but I like to have some options written down so I have some ideas!

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Hi- was typing from memory. It was in Erlenbach bei Dahn, called Naturcampingplatz “Am Berwartstein”. Deep in forest , basic, but only a few miles to motorway.
Then Camping Ettenbeuren at Kammeltal ( near Gunzburg and Legoland). Very neat small campsite run by strict but fun lady!
Got both these on Park4night.
Happy planning!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back