Best place to get my 12v Systems upgraded (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 18, 2016
Rhayader, Powys
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 335 LWB
Exp
Hi, I’m thinking of changing my electric fridge in my camper van to a three way fridge cos every time I’m at a rally my fridge defrosts and I loose all my food. I understand there’s a lot of work involved so these are my questions I hope someone on funsters can help me.I’m looking into getting a lithium battery plus victron solar control panel, this is through off grid solutions as a fun member has has lots of work done on his van and are pleased with the work and haven’t been ripped off.So 1, where’s the best place to get one from and at a good price plus having it fitted without it costing a arm and leg. I’m hoping someone on the funster has had work done like this so please HELP ME.Looking forward to your advise

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi, I’m thinking of changing my electric fridge in my camper van to a three way fridge cos every time I’m at a rally my fridge defrosts and I loose all my food. I understand there’s a lot of work involved so these are my questions I hope someone on funsters can help me.I’m looking into getting a lithium battery plus victron solar control panel, this is through off grid solutions as a fun member has has lots of work done on his van and are pleased with the work and haven’t been ripped off.So 1, where’s the best place to get one from and at a good price plus having it fitted without it costing a arm and leg. I’m hoping someone on the funster has had work done like this so please HELP ME.Looking forward to your advise
After various problems with my own absorption fridge I took it out and replaced it with a compressor fridge. It’s a significant improvement and one I would recommend. Even on very hot days and vehicle in a slope it works flawlessly.
I even fitted a shunt to measure and monitor what the fridge uses on an average day … between 30 to 35ah over hours. My solar panels cope with that easily, and having also changed over to a diesel combi boiler I estimate I’ll refill my LPG tank every two years.

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I wouldn't go back to a 3 way fridge, upgrade to lithium and solar and your compressor fridge will be fine. We have a compressor fridge and prior to getting lithium, the fridge would be lucky to last 2 or 3 days off grid , now given a reasonable amount of sun, I have never fallen below 80% battery capacity.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Alfieplustwo Sonia, as you know I had the same van as you. As mentioned by other’s Lithium is the best solution but can be expensive. By now your existing leisure battery is probably past its best (run too low too often). You could consider replacing the battery you have with 2 similar ones that will fit in the under seat area (this is what I did). You could also add another solar panel on your roof with a decent MPPT controller. All this you could get for under £500. I agree with Golly - the compressor fridge is better. Swoping to a 3 way fridge with all the work required will cost more than the solution I have suggested.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
A three way fridge means running new gas pipes from the existing manifold (under your cooker maybe?) where the gas taps are, to your fridge, possibly under the floor.

Then cutting two vents into the side of the van.

It may not have the space to accommodate the burner and flue.

It may need an additional cable run from the starter battery for when driving.

And then making sure you are always parked nearly level. No more running the fridge on a slope.

Get the Lithium and chargers installed by Offgrid, then see how you get on. You will probably never run out of battery power again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
Gas can’t go under the van
Needs to go inside!

I would suggest going to three way is a retrograde step. Loads of solar and lithium and stick with your compressor fridge, always assuming it is compressor!!

I’m about to go to compressor from three way!

Tony

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Alfieplustwo Sonia, as you know I had the same van as you. As mentioned by other’s Lithium is the best solution but can be expensive. By now your existing leisure battery is probably past its best (run too low too often). You could consider replacing the battery you have with 2 similar ones that will fit in the under seat area (this is what I did). You could also add another solar panel on your roof with a decent MPPT controller. All this you could get for under £500. I agree with Golly - the compressor fridge is better. Swoping to a 3 way fridge with all the work required will cost more than the solution I have suggested.
Agreed apart from Fogstar (no discount available at the moment) have a great sale on at the moment and 280 ah of lithium is 680 and fitted under my seat and the Eco 305 ah is less than 500 quid (and I think that fits under a seat) rather than 2 gels to get even more available battery bank

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I recently took a one year old 3 way out and replaced it with a 240v compressor fridge (and small seperate inverter )Massive improvement.I also upgraded the 12v system 50amp B2B with mppt and starter battery maintainer built in and 340amp lithium battery with heater and Bluetooth+ 640w solar cost Inc fridge circa £1k,also now have room under passenger seat for another lithium if I find I need it,
All the removed stuff (batteries,b2b(30a)with mppt and 3 way for sale if anyones interested)

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I am just waiting for a new Thetford t2160 compressor fridge to arrive and replace our Dometic RMDT 8505 as we are going more Electric due to lpg getting harder to find, we already have lithium

hi Steve

may I ask where you’ve purchased from as we’re thinking of doing the same

Al 👍

Upvote 0
May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
Get a compressor fridge they seem to do the job for me 12v only

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2023
Black Country
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
9 years
HI
I recently took a one year old 3 way out and replaced it with a 240v compressor fridge (and small seperate inverter )Massive improvement.I also upgraded the 12v system 50amp B2B with mppt and starter battery maintainer built in and 340amp lithium battery with heater and Bluetooth+ 640w solar cost Inc fridge circa £1k,also now have room under passenger seat for another lithium if I find I need it,
All the removed stuff (batteries,b2b(30a)with mppt and 3 way for sale if anyones interested)
Hi Steve I have just had our savannah up graded all victron and a 460 amp fogstar battery. The work was done by a company called BlueFix and they are not the cheapest but know what they are doing. Our 3 way thetford fridge freezer packed up so now have there 12v equivalent best thing we have done. This what I have now.

20240404_211555.jpg

20240404_211549.jpg

20240404_211541.jpg

20240404_211530.jpg

20240404_185840.jpg

20240404_185855.jpg

20240404_210745.jpg

20240405_095054.jpg

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
HI

Hi Steve I have just had our savannah up graded all victron and a 460 amp fogstar battery. The work was done by a company called BlueFix and they are not the cheapest but know what they are doing. Our 3 way thetford fridge freezer packed up so now have there 12v equivalent best thing we have done. This what I have now.

it was BlueFix who installed a friends Multiplus II on its back in the lounge area between the floors and it kept overheating, they had to install extra fans I believe to keep it cooler.

They’d also wired something incorrectly he said and had to return for them to rectify it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Any 12v lithium solar ones experts / engineers in the Southampton area that can be recommended ?

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

I gave you the best advice last week Sonia

Nigel and Roger at Offgrid Power Solutions will look after you, you can see from the amount of folk recommending them that is the way to go 👍

Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2018
Swindon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria izola 5687sp
Exp
since 2018
Off grid are upgrading my system for me. They definitely get good reviews and I’ve spoke to them a few times at Warner shows, very knowledgeable

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back