Best Place to Buy Fiat Ducato Parts? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Can anyone advise the most competitive place to buy Fiat Ducato parts. I may ned a starter motor, so rang Guest Trucks, Peterborough.
They have one in stock for .............wait for it................£401.92 plus VAT!!!!!!!v WTF!!!!!!!
He also said he had given discount without me asking so even he must havee been embarrassed.
I asked does that include fitting and a full service and he said no without laughing!!!!!!!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Try a place called " parts world" that where I got my air bag ECU from.

OP
OP
Lazyboy
Apr 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Quick update. So far only Fiat main dealer is able to supply. Price ranging from £480 to £540!!!!
Coastal motorhomes have not yet been able to identify it. Local factors including GSF and Euro Car Parts not able to supply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Quick update. So far only Fiat main dealer is able to supply. Price ranging from £480 to £540!!!!
Coastal motorhomes have not yet been able to identify it. Local factors including GSF and Euro Car Parts not able to supply.
I feel for you, £480 to £540 is taking the proverbial, Back in the day it would have been £50 at most.
My advice would be keep trying, if no luck then try a breakers yard, it wont be new but if it works then its better than a starting handle.
Whats the world coming to when we hear about gearboxes costing 4/5K and recon engines 8K with 6 month guarantees if we are lucky!
Good luck, keep us posted.(y)
LES

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Did you try auto doc

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If you can get a part number then it's usually pretty easy to cross reference to different manufacturers to find a replacement part at much cheaper prices

OP
OP
Lazyboy
Apr 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Did you try auto doc

Next on the list.
I have the Fiat part number which has been superceded. ( I have the supercession )
The hunt continues. Interesting that so far three suppliers have said "they will have a look and call me back", gues what? No one has called back!! Why bother in the first place?

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Try these?! https://www.autoelectricalrepair.co.uk/

I’ve had loads of old/ high mileage cars over the years and have had several dynamos, alternators and starter motors rewound, normally around £50 in today’s money. It’s normally the brushes or the solenoid or the spring loaded bendix that pack up, non of which are difficult to fix. The only issue you may have is getting the blighter out of the engine bay and back on when its fixed.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Speak to Grantham Electrical in Peterborough - rebuilt a 12v step motor for me overnight.

Say "Jevon with the RV step motor" asked me to get in touch.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Quite a few on EBay if you can match it. Also are you sure it is the starter motor and not the solenoid?

OP
OP
Lazyboy
Apr 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Bit further on. Spoke to this guy who is based at Crowland, Nr Peterborough. Top guy. Charges £20 to test and check alternators and starters and can rebuild most.
The Starter Motor & Alternator Company can supply at £184. AS from Poland which is the same units that autoelectricalrepair.co.uk use. I have been steered in a slightly different direction now having spoken to Rod at autoelectrical so hopefully problem will be resolved shortly. The difficulty is that it is a very intermittent fault.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
There have been many instances of starter motor faults on Ducatos, that have been resolved by fitting additional engine earth strap. The original is very suspect.

Geoff

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
Can anyone advise the most competitive place to buy Fiat Ducato parts. I may ned a starter motor, so rang Guest Trucks, Peterborough.
They have one in stock for .............wait for it................£401.92 plus VAT!!!!!!!v WTF!!!!!!!
He also said he had given discount without me asking so even he must havee been embarrassed.
I asked does that include fitting and a full service and he said no without laughing!!!!!!!
You don't provide enough detail for anyone to help you very well but search ALL the online parts suppliers and you will find it. A quick generic search through Autodoc AG UK supply point brings up 505 quid, so your offer of 400 looks good to me. Buy it an have a new part?

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Try these?! https://www.autoelectricalrepair.co.uk/

I’ve had loads of old/ high mileage cars over the years and have had several dynamos, alternators and starter motors rewound, normally around £50 in today’s money. It’s normally the brushes or the solenoid or the spring loaded bendix that pack up, non of which are difficult to fix. The only issue you may have is getting the blighter out of the engine bay and back on when its fixed.
Yes but the OP's starter motor will not be an old Lucas inertial engagement unit, time move on for better or worse.

Jan 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
Looking
Bosch starter for 08 ducato £201.49 from Halfords yesterday. £60 cheaper than euro car parts which was odd as the guy said when I picked it up as it was delivered from euro car parts .

OP
OP
Lazyboy
Apr 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Just to bring it up to date.
CamperManLez I have searched a lot of places on line but there is quite a variance in what is available. i.e. 1.9kw, 1.7kw, 2.5kw then 11 teeth etc. I have a 2021 Ducato with ZF box. Prices vary considerably. I telephoned a couple and they were not convinced which one would fit. Autodoc web site is unable to verify correct motor.
Penfold63 Halfords were helpful but they could not definitely confirm the exact motor reuired. They did say if it is in the workshop and the wrong one is supplied they would get the correct one and go again. Only one snag, they could not get the van into their workshop onto theirv ramps!!
Anyway, moving on, I was looking at a new starter having had a long conversation with a mobile autoelectrician who "suggested" that the starter was most probaly the cause of our problem.
I then found the company in Plympton (The starter motor & alternator co. Ltd.) who had the correct motor made by AS in Poland at a cost of £184 delivered.
RustyRuss Before ordering it I decided to talk to autoelectricalrepair at Crowland who is very knowledgeable. Incidently, he uses AS components as well and gives them a good name. After a very long chat (bearing in mind I know little or nothing about these things!!) He is fairly well convinced that the starter is good (although for £20 if I take it off and give it to him he will test it).
In the meantime he has explained in laymans terms what to do to eliminate the motor (or not).
After this he believes that the problem can be resolved without the cost of a starter.
For anyone close or able to get to Crowland, this guy is worth a visit for alternator and starter repairs.
Almost forgot, Coastal Motorhomes called me back. They can supply towards the end of July at a cost of £182 and that would also be for an AS component.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back