best double din upgrade for my 2016 sprinter ? (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
i fancy a better radio for my 2016 sprinter based autosleeper, it would be nice if it connected to the steering wheel - im not even sure im that impressed with dab.
dont need satnav really but i want android auto but most of all it needs to be something decent like kenwood - none of that chinese kack - suggestions ladies and gentlrman ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Sony XAV AX8050 here. It's easy to use, fast, good touch controls and very reliable. I mainly use it for Android Auto. Was easy to install. There's modules to integrate steering wheel controls. My own quibble is that it's not that bright and can get washed out.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
I don't think it matters what it says on the front they are probably all made in China.
probably - but the build quality is important

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
thanks but i am looking for recommendations or expereances or opinions :)
I had a Kenwood double din in my mh for the last 4 years, fine apart from Bluetooth connectivity being temperamental.
Not a fan of Android Auto so didn't use it..

Sep 10, 2022
Warrington, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 125
i fancy a better radio for my 2016 sprinter based autosleeper, it would be nice if it connected to the steering wheel - im not even sure im that impressed with dab.
dont need satnav really but i want android auto but most of all it needs to be something decent like kenwood - none of that chinese kack - suggestions ladies and gentlrman ?
I use one of these as it was easier to put in than a retrofit head unit and I can take it to my next MH. Gives me CarPlay or Android Auto and has worked with no issues since I bought it. Generates its own local Wi-Fi to connect to phone and uses Bluetooth to send the music through the existing head unit and steering wheel buttons work for volume and channel change. It does have internal a speaker but sound not great. May not be for you but just a thought…. Edit, the one pictured is 10inch screen but they do smaller versions.

IMG_7678.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I read the title as "double gin". What does that say about me? :)

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
I use one of these as it was easier to put in than a retrofit head unit and I can take it to my next MH. Gives me CarPlay or Android Auto and has worked with no issues since I bought it. Generates its own local Wi-Fi to connect to phone and uses Bluetooth to send the music through the existing head unit and steering wheel buttons work for volume and channel change. It does have internal a speaker but sound not great. May not be for you but just a thought…. Edit, the one pictured is 10inch screen but they do smaller versions.

View attachment 740776
thats very interesting - do they have a name ? how or what does it fix onto ? how is it wired up or is it simply bluetooth to the radio ?

Sep 10, 2022
Warrington, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 125
thats very interesting - do they have a name ? how or what does it fix onto ? how is it wired up or is it simply bluetooth to the radio ?
It’s by Carpuride from Amazon. It can attach to the screen or in my case on top of the dash. It creates its own local Wi-Fi hotspot to which you connect your phone and then you can use CarPlay or Android Auto. It also connects via Bluetooth.

It has an internal speaker which to be honest is not great so you can connect to your in vehicle Bluetooth (ie your own head unit if it has Bluetooth) or you can connect the unit with a 3.5mm jack to the audio in on your vehicle. It then sends all the output to your van speakers which in our case sounds great.

You can also mirror your phone to the unit and play films on any streaming channel that doesn’t restrict airplay. I’ll post some photos if I can upload them although internet not great here in north Devon. I’ll also post the Amazon link.

Sep 10, 2022
Warrington, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 125
I have it attached to the document holder on the boxer dashboard and it’s never moved. I put a small blob of Black Tack just under the from edge of the screen and it’s stayed solid for months now. I just live car play as it gives me up to date Nav and all my music plus phone and hands free texting as it works with Siri. If you are android then I’m sure you can do similar with Android Auto.

The coiled up wire you can see is to my dash cam which is powered from the usb socket in the Carpuride unit.

Hope the above gives you enough info for your needs.

IMG_8648.jpeg

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Well I got an add on screen like flight level55 suggested and I am mostly pleased with it, but ,, I have an annoying sprinter feature where can't I listen to the music for more than about 30 mins as it turns itself off to save the battery, it clearly has no idea it's now a motorhome 🤔 so how do I bypass that feature short of replacing the radio with a Kenwood ect.

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I’ve been using a Carpuride unit for 2 years and it has been great. If you are thinking of buying I strongly recommend you check in to their website, it will enable you to choose the best product for your requirements. They often have good special offers and regularly upgrade their products.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well I got an add on screen like flight level55 suggested and I am mostly pleased with it, but ,, I have an annoying sprinter feature where can't I listen to the music for more than about 30 mins as it turns itself off to save the battery, it clearly has no idea it's now a motorhome 🤔 so how do I bypass that feature short of replacing the radio with a Kenwood ect.
Wire the 12v that at the moment is through your ignition feed, directly to a 12 v supply from a fuse that is always on.
You could even use the 12volt "memory" supply which if I remember correctly is the yellow wire(?)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back