Best campsites for wheelchair accessibility off of the site (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2021
Lymington
Funster No
MH
fiat sunliving S65SL
Exp
B class
I am interested in how people find motorhome camping sites where there is good safe wheelchair access to the local village, pub, wildlife park etc. The only way I can find suitable sites is on google earth and using the little man to check for footpaths etc.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m probably not going to help much, although Iā€™m permanently in a wheelchair with no legs Iā€™m otherwise very mobileā€¦ if I come to an obstacle I get out on my arse and lift my chair over it. Iā€™m also quite happy wheeling along roads and expect cars to move overā€¦ as for sites I donā€™t do sites in the uk but if you do then any of the club sites will do as they will mostly be wheelchair friendly but of course they canā€™t do anything about the outside.

Europe is different, although theyā€™re supposed to abide by the same rules they donā€™t..šŸ˜† hardly any dropped curbs but other things like public transport are much better for wheelchairs..
Just beware of some places that put gravel everywhere itā€™s a right pain and of course abroad it can be sand..

But on the whole it depends on the mobility of the wheelchair userā€¦ but donā€™t let it put you off thereā€™s always a workaround..

Doing what your already doing is good, research and using google maps is what I also doā€¦šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ā›±
Exp
Since 1980s
Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m probably not going to help much, although Iā€™m permanently in a wheelchair with no legs Iā€™m otherwise very mobileā€¦ if I come to an obstacle I get out on my arse and lift my chair over it. Iā€™m also quite happy wheeling along roads and expect cars to move overā€¦ as for sites I donā€™t do sites in the uk but if you do then any of the club sites will do as they will mostly be wheelchair friendly but of course they canā€™t do anything about the outside.

Europe if different, although theyā€™re supposed to abide by the same rules they donā€™t..šŸ˜† hardly any dropped curbs but other things like public transport are much better for wheelchairs..
Just beware of some places that put gravel everywhere itā€™s a right pain and of course abroad it can be sand..

But on the whole it depends on the mobility of the wheelchair userā€¦ but donā€™t let it put you off thereā€™s always a workaround..

Doing what your already doing is good, research and using google maps is what I also doā€¦šŸ˜Ž
Will you be doing Maroc next year Garry? Hope you do, we'll go over together this time šŸ˜‰

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Well we are in Benidorm at the mo and all the campsites I' ve seen are reasonably wheelchair friendly . Most folks with disabilities ( and some not) get around ok on mobility scooters . All the kerbs have dropped access and those that dont have ramps of some sort concrete or asphalt.
Not seen many wheelchairs around but certainly lots of mobility scooters.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ā›±
Exp
Since 1980s
Iā€™m otherwise very mobileā€¦ if I come to an obstacle I get out on my arse and lift my chair over it. Iā€™m also quite happy wheeling along roads and expect cars to move overā€¦
Told you he gets everywhere! No stopping the man šŸ‘

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I am interested in how people find motorhome camping sites where there is good safe wheelchair access to the local village, pub, wildlife park etc. The only way I can find suitable sites is on google earth and using the little man to check for footpaths etc.
we use lightweight mobility scooters. And yes, google earth. What irritates me is where you get descriptions of sites saying easy walking distance to x, y or z and you find it is along a grass verge or muddy footpath through a field!

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi. My wife uses a scooter, the kind that separates to go in a car boot. It goes in the camper too. We wild camp mostly. Sites vary from easy to impossible. Gravel is the worst on sites. Abroad the problem is ramps or rather lack of them. Narrow pavements, often with obstructions, lamp posts & cafe chairs etc. it is getting better though.
Even in Greece we have found motorised chairs on runners going across beaches into the sea. They were great.
In italy we had golf buggies taking us around ancient monument sites.

It varies so so much. We just go calmly for it & sort problems as we go. Fortunately Iā€™m reasonably fit so if we get stuck we can manage.

Go for it is my opinion & good luck.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
#5 from just Smiffy has said it all, what you are doing is good.
She herself has an e-bike attachment for the wheelchair which rattles long nicely, adds to the stability on rougher ground, is brilliant over cobbles etc, and is easily detachable and lockable for shopping....I usually ride shotgun on my e-scooter when we need to use normal streets, the scooter is easier to hop on and off when she needs help up a kerb or through a tight space.
Most sites in the EU are very accommodating when you ask for a wheelchair friendly space, flat(ish), hard standing etc, have only ever used 3 sites in the UK but they were just as accommodating.

OP
OP
G
Jul 14, 2021
Lymington
Funster No
MH
fiat sunliving S65SL
Exp
B class
#5 from just Smiffy has said it all, what you are doing is good.
She herself has an e-bike attachment for the wheelchair which rattles long nicely, adds to the stability on rougher ground, is brilliant over cobbles etc, and is easily detachable and lockable for shopping....I usually ride shotgun on my e-scooter when we need to use normal streets, the scooter is easier to hop on and off when she needs help up a kerb or through a tight space.
Most sites in the EU are very accommodating when you ask for a wheelchair friendly space, flat(ish), hard standing etc, have only ever used 3 sites in the UK but they were just as accommodating.
Thank you all for your replies. I hadnā€™t heard of the e-bike attachment before and have just googled it. Sounds interesting. It would be interesting to know which model you have and if it is stable.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you all for your replies. I hadnā€™t heard of the e-bike attachment before and have just googled it. Sounds interesting. It would be interesting to know which model you have and if it is stable.
She has a e-handbike from Speedy, a German brand. (www.speedy.de), it is stable (more on that later) and perfect for most surfaces, uphill on gravel is not so hot, but cobblestones are easy, this one is about 10 years old now and has a range of 20-25 km on the battery assist, there was a higher capacity battery available, but this was enough at the time and has been fine ever since.
It is very stable, but as with any three-wheeler, you donĀ“t want to chuck it into corners to fast, It also depends on the track and camber of the wheelchair wheels, hers is a narrow track (for doorways with zero camber), and you soon get the feel for it and what its limits are.
The bike attaches to the wheelchair via a (detachable) bracket attached to the chair and a sliding rod and pin, we have the space and travel with 2 wheelchairs so that the bike is always set up and ready to go.
These types of hand-bikes are readily available, Amazon have a selection of Chinese ones, Speedy in Germany are good (made locally to me); and DaVinci Mobility in the UK have a selection available too I believe (we have bought wheels from them).
20240311_070403.jpg
20240311_070715.jpg

OP
OP
G
Jul 14, 2021
Lymington
Funster No
MH
fiat sunliving S65SL
Exp
B class
She has a e-handbike from Speedy, a German brand. (www.speedy.de), it is stable (more on that later) and perfect for most surfaces, uphill on gravel is not so hot, but cobblestones are easy, this one is about 10 years old now and has a range of 20-25 km on the battery assist, there was a higher capacity battery available, but this was enough at the time and has been fine ever since.
It is very stable, but as with any three-wheeler, you donĀ“t want to chuck it into corners to fast, It also depends on the track and camber of the wheelchair wheels, hers is a narrow track (for doorways with zero camber), and you soon get the feel for it and what its limits are.
The bike attaches to the wheelchair via a (detachable) bracket attached to the chair and a sliding rod and pin, we have the space and travel with 2 wheelchairs so that the bike is always set up and ready to go.
These types of hand-bikes are readily available, Amazon have a selection of Chinese ones, Speedy in Germany are good (made locally to me); and DaVinci Mobility in the UK have a selection available too I believe (we have bought wheels from them).View attachment 873863View attachment 873867
Thank you very much for the good information. It has certainly given me ideas on how I can be more mobile.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back