Best bread for Motor-homing and how to keep it fresh?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We like crusty bread, but it seems to go solid in no time at all ... can you recommend any bread that will stay edible for 4 to 5 days, and how/where best to store it?

(we don't have an oven in the van so part baked isn't really an option)

Thanks!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
We love Sourdough bread and it lasts a good few days, when it starts to dry out, just sprinkle a tiny bit of water on a slice and ping it it the Microwave for 20 seconds and it’s good as new 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I walk to the shop or bakery every morning but another option is to buy the part baked rolls 👌

Yebbut...........

We like crusty bread, but it seems to go solid in no time at all ... can you recommend any bread that will stay edible for 4 to 5 days, and how/where best to store it?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I find bread an issue in the van. I make all our bread at home and we have found we can rarely find really nice bread when away. Even bakers and farmers markets seem to have nice looking bread that is let down by taste. And don’t get me started on all the “faux” sourdough that is around.
It won’t help the OP if they have no freezer but we freeze bread at home anyway so I just put frozen rolls and slices in the freezer box of the fridge. That does me for four days. I always have a pack of bread mix in the van, not as good as proper home made bread, but better than supermarket bread, in my view. So if on hook up I use the Remoska to make a loaf from the mix or sometimes I make soda bread. Presumably you could make soda bread with one of those stove top ovens? Or soda Carl’s on the frying pan, although those do need eating straight away.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
You want long life, I’ll give you long life!!
You will not want to read this! I bought some Harry’s Americain sliced bread in France to use for fishing. Sliced white very doughy. Forgot about it on my return and left it for 4 weeks still in the plastic bag. When I remembered and took it out of the bag, no mould, not dried out in fact as good as the day I bought it. What in gods name is in this stuff?

We used to live in the US and left a loaf out once to see how long it would last. We gave up after 2 MONTHS and quickly started to make our own bread!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I find bread an issue in the van. I make all our bread at home and we have found we can rarely find really nice bread when away. Even bakers and farmers markets seem to have nice looking bread that is let down by taste. And don’t get me started on all the “faux” sourdough that is around.
It won’t help the OP if they have no freezer but we freeze bread at home anyway so I just put frozen rolls and slices in the freezer box of the fridge. That does me for four days. I always have a pack of bread mix in the van, not as good as proper home made bread, but better than supermarket bread, in my view. So if on hook up I use the Remoska to make a loaf from the mix or sometimes I make soda bread. Presumably you could make soda bread with one of those stove top ovens? Or soda Carl’s on the frying pan, although those do need eating straight away.

I only have a 2L Remoska. Is it possible to make bread in it, please? If so, how? I'd love to do this! x

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You will not want to read this! I bought some Harry’s Americain sliced bread in France to use for fishing. Sliced white very doughy. Forgot about it on my return and left it for 4 weeks still in the plastic bag. When I remembered and took it out of the bag, no mould, not dried out in fact as good as the day I bought it. What in gods name is in this stuff?
Like a lot of other stuff in plastic bags, the packers probably blast in a dose of inert gas to give it a longer shelf life?
It's only when we open the bag or container, that normal deteriorating starts.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Like a lot of other stuff in plastic bags, the packers probably blast in a dose of inert gas to give it a longer shelf life?

US bread refuses to go off even when the bag has been opened. God knows what they put in it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I only have a 2L Remoska. Is it possible to make bread in it, please? If so, how? I'd love to do this! x
I sometimes make flatbread, get another bowl and make a pizza type dough, after allowing it to rise and knock back a couple of times, flatten and bake in the Remoska.

• Love It
Reactions: HKF
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Forgot to say it had been opened and then re-sealed. It’s magic l tell you (plus chemicals you don’t want in your body!)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I had a look on the Internet at Harry's bread, they use French flour exclusively, use eggs from cage free birds exclusively and don't use palm oil in any of their products. I wasn't able to find any preservatives listed and they make an organic loaf with no additives at all. Some of their bread contains acerola extract which comes from cherries I believe, this is a source of natural vitamin C which improves the volume of the dough, I have used Ascorbic acid to add vitamin C in my own home bread making when using wholemeal flour to get a less dense loaf. I've never tried Harry's bread but it doesn't sound too bad if they're not telling fibs in their marketing blurb.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
probably why it’s best to bake your own, I had a sandwich left in the boot of my car a few years back it had been there for a similar time and wasn’t mouldy which worried me so I learnt how to make bread. I heard The bread industry sometimes refer to the mass technique as ‘making water stand up’ this started back in the 60’s and today shop brought bread is nothing like the real stuff. Squeeze a slice between your fingers it won’t bounce back rub a small peice between your palms it tends to go grey. Do the same with ‘real bread’ the bread will bounce back after gently squeezing between your fingers and rubbing a small peice between your palms it stays the same colour

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
I had a look on the Internet at Harry's bread, they use French flour exclusively, use eggs from cage free birds exclusively and don't use palm oil in any of their products. I wasn't able to find any preservatives listed and they make an organic loaf with no additives at all. Some of their bread contains acerola extract which comes from cherries I believe, this is a source of natural vitamin C which improves the volume of the dough, I have used Ascorbic acid to add vitamin C in my own home bread making when using wholemeal flour to get a less dense loaf. I've never tried Harry's bread but it doesn't sound too bad if they're not telling fibs in their marketing blurb.
That is interesting. I too buy Harry's for mullet fishing when in France and N.Spain. It keeps for weeks and is vile to eat. The mullet don't mlnd though.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Thanks!
If you don't need a lot buy a small sliced loaf and freeze it. Take out a slice or two at a time to defrost. At home I do this more or less every morning, defrosting one slice of wholemeal sourdough in the microwave and toasting it. In a MH just put as many slices as will fit in the freezer compartment in a poly bag. Defrost the slices you need overnight in another bag, possibly in the fridge if it's warm in the MH. :) 🍞

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
That is interesting. I too buy Harry's for mullet fishing when in France and N.Spain. It keeps for weeks and is vile to eat. The mullet don't mlnd though.
What is it that you don't like? I've never tried it myself, i'm just curious if it's the texture, flavour or some other aspect of it that is not nice?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't eat bread (or cakes) however swmbo buys the Harry's American sandwich bread in France and Spain and it keeps for ages. She generally only uses it for toast though

Upvote 0

hja

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
If that is the small one then yes. I tend to use the packet bread mix. Mix in a bowel as per instructions. Put in the Remoska base to prove, then just cook. The bread mix loaves take abou 30mins from memory, maybe slightly less. After about 20mins I put a piece of foil over to stop it browning too much. Similar process for soda bread (I think there is a recipe for soda bread in the Remoska recipe book). Obviously it is a cob rather than a tin loaf. I make scones in it as well.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
What is it that you don't like? I've never tried it myself, i'm just curious if it's the texture, flavour or some other aspect of it that is not nice?
It is just edible if toasted and you are desperate. It has a very strange taste,quite sweet, and the texture is very doughy in it's raw state. It is not even a good bait as it is not as sticky as UK white sliced and doesn't stay on the hook well, but tends to be all you can buy. Bimbo,in Spain isn't much better. Luckily mullet aren't gourmands, and are slightly easier to catch in France,Spain and Portugal than their UK brethren.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
If that is the small one then yes. I tend to use the packet bread mix. Mix in a bowel as per instructions. Put in the Remoska base to prove, then just cook. The bread mix loaves take abou 30mins from memory, maybe slightly less. After about 20mins I put a piece of foil over to stop it browning too much. Similar process for soda bread (I think there is a recipe for soda bread in the Remoska recipe book). Obviously it is a cob rather than a tin loaf. I make scones in it as well.

Thank you SO much! I'll defintely give that a try :) x

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
It is just edible if toasted and you are desperate. It has a very strange taste,quite sweet, and the texture is very doughy in it's raw state. It is not even a good bait as it is not as sticky as UK white sliced and doesn't stay on the hook well, but tends to be all you can buy. Bimbo,in Spain isn't much better. Luckily mullet aren't gourmands, and are slightly easier to catch in France,Spain and Portugal than their UK brethren.

US bread is FULL of sugar. More like cake!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back