Best bread for Motor-homing and how to keep it fresh? (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We like crusty bread, but it seems to go solid in no time at all ... can you recommend any bread that will stay edible for 4 to 5 days, and how/where best to store it?

(we don't have an oven in the van so part baked isn't really an option)

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
We leave it in the bag it came in - not a plastic bag. Lasts a day - though a gentle heating in the frying pan can help. Fresh every day is simplest. If in France just buy fresh, it will not last because they don’t put stuff in it to make it last. German pumpernickel will last for ages - but if it’s crusty, you’ve definitely kept it too long 😄

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We like crusty bread, but it seems to go solid in no time at all ... can you recommend any bread that will stay edible for 4 to 5 days, and how/where best to store it?

(we don't have an oven in the van so part baked isn't really an option)

Thanks!
Get yourself an Omnia if you haven’t already got one

Then

Supermarket bread is SH**t and not good, if you love bread 🍞 🥖 just make it yourself it’s so easy to do

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We leave it in the bag it came in - not a plastic bag. Lasts a day - though a gentle heating in the frying pan can help. Fresh every day is simplest. If in France just buy fresh, it will not last because they don’t put stuff in it to make it last. German pumpernickel will last for ages - but if it’s crusty, you’ve definitely kept it too long 😄
A baguette has no fat so should be eaten that day, fat (butter) is used to make bread last a few days but goodness knows what preservatives go in to supermarket bread.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi - I'm away at 4 day rallies / bike racing / festivals a lot, so ovens and fresh every day are not really options for me 😔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Probably not what you'd want to do permanently but I know this works for wholemeal sliced. I haven't tried with other breads
As soon as your loaf is back at the MH get a knife & stab the plastic several times on every side plus top & bottom.
Pop in the fridge & it lasts weeks

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The reason it goes solid is due to evaporation of moisture. Can you slice it and freeze it in freezer bags? Or even keep it in the fridge?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hi - I'm away at 4 day rallies / bike racing / festivals a lot, so ovens and fresh every day are not really options for me 😔
Easy fix, for emergencies, in the freezer compartment I always have a couple of packets of supermarket pitta bread.
Frozen they will keep for weeks and when needed, can be put straight under the grill (saves having to spray with water) return the rest, sealed, to the freezer, Simples! 😄

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
A baguette has no fat so should be eaten that day, fat (butter) is used to make bread last a few days but goodness knows what preservatives go in to supermarket bread.
Back in the day, (start playing Dvorak!) we put lard in the bread dough. That was then modified to include 'imulsifier'
Both of those products make the finished product last longer.
The 'crustiness' of bread will deteriorate with the exposure of the bread into the air, absorbing, as it does, the natural humidity in the atmosphere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Easy fix, for emergencies, in the freezer compartment I always have a couple of packets of supermarket pitta bread.
Frozen they will keep for weeks and when needed, can be put straight under the grill (saves having to spray with water) return the rest, sealed, to the freezer, Simples! 😄
Sadly this 5.4m van doesn't have a freezer compartment and the tiny ice box is reserved for the G&T ice! 😉

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We keep bread and cake in a paper bag and (potatoes . I know you didn't ask) we use aldis fresh small loaf sliced tiger loaves freeze well too.

Upvote 0

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Like me you could find the closest farm shop and buy fresh 🫣😆

IMG_7582.jpeg

Upvote 0

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
A few months ago I have "found" Lidl's Crusty Rye and Wheat Bloomer https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/crusty-rye-bloomer/p146327. It is absolutely lovely in my opinion when fresh or a day for two old, and keeps really well. When it goes slightly stale (3 to 4 days), it makes the most glorious toast too!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A few months ago I have "found" Lidl's Crusty Rye and Wheat Bloomer https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/crusty-rye-bloomer/p146327. It is absolutely lovely in my opinion when fresh or a day for two old, and keeps really well. When it goes slightly stale (3 to 4 days), it makes the most glorious toast too!
I buy Lidl low GI crusty loaves. They are also very good after a few days keeping.

Upvote 0

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
When in the UK I buy these from Sainsburys - they always have a minimum of 4 days use by date and up to 7/8 days. They are thick hefty slices though. Not sure who else sells it. They do a tiger load and a bloomer.
IMG_5854.png

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Probably not what you'd want to do permanently but I know this works for wholemeal sliced. I haven't tried with other breads
As soon as your loaf is back at the MH get a knife & stab the plastic several times on every side plus top & bottom.
Pop in the fridge & it lasts weeks

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
You want long life, I’ll give you long life!!
You will not want to read this! I bought some Harry’s Americain sliced bread in France to use for fishing. Sliced white very doughy. Forgot about it on my return and left it for 4 weeks still in the plastic bag. When I remembered and took it out of the bag, no mould, not dried out in fact as good as the day I bought it. What in gods name is in this stuff?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back