Best adhesive for shower screen fix?? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
2021 McLouis Fusion 331

Shower screen is made of clear plastic panels slotted into an aluminium frame. The panels had separated from the frame at the top where gravity had pulled them free. I've got the panels out and cleaned them up. The aluminium frame has a slot in it that the panel fits into but it's lined with a rubbery/siliconey material.

Initially I had planned to use epoxy resin to hold the panels in the frame. But I'm not sure that's gonna be the best option - might be a bit permanent, maybe not too good with water... and might not adhere to the rubber/silicone lining too well.

So then I thought maybe I'd use clear silicone sealant. But that might not be strong enough.

Then I thought I'd ask you clever people as someone will know the exact right stuff!!

Cheers!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I would suggest CT1 as an all round flexible adhesive sealant that works in sanitary environments. I redid the entirety of panel joints, shower tray and washbasin seals in my van a month ago. It needs a strong hand with the standard skeleton gun and an edging profiling tool is useful for a tidy job.

But your rubber / silicone thingy is maybe an issue, not so much whether the CT1 would adhere, but more for it's looks and durability.

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
I would us OB1 very strong and water proof . and you can get clear or white

OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Hmmm... I used CT1, left it to cure, hung the screen up... and the panel fell out again. Like I'd used margarine or something. I had used a small amount to avoid having to clean up too much overspill but still - I'd have expected it to have held for a little while!!

I've pulled it apart again (very easy), cleaned it up and tried again but using more adhesive this time. I've only done one panel and it does seem to have a better fix - I couldn't pull it apart by hand. Strange. Also, the CT1 was quite easy to clean up - it peels off the panel plastic and the aluminium pretty easy. I guess that's the problem - it's not adhering very well at all to either of the materials I'm trying to stick together!!

Anyone seen this same thing? Found an adhesive that works better on these materials?

I called a shower expert today... he suggested fitting a shower curtain... oh dear.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Can you rough up the shiny surface that the sealant is going to cover anyway?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hmmm... I used CT1, left it to cure, hung the screen up... and the panel fell out again. Like I'd used margarine or something. I had used a small amount to avoid having to clean up too much overspill but still - I'd have expected it to have held for a little while!!

I've pulled it apart again (very easy), cleaned it up and tried again but using more adhesive this time. I've only done one panel and it does seem to have a better fix - I couldn't pull it apart by hand. Strange. Also, the CT1 was quite easy to clean up - it peels off the panel plastic and the aluminium pretty easy. I guess that's the problem - it's not adhering very well at all to either of the materials I'm trying to stick together!!

Anyone seen this same thing? Found an adhesive that works better on these materials?

I called a shower expert today... he suggested fitting a shower curtain... oh dear.
Give Sikiflex helpline a ring, plenty have had good service in the past! šŸ¤”

OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Well, the second attempt with CT1 wasn't much better - it fell apart today.

I'm well and truly fed up with digging CT1 out of the channel in the aluminium frame... it doesn't hold the panel in but it's a bugger to dig out as it's squidgy and rubbery and just hangs around.

Anyway, I've got the parts prepared now and I'll try OB1 next, unless anyone's got any better suggestions?

Cheers,
Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back