Benefits of EU Dog passport

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
We are currently in France with our dog, first time we brought him, cost a small fortune.

We will be heading back in the next few days so need to visit vet and get wormer and certificate signed.

The cost quoted by vet seems a lot 55 euro. But for 10euro more they will supply a passport.

So what will the benefits be of a passport? And I thought you needed a permanent EU address, can they still issue one?.

The vets is highly rated based in Luxembourg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Do "the majority" ?
Perhaps many don't know it's possible to get an EU Passport?
Perhaps the only plan to go to the EU infrequently?
Or as friends of ours did their dogs are older and they had taken them one last time, not planning long term.

For us its saved a fortune just this year.
3 trips at min £350 each trip from our locak vet verse £0 cost to go out, not counting return as its same cost

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
So why do the majority go to the expense and beurocracy of the Animal Health Certificate
Because (despite it being a ridiculously complex and expensive bit of bureaucracy) it's needed...

...but only for the first trip if you arrange a (relatively simple and inexpensive) Pet Passport when in the EU.

Most MH owners I know go through the expense and beurocracy of an EHC...
Most MH owners I have met (who want to travel regularly to the EU) have listened to the advice and now have a Pet Passport (see reasons you mention above) ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GaryMo
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Yes we were issued with a pet passport in Luxemburg, I was little worried on the chip date, then entered the same date as the rabies jab, we did mention to them and they said that was the data entered on the AHC and they had no way of checking the correct date.

Anyway we had no problems coming back to the UK

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Haven't the owners of non-UK dogs always needed at least a rabies jab cert even before and during the time when we were in the E.U? If so, I don't recall them being fazed by it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benivan
To bring their dogs from France, Germany, Belgium etc. into the U.K.
Whilst in EU , passports from fellow member countries were, of course, accepted .
Way prior to that dogs went into quarantine for a few months .
Not sure when quarantine stopped , maybe when we joined ?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Whilst in EU , passports from fellow member countries were, of course, accepted .
Way prior to that dogs went into quarantine for a few months .
Not sure when quarantine stopped , maybe when we joined ?
Pets passports started in 2000 - so a long time after we joined the EU. And before that it was indeed 6 months quarantine to get a dog into the UK, vaccinated against rabies or not.

Reactions: maz
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It seems that the hoops are the same for EU dogs coming into the U.K. wrt needing a pet passport or an AHC and quarantine is no longer imposed..
1728062876903.png

Upvote 0

maz

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Pets passports started in 2000 - so a long time after we joined the EU. And before that it was indeed 6 months quarantine to get a dog into the UK, vaccinated against rabies or not.
Apparently the first dog to enter the UK on a Pet Passport was a pug called Frodo Baggins on 28 February 2000.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We obtained our dog Charlie’s passport in Portugal this year without any problems at all and used it on our return to the UK with a rabies booster it cost €85.
The AHC to get out was £180 for one trip so we won’t have that cost any more😊👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
So why is it that the UK allows those with EU passports to enter but the EU do not accept UK passports when travelling there? I know its down to brexit but why do we accept theirs?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So why is it that the UK allows those with EU passports to enter but the EU do not accept UK passports when travelling there?
Because the only PPs they accept into the EU are EU PPs, UK is no longer in the EU so no PP accepted.
I know its down to brexit but why do we accept theirs?
Because we were happy to continue after Brexit as it would have been more detrimental by not doing so, remember it's not just 'pet' dogs/cats/ferrets that have PPs but 'commercial' ones too, eg show & working dogs etc.

Fortunately even though we're not in the EU anymore there is nothing in the EU rules to prevent Third Country (ie UK) residents from getting a EU PP for their dog/cat/ferret even though many French vets seem to think otherwise! If they stopped the UK residents getting EU PPs they'd have to do so for all Third Countries, USA, Canada etc, etc.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back