Benefits of EU Dog passport (40 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
We are currently in France with our dog, first time we brought him, cost a small fortune.

We will be heading back in the next few days so need to visit vet and get wormer and certificate signed.

The cost quoted by vet seems a lot 55 euro. But for 10euro more they will supply a passport.

So what will the benefits be of a passport? And I thought you needed a permanent EU address, can they still issue one?.

The vets is highly rated based in Luxembourg

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
From the government
Check that the vet has filled in the following sections in the pet passport:

• details of ownership - you must sign section I if your pet passport was issued on or after 29 December 2014
  • description of animal
  • marking or identification of animal
  • vaccination against rabies
  • details of the vet issuing the passport (for passports issued from 29 December 2014)
  • your dog’s tapeworm treatment (if needed)
Only vets in EU countries can enter rabies vaccination details into an EU pet passport.

If your pet passport does not have an up to date vaccination record, you’ll need an animal health certificate instead.

Any vet in any country can put tapeworm treatment details into a pet passport.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are currently in France with our dog, first time we brought him, cost a small fortune.

We will be heading back in the next few days so need to visit vet and get wormer and certificate signed.

The cost quoted by vet seems a lot 55 euro. But for 10euro more they will supply a passport.

So what will the benefits be of a passport? And I thought you needed a permanent EU address, can they still issue one?.

Sorry and call me stupid but I believe that if your only home is in the UK then you should pay up and get an EHC. If the press found out that a Brexit voting MP used an EU pet passport they would take him/her to the cleaners.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GaryMo
Sep 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Sorry and call me stupid but I believe that if your only home is in the UK then you should pay up and get an EHC. If the press found out that a Brexit voting MP used an EU pet passport they would take him/her to the cleaners.
I didn't vote for Brexit, so I'm quite happy to get my pet an EU passport, it's a pity I can't have a EU passport

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
You can believe what you like but residency has never been a requirement for an EU Pet Passport, which is why Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc have been obtaining and using them for years. So there is no reason at all for Brits not to follow suit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
What about your suggestion makes feel you must apologise or might make you think you could appear to be stupid? :rolleyes:

Out of interest, do you have a pet you take on regular trips abroad (from UK)? 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
French vets are not all singing from the same hymn sheet. :RollEyes:

Many, probably most, will want your dog to be registered on I-cad - even though this makes no sense for non-resident dogs. The only actual law is that a dog must be registered on I-cad if it will be staying in France for more than 3 months.

Some vets will insist that I-cad registration has to be done before they will issue a Pet Passport - which can mean a 2-3 week delay before you actually obtain one. This will also require the use of a French address as the vet will want to see the I-cad registration card that arrives in the mail. A few will even demand to see 'proof of residency' such as a utility bill - which is ridiculous as residency has never been a legal requirement for any EU Pet Passport.

Some vets will issue you a Pet Passport at the same time as they fill in the form for I-cad registration. This is obviously much easier and generally means that you can use any old French address eg campsite. You do not need an I-cad registration card to cross borders, just the Pet Passport.

There are still a few sensible French vets who realise that I-cad registration is not necessary for a non-resident dog and will issue a Pet Passport without it and using your UK address. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far between. However, as mentioned earlier, I do have a list of French vets (around 40 of them) known to have recently issued Pet Passports to Brits. They are a good starting point to make enquiries as to their current requirements. Let me know if you would like a copy of the list.
Hi
Is it possible to have a list of these vets please

Thanks
Colin

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Since 2020
There were no new 'rules' just misinterpretations of that 'Brexit statement' on the I-cad website. BTW that notorious statement has now disappeared. :wink:
Hi Maz we have had a pet passport for couple of years need to get new 3 year rabies early next year. Would you be kind enough to send me the vet list. Moss

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson
You can believe what you like but residency has never been a requirement for an EU Pet Passport, which is why Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc have been obtaining and using them for years. So there is no reason at all for Brits not to follow suit.
And this is why Irish ex racing greyhounds that are re homed in UK come with an EU pet passport. Where they or their owners live is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz we have had a pet passport for couple of years need to get new 3 year rabies early next year. Would you be kind enough to send me the vet list. Moss
Just sent you a PM as well. You shouldn't have much trouble just getting a booster tho'. (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back