Benefits of EU Dog passport (39 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
We are currently in France with our dog, first time we brought him, cost a small fortune.

We will be heading back in the next few days so need to visit vet and get wormer and certificate signed.

The cost quoted by vet seems a lot 55 euro. But for 10euro more they will supply a passport.

So what will the benefits be of a passport? And I thought you needed a permanent EU address, can they still issue one?.

The vets is highly rated based in Luxembourg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
French vets take the piss. I avoid using them at all costs.

Benefit of eu passport is simple as long as you keep dogs vaccinations up to date it lasts a lifetime. An ahc only lasts 4 months so you need a new one each time

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GaryMo
Sep 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
French vets take the piss. I avoid using them at all costs.

Benefit of eu passport is simple as long as you keep dogs vaccinations up to date it lasts a lifetime. An ahc only lasts 4 months so you need a new one each time
And vaccination in the UK is fine for the EU passport?

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Just keep the rabies upto date and get it done abroad, in Spain it's a 2 year vaccine and most other countries its a three year vaccine. DON'T under any circumstances let an English vet put anything in it! If you get the pet passport. We have one and it saves a fortune in AHC costs. Shop around , the dog will only require worming when going back to UK but it must be between 120 and 24hrs before departure. Average cost is about 45 to 50 euros but there is a list of vets who will do it cheaper. The cheapest we have come across is the eccentric vet in Bernkastel Kues who charged us 5 Euros last time

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We are currently in France with our dog, first time we brought him, cost a small fortune.

We will be heading back in the next few days so need to visit vet and get wormer and certificate signed.

The cost quoted by vet seems a lot 55 euro. But for 10euro more they will supply a passport.

So what will the benefits be of a passport? And I thought you needed a permanent EU address, can they still issue one?.

The vets is highly rated based in Luxembourg
As others have said, the benefit is that you no longer need an AHC - saving money and faffing about each time you travel. There is no legal requirement for an EU address.

Just be aware that at only 10€ extra for the Pet Passport it is unlikely to include a rabies booster - which is fine if the vet transfers over your dog's existing rabies vaccination details properly. Check out the 'How to Complete Pet Passports' booklet in the Pets forum, so you know what to look for.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/how-to-complete-pet-passports-booklet.286465/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
No you will need to have all vaccinations carried out in the EU
To clarify, this applies to the Rabies vaccination only.

You can still get all the other routine vaccinations, not required for travel, done by your usual vet.

Provided your UK rabies vaccine is still valid (recorded in the AHC) the Vet in Switzerland should be able to note the details and then the usual rule to 'wait 21 days after first vaccine before travel' won't apply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

You can still get all the other routine vaccinations, not required for travel, done by your usual vet.

Provided your UK rabies vaccine is still valid (recorded in the AHC) the Vet in Switzerland should be able to note the details and then the usual rule to 'wait 21 days after first vaccine before travel' won't apply.
I just do all of mine in EU.

Usually cheaper anyway

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GaryMo
Sep 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Thanks for the advice, I will use the vets in Luxembourg and check they transfer over the rabies vaccination history. It looks like heavy rain, so a look around Luxembourg city seems in order.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the advice, I will use the vets in Luxembourg and check they transfer over the rabies vaccination history. It looks like heavy rain, so a look around Luxembourg city seems in order.
Even if they won't transfer just pay for a new one it won't hurt dog.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If they are willing to transfer the info regarding the UK rabies jab make sure they put the correct date for the chip in the passport, it needs to be the actual implantation date and NOT when they read it and do the PP otherwise it will mean you can't use it for your next UK>EU trip without another AHC.

If they insist on another rabies jab they can put the chip reading date instead.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.

Just be aware, do NOT let your UK vet enter details in the “other vaccination” section in your pet passport when you have them done. Use a separate vaccination card for uk use only.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back