Belgium campsites

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Three Bridge MAN TGE
Exp
Since 2021
Hi all, off to Austria in September via Belgium and the Romantic road . Any suggestions were to stop 2/3 hrs out of Calais for the night in Belgium .Many thanks

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Hi all, off to Austria in September via Belgium and the Romantic road . Any suggestions were to stop 2/3 hrs out of Calais for the night in Belgium .Many thanks
We are just about to return from 5 weeks in Austria and a couple of weeks coming back.

All is documented in Carinthia journal and Salzburg to Calais journal and these may be of interest to you for Austria.

Solre or rocroi would hit target overnight stops on the journals. Givet or Bouillon would also be considerations for us. All are Aires and all are free.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft
Exp
Since 2020
The Aire at Arras is first class with a 10 minute walk into the City

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
If I was travelling 3 (ish) hrs out of Calais I’d head for St Vith

Don’t go to southern Austria the first full week in sept, unless you like 100,000 Harley’s around you😉😁😁

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Sankt Vith is a guaranteed overnight spot if turning up late. It is just a car park aire but it's on the vennbahn for a day or 2 s cycling aswell.

It's in journals as well somewhere. Probably voie verte journal

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Maybe a bit close but Urban Gardens in Ypres is nice. Close to the town centre as well (new name for this year - used to be called Juergblahblahblah, but been taken over)
The aire at Zilibeke is a better bet and quieter Go to the roundabout with the big tap on and go to the next junction with Ypres to your right, turn left and first left and its down that road towards Zilibeke Lake pay as you leave electric. waste and water and about 15 ,min walk to Ypres

OP
OP
Rustic12
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Three Bridge MAN TGE
Exp
Since 2021

Don’t go to southern Austria the first full week in sept, unless you like 100,000 Harley’s around you😉😁😁
Luckily will be there middle of September 👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
If you like a site, we stayed at sandaya, parc le clusure which had excellent facilities.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you have not booked your crossing, I'd switch to Harwich/Hoek of Holland with Stena.

You can pootle up from Bath to Harwich in the afternoon, get the overnight ferry with a nice cabin as part of the deal and then you can be in Germany in time for a late breakfast.

Your shadow selves will need to leave Bath before lunchtime.
Will have queued for the Dover crossing
Will have paid tolls for the privilege of driving in France
Will make Belgium by the first night and be half a day behind you other selves on the road
(and done more miles/fuel)

The Harwich crossing may 'appear' to be more expensive, but once fuel, tolls, camp fees and time are factored in, it works out cheaper and quicker (and FAR less stressful!)

(FYI: Take it from a local; Dover is only 70 miles from us. We never use it!)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
If you have not booked your crossing, I'd switch to Harwich/Hoek of Holland with Stena.

You can pootle up from Bath to Harwich in the afternoon, get the overnight ferry with a nice cabin as part of the deal and then you can be in Germany in time for a late breakfast.

Will make Belgium by the first night and be half a day behind you other selves on the road

The Harwich crossing may 'appear' to be more expensive, but once fuel, tolls, camp fees and time are factored in, it works out cheaper and quicker (and FAR less stressful!)

Not so sure.

I ve never done Harwich but Aachen is 4 hours no tolls from Calais and you can choose your departure time as there is bound to be a ferry or train every hour.

That's on the presumption the M25 is behaving and op stack isn't on and Brussels or Antwerp aren't ground to a halt.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Sankt Vith is a guaranteed overnight spot if turning up late. It is just a car park aire but it's on the vennbahn for a day or 2 s cycling aswell.

It's in journals as well somewhere. Probably voie verte journal
Excellent 👍 I’m off to Spa to watch the F1 in a couple of weeks and have a few days afterwards to do some cycling in the area. A quick google of St Vith and I’ve discovered they hold a huge antique and flea market there the first Friday of August so that’s now on my agenda 😎

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Excellent 👍 I’m off to Spa to watch the F1 in a couple of weeks and have a few days afterwards to do some cycling in the area. A quick google of St Vith and I’ve discovered they hold a huge antique and flea market there the first Friday of August so that’s now on my agenda 😎
It's in the vennbahn journal entry.

If doing vennbahn towards troisvierges be aware of the hidden 179 degree turn to the right. We missed it twice.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
The Aire at Peruwelz in Belgium price about 6 euros a night with electric. Toilets and showers available, Lidl, Aldi and petrol stations nearby for top up. 5 minute drive from motorway. Bar restaurant attached to aire great place for overnight stop.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

No tolls from calais to Belgium or Germany

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
A freebie car park stopover with an adjacent restaurant at Petit Coo, Stavelot, about 180 miles SE of Calais. Just down the road from Spa F1 circuit.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
The Aire at Peruwelz in Belgium price about 6 euros a night with electric. Toilets and showers available, Lidl, Aldi and petrol stations nearby for top up. 5 minute drive from motorway. Bar restaurant attached to aire great place for overnight stop.

Only stayed here once but def would stay again, lovely meal as well in the restaurant. I had meatballs, 3 of the biggest balls i've ever sat in front of :ROFLMAO: and could only manage 2 lol, and they were fabulous as well.

A great stop tbh

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
I don't know why you are so critical of my warning to female solo travellers. Have you not read of the many women who hand over large amounts of money to distant men who charm them with the offer of love and romance. Quite elaborate and complicated plots. In the above case the women could be easily handing a 100k motorhome over to them, plus the likelihood of physical abuse. Just trying to look after people with my warning.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I don't know why you are so critical of my warning to female solo travellers. Have you not read of the many women who hand over large amounts of money to distant men who charm them with the offer of love and romance. Quite elaborate and complicated plots. In the above case the women could be easily handing a 100k motorhome over to them, plus the likelihood of physical abuse. Just trying to look after people with my warning.
Possibly you have posted to the wrong thread? :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back