Be aware! (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It sounds like the new policy was taken out after she became ill ?

Her father Roberto Katalinic took out another insurance policy for her, which they tried to use after he and Mrs Katalinic rushed to Cape Town when Miss Katalinic was taken ill.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I read it that there was a clause in the fine print that journeys needed to start in the UK. The additional policy they took out was when she was already in Africa.
Harsh but just goes to show you really should read AND UNDERSTAND every word, and who does that. The alternative might be to put a fully detailed and specified request for the cover required in writing

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

Her father Roberto Katalinic took out another insurance policy for her, which they tried to use after he and Mrs Katalinic rushed to Cape Town when Miss Katalinic was taken ill.
I don’t read it like that - comma after for her, suggests they took it out then tried to use it when she was taken ill. Issue was insurance company said wasn’t valid as she was already in Kenya when it was taken out so that is where journey started.

Terrifying that 25% of claims are rejected …

IMG_4572.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I read it that there was a clause in the fine print that journeys needed to start in the UK. The additional policy they took out was when she was already in Africa.
Harsh but just goes to show you really should read AND UNDERSTAND every word, and who does that. The alternative might be to put a fully detailed and specified request for the cover required in writing
Chances are that if they'd phoned up when they set up the policy, the insurance company would have been fine with it. And they would have been covered.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Shame that,
Have to say AXA sorted my sisters medical bills and everything including a Business class flight home good and proper when she had a broken leg in the USA,

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
So it boils down to the fact that they took out an insurance policy when she was already abroad. Seems a bit picky.

That is a standard requirement and I’d expect them to revoke the policy if they didn’t comply.

A similar issue that can affect motorhoming motorcyclists is that cover for riding motorcycles is only valid if the motorcycle journey starts in the UK. This excludes motorcycles trailered behind, or conveyed in, a motorhome.

Ian

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
If a mistake was made when bought and that's axas stand they should get their money back. Or is it win win for axa.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Delete.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

No - They insured a trip to Kenya. Then she decided to stay on after parents returned to UK. They then tried to insure her for this extra, unplanned trip to/in South Africa. She didn't come home in between so the trip did not begin in the UK. This is where Annual insurance is better.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No - They insured a trip to Kenya. Then she decided to stay on after parents returned to UK. They then tried to insure her for this extra, unplanned trip to/in South Africa. She didn't come home in between so the trip did not begin in the UK. This is where Annual insurance is better.

They would have been no better off taking out an annual policy. The issue is that she was already abroad at policy inception but I agree that, in principle, annual policies are generally better.

It may well have been that the original policy was an annual policy but because the policy holder was returning to the UK, others staying on couldn’t use that policy for cover.

Ian

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So it boils down to the fact that they took out an insurance policy when she was already abroad. Seems a bit picky.
No they have always been the rules. policy holder must start from country they reside in.

no they took it out in Kenya
Chances are that if they'd phoned up when they set up the policy, the insurance company would have been fine with it. And they would have been covered.
No they wouldn't.It has to start in the country you reside
They would have been no better off taking out an annual policy. The issue is that she was already abroad at policy inception
When my wife worked in the Uk & lived here in spain she had an annual policy. When she checked that it covered her for a trip to daughters in australia the broker said no it does not, AS IT STANDS.
"As you reside in spain your cover & journeys must always start from there. What we can do is now you are in the UK working we will change your residence to the UK & the policy will now be valid for your trip to aussie.Just remember when you return that you must change your residency back to spain again."
It wasn't a problem for the wife as she worked , then travelled to aussie ,returned & worked in UK again before returning to spain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I suppose most of us on here are regular travelers so we are all pretty clued up on the rules.
When I first read it I thought idiots why didn't they check with their insurance company when taking out the policy but most people aren't aware of the pitfalls like most of us are on here & don't read the small print.

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
Is it harsh and picky? I think so. Are AXA correct according to the declaration - absolutely. So many people glibly omit to declare things and ignore others, not realising that if an insurer can use a loophole to save them money they will.

I've seen insurance assessors for cars involved in collisions where the other party was seriously injured or worse, turn up to the vehicle storage yard with manufactures software/code readers to see if the map had been changed on the vehicle, because the likely claim from those affected was likely to be very large. Any excuse not to pay out will be seized upon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back