BBQ any ideas?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi Fellow Funsters,
I am looking to buy a BBQ for the MH, which is a Nuevo with external gas for a BBQ. (Runs off the under-slung fitted tank)
Would the one I am looking at a "Weber Q 1000 Titanium Portable Gas BBQ 50060074" fit the gas connection and does anyone have a better idea for a two-family BBQ.
Many thanks for the replies.
David.

1688922984387.png

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you've got the storage space I'm sure it will be fine but probably only for the UK. When we were in Spain earlier this year everyone was very sensitive about naked flames because of the very high fire risk. No BBQs of any description allowed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Using the MHF search facility would be a good start as it's been discussed many a time. (y)
I was going to do that but the BBQ I am looking to buy seemed a new model and other models may have entered the market since the last on the search, likewise newer members will probably have up-to date suggestions.
I'm always willing to listen and learn.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Found a better BBQ so I have changed the question slightly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Weber gas BBQs are popular. The little rectangular one, which looks like a tin suitcase is good and very compact but if you want a larger one I'm sure the one you've found will be fine.

Gas BBQs come in two forms really, ones like the Cadec which are essentially gas-powered hot plates and ones with the rock in the bottom which are more like a "real" BBQs.

Just put the BBQs you bought and then ditched down to experience. It's what most of us do. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
If you've got the storage space I'm sure it will be fine but probably only for the UK. When we were in Spain earlier this year everyone was very sensitive about naked flames because of the very high fire risk. No BBQs of any description allowed.
Having lived in Spain for 15 years I find that understandable. Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
The Weber gas BBQs are popular. The little rectangular one, which looks like a tin suitcase is good and very compact but if you want a larger one I'm sure the one you've found will be fine.

Gas BBQs come in two forms really, ones like the Cadec which are essentially gas-powered hot plates and ones with the rock in the bottom which are more like a "real" BBQs.

Just put the BBQs you bought and then ditched down to experience. It's what most of us do. :)
Thanks DBK,

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Before buying see you can find out what supply pressure the BBQ is rated for on the data plate. Many sold on the U.K. market will be for use with a standalone propane bottle and 37mb regulator - your van’s onboard supply will be 30mb. It probably won’t make a great deal of difference in the height of our ‘summer’, but when the ambient temperature drops it could be noticeable.

We have a Napoleon TravelQ 285 with the scissor cart and we use it all the time where possible and permitted. The grill is in two parts and I’ve fitted the optional plancha to one half so full English and other fry ups can be cooked on it as well.

IMG_9131.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Before buying see you can find out what supply pressure the BBQ is rated for on the data plate. Many sold on the U.K. market will be for use with a standalone propane bottle and 37mb regulator - your van’s onboard supply will be 30mb. It probably won’t make a great deal of difference in the height of our ‘summer’, but when the ambient temperature drops it could be noticeable.

We have a Napoleon TravelQ 285 with the scissor cart and we use it all the time where possible and permitted. The grill is in two parts and I’ve fitted the optional plancha to one half so full English and other fry ups can be cooked on it as well.

View attachment 780207
Many thanks ORIO,
It was the technical detail that I was looking for.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Cheers Paul, this coupled with the advice from Orion should save me many a headache, Funsters score again.
David

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Many thanks ORIO,
It was the technical detail that I was looking for.

David,

BTW. The connections for my and similar BBQs can be easily made using the Cadac quick release swivel elbow, a suitable length of 8mm gas tubing, and whatever connector fits your van outlet - mine is the Bullfinch ‘twist n’ go’ fitting.

IMG_0173.jpeg

Or even add a Y splitter for any extra gas appliances you want to use.

IMG_9401.jpeg

Napoleon plancha in operation.
IMG_9315.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Wow are you a professional BBQ chef?
So pleased I posted this question, thank you.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Wow are you a professional BBQ chef?
So pleased I posted this question, thank you.

:ROFLMAO: No, but we have many years of camping and off grid cooking experience - sometimes for quite a few members of our extended family (32 on one trip comes to mind!). Even parcelled up our Kamado Joe on one occasion, put it on a pallet in the back of a van, and had a few Greek style leg of lamb on one memorable camping weekend. 😋

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Also have a Weber Q1000. Thoroughly recommend it.

The Q1200, comes with a stand, two small side tables and a thermometer. Didn't want a stand, didn't want silly side tables, but did want a thermometer, because we also use the Q1000 as an oven to cook for two very picky kids..
So, buy a dial thermometer, for less than a tenner from Amazon. Carefully drill a hold in the lid and screw in. Two minute job.

We have the griddle plate to swap in when we need it. Weber charge a lot for theirs, but you can get a compatible one for half the price

To connect to a gas hose on your MH gas outlet, you need one of these
Amazon product ASIN B0756ZYWWZ
We run the Weber and a double hob burner off the MH gas supply using a Y shaped connector and two quick release attachments. Works just fine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Live Life Now
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
That my friend makes you a pro in my book, I once cooked two beef burghers and a sausage all at the same time. :coffee: and a cup of coffee

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Pass on how good it is (will report back if I remember) but my parents have just bought a ninja electric bbq - has a wood pellet box to give it through authentic taste. Unused as yet.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Kamado BBQ for €99 in Holland ..

IMG_20240706_142852.jpg

Don't know if that's cheap or not ...?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Keep my little Weber in the gas locker, brilliant BBQ, have made an adapter to plug into the van gas tank and also have a patio gas bottle for at home plus I can still run it off small gas canisters.
When we use to go over the beach for a day I have cooked for about 12 people on it😳😳
Have also used it as an oven and cooked chips🤔🤔

BEDB5445-479F-4065-8358-D095E4F80C0C.jpeg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Keep my little Weber in the gas locker, brilliant BBQ, have made an adapter to plug into the van gas tank and also have a patio gas bottle for at home plus I can still run it off small gas canisters.
When we use to go over the beach for a day I have cooked for about 12 people on it😳😳
Have also used it as an oven and cooked chips🤔🤔

View attachment 919899

Yep. Love the Weber (yours is so much cleaner than ours!!)
We too brought the oven rack. Chips, chicken and yorkshire puds all roasted.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Yep. Love the Weber (yours is so much cleaner than ours!!)
We too brought the oven rack. Chips, chicken and yorkshire puds all roasted.
I need a rack for mine, mine only gets washed once a year at the end of September normally every other time I just put it on full throttle with the lid shut for 10 mins and then wire brush and a wipe with a cloth that then burns everything off and it’s ready to go😁😁
Have the foil trays underneath and change them when needed but only about 2-3 a year.
Have had all types but this little one is the best.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I need a rack for mine, mine only gets washed once a year at the end of September normally every other time I just put it on full throttle with the lid shut for 10 mins and then wire brush and a wipe with a cloth that then burns everything off and it’s ready to go😁😁
Have the foil trays underneath and change them when needed but only about 2-3 a year.
Have had all types but this little one is the best.

The rack makes all the difference. You lay it on top of the foil diffuser thingy and because nothing is in contact with griddle bars, it properly roasts food. I drilled a small hole in the lid and put a decent thermometer in it.

But the best accessory is the Only Fire stainless steel griddle bars. Weighs a quarter of the cast iron ones, but being steel, you still get the 'char' marks on your steaks! Easier to clean too.

I have also got the griddle plate, but it's damn heavy!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
The rack makes all the difference. You lay it on top of the foil diffuser thingy and because nothing is in contact with griddle bars, it properly roasts food. I drilled a small hole in the lid and put a decent thermometer in it.

But the best accessory is the Only Fire stainless steel griddle bars. Weighs a quarter of the cast iron ones, but being steel, you still get the 'char' marks on your steaks! Easier to clean too.

I have also got the griddle plate, but it's damn heavy!

Some handy bits there will take a better look later👍👍

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
If, like me, you have a griddle/plancha plate then using one of the reusable silicone sheets cut to size will save time in cleaning and also make removing things like eggs in those ring things from the cooking surface much easier.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back