Battery Master not trickle charging? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Battery Master connected between my Fogstar underseat Lithium hab battery and my vehicle battery in my Fiat based Chausson 711 Motorhome. It doesn’t appear to be topping up my vehicle battery and it eventually discharges due to draw from a tracker and alarm. The in-line fuse is fine, but the red light on the Battery Master is not lit - but don’t know if it only lights when topping up! The Lithium battery is fully charged but the vehicle battery keeps discharging. My 230v hook up only charges the Lithium hab battery.

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Dec 5, 2022
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail navajo
Exp
4 yrs
Green light good, red light topping up start battery, full operating/wiring instructions readily available on line

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Obvious first step is to check the wiring connection of the battery master. Is it across the starter and lithium batteries at say a b2b, relay or similar point. Black = common negative. Red = Leisure positive Brown = engine positive.

Green led no charge, red led charging.

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Obvious first step is to check the wiring connection of the battery master. Is it across the starter and lithium batteries at say a b2b, relay or similar point. Black = common negative. Red = Leisure positive Brown = engine positive.

Green led no charge, red led charging.
The Battery Master is wired between the two batteries as per instructions. It isn’t wired through the B2B. There are no lights at all showing on the Battery Master.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Wire your battery master like this doesn’t matter what b2b you have it’ll be the same….

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Wire your battery master like this doesn’t matter what b2b you have it’ll be the same….

I have a Victron B2B but Battery Master is not wired through it! Is that the issue as I thought the BM could be wired battery to battery?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have a Victron B2B but Battery Master is not wired through it! Is that the issue as I thought the BM could be wired battery to battery?

The way you have it is ok and how it’s done if you don’t have a b2b but putting it on the b2b is easy and all in one place, no long wires to the BM..

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The BatteryMaster comes with short wires already attached. At the ends of those short wires, it will be wired to other wires or to a device terminal. It sounds like in your case it is wired to other wires to extend them to the batteries. You need to get a meter on those connections at the end of the short wires. You should get the two battery voltages at the two positive wires. If not, you should check for bad connection/blown fuse along the wire to the batteries.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It was wired battery to battery before I installed the Lithium and Victron B2B! Did it a while back so can’t remember what I did at the time. -so will need to check! Why do you ask that?
Having designed it and sold tens of thousands of them, they very rarely go wrong, genuinely

If no light on normally a negative connection fault

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Having designed it and sold tens of thousands of them, they very rarely go wrong, genuinely

If no light on normally a negative connection fault
Thanks Eddie - I will check the connections when I get the chance as building an Alpine style car port over my motorhome at the moment, and trying to make the best of the good weather.
Jim

OP
OP
Kayak Kid
Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
The BatteryMaster comes with short wires already attached. At the ends of those short wires, it will be wired to other wires or to a device terminal. It sounds like in your case it is wired to other wires to extend them to the batteries. You need to get a meter on those connections at the end of the short wires. You should get the two battery voltages at the two positive wires. If not, you should check for bad connection/blown fuse along the wire to the batteries.
Cheers - thanks for that. Will check it out!
Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back