Battery draining to fast

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme 6
Subject: Assistance Needed with Truma Diesel Heating in My Camper

Hi,

I'm the new owner of a 2022 Adria Twin Supreme 640 (used). This is my new camper, and I’m not familiar with many of the features, particularly the technology inside.

I have a problem: when I use the Truma diesel heating, my battery drains within a minute. The Truma system also shows an error message: "W 160 H." It's worth mentioning that this happens when I'm not connected to an external power supply. I only have one light turned on and the refrigerator running.

Could you please help me resolve this issue? I’m quite a novice. 😉

Thank you!

IMG_6084.jpeg

IMG_6085.jpeg

IMG_6087.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Can you run the fridge on gas, they are very power hungry ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The Truma 160 code is an electronics fault but I think it may be that your battery is at fault. The diesel Truma uses a lot of battery power to light it but this is only for a short while. If the battery is goosed then the voltage may drop under this initial load causing faults to show on the Truma and other electrical systems. The one thing they all rely on is a good battery. If the van has sat on a dealers forecourt or someone’s drive whilst awaiting sale the battery often gets neglected. Does everything work ok when you are plugged into the mains?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Leisure battery is too low.
Not only the Truma is telling you that but also your control panel.
You need to charge your battery.
If you turn the knob in the controller, while you are in the battery screen (as in your picture), it will show the volts, it's probably around 10V, which is bad (that's why it's showing 0% and the battery button in the right must be flashing too).
Also you need to check the connection from the fresh water sensor to the EBL (blue box under passenger seat if you're RHD), but that's a different problem and a bit for advanced users.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like your battery can't hold a charge due to age.
If you have a voltmeter check the battery voltage, then start the heater, when it cuts out quickly check the battery voltage again.
Fully charged it should read around 12.7v
After the heater cuts it may be less than 12.v
If it is, it's knackered and beyond help.
Looking at the second photo is knackered .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
this happens when I'm not connected to an external power supply.
After how long parked and running on the battery without EHU?
What is the capacity of the leisure battery?
The 12v compressor fridge is quite power hungry.
Do you have solar panels? They may not be enough on these grey days in the U.K. Your Profile doesn't say where you are and it might help know or in future.

OP
OP
Djordje
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme 6
Can you run the fridge on gas, they are very power hungry ?
The Truma 160 code is an electronics fault but I think it may be that your battery is at fault. The diesel Truma uses a lot of battery power to light it but this is only for a short while. If the battery is goosed then the voltage may drop under this initial load causing faults to show on the Truma and other electrical systems. The one thing they all rely on is a good battery. If the van has sat on a dealers forecourt or someone’s drive whilst awaiting sale the battery often gets neglected. Does everything work ok when you are plugged into the mains?
I Everything seems fine when plugged in. The van was stationary for months before I bought it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Djordje
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme 6
Do you have solar panels? They may not be enough on these grey days in the U.K. Your Profile doesn't say where you are and it might help know or in future.

Approx 7-8h after EHU
It’s 100Ah
Yes I have solar. Im not in UK, it was a few sunny day here in Serbia where I live

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I Everything seems fine when plugged in. The van was stationary for months before I bought it.
In that case I'd say that whilst 'stationary for months' the leisure battery became discharged and deteriorated to the point of now being unable to hold a charge. It's not good to discharge a lead/acid type battery below 50% capacity of usable capacity so in reality you have only 50Ah. The battery would seem to be O.K. when you're on EHU because although the 12v equipment is O.K. on EHU it is merely 230v volts that's reduced to 12v and is 'passing through' the leisure battery.
The diesel heater needs a good voltage and current on firing up and the fridge will also be taking a fair bit from your 100Ah battery.

Last edited:

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
You could try starting your engine, this has the same effect as plugging in to EHU, by putting a charge into the battery, then starting the heater.

But everyone else is correct, your battery has had it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your battery is knackered.
Being stood so long does them no good at all
You should get a couple of days from a good battery at least, unless you have all lights on and TV on all day and night

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
It will be fine when plugged in as you are drawing 12v dc from the mains via your internal charging unit which is also charging the 12v battery. Sounds like your leisure battery needs to be replaced. At least this proves your charging system is good.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
The compressor fridge in our van running for 36 hours completely exhausted a fully charged AGM battery.
This was before a lithium battery and as much solar as I could get on the roof.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The compressor fridge in our van running for 36 hours completely exhausted a fully charged AGM battery.
What size AGM?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
We bought our globecar new knowing the standard agm leisure battery would not keep the fridge going for more than 2 days max. We had solar and lithoum fitted after buying. The 230Ah underseat lithium will give us min 4 days without any solar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back