Battery drain (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2018
Funster No
Basically, when we bought our Autotrail Arapaho 3 months ago it had 3 new batterys installed, 2x new leisure batterys and 1x Cab battery. We are having trouble with the cab battery. The leisures are fine they are showing maximum 13+ volts(solar panel on roof) but the cab battery is only lasting about 4/5 days. But on the sargent display it's reading 12v good. When you go to start it, it just labours very heavy and dies. Had an auto electrician come and look at it and he says he thinks the body control unit is faulty, it's draining the battery. I've tried searching and there seems to be a lot of issues with the fiat electrical systems. Any advice would be great, whether regards getting a new unit or even a 2nd hand part. The van is the 3.0 multijet 160. Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just as a test..... Connect a decent jump lead FROM a clean point on the engine to the battery NEG post then try starting.
That will show if there's an engine/body earthing problem.
12v isn't a good voltage but should be enough to spin the engine fast enough.

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
We have the same van (2010) using an EC325 charger. We to have issues.
I like to listen to the radio during the day which drains the vehicle battery. Although the system should automatically charge the vehicle battery, for some reason it doesn't.
I monitor the vehicle battery voltage via the control panel, when the voltage drops I select the vehicle battery option on the controller. The charger then boosts that battery. Remember to switch back to leisure otherwise all your power will come from the vehicle battery.
Hope this makes sense.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There's a few solutions to this problem.

1. Get a small smart charger, like a CTEK MSX5.0, and connect it permanently to the cab battery, and leave it plugged into the mains of the MH. Whenever you are on EHU it will keep the cab battery topped up. There's enough power for it to keep up when the radio is on. No need to use the switch on the controller then.

2. Connect the radio power wire to the leisure battery. The radio permanent live can stay connected to the cab battery, it doesn't take much power. Can be a problem if it's one of those motorhomes where the power to the leisure circuits is cut when you start the engine.

3. Connect a switch to connect the radio power wire to either the cab or leisure battery. Or even use a relay to switch automatically when you start the engine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Does the seller not have any responsibility if it is only three months since you purchased it?
There is always the possibility that the cab battery actually has a fault, so worth having it tested under load.
If others are experiencing similar problems, perhaps get the Sargent checked out as your electrician indicated..
I doubt very much that there are many faults with the Fiat system, as they are a tried and tested system with many tens of thousand working as they should.
Sargent repairs are a fixed price so could be cheaper than hiring additional Auto Electrical repairers at around £80+.
https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/repairs

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Is the starter on the way out??? I had a lazy starter on a tranny yrs ago, starters turning over slowly and eventually packed up!! Just a thought.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with parasitic drains on the battery of most fiats, its not uncommon for a cab battery being drained in under a week

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back