• Well done, you found us. THIS IS THE NEW SERVER

Bailey Advance slow to drain gray (1 Viewer)

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
So reverse your argument about getting Baileys fixed on the continent and you could say "try getting a Morelo fixed in the UK".

I am merely saying that for the number of Motorhomes Bailey produce yearly they are no worse than smaller output manufacturers. In fact for the price asked they offer an awful lot of value for money. Having owned mine for the last seven years I could suggest that it is good to be handy with a screwdriver but this really just applies to any manufacturer that is trying to stay within the magic 3500kg without making the van out of balsa wood.

The secret to happy Motorhoming seems to be 60% manufacturer making a half decent van in the first place and 40% dealer prepared to fix any issues occurring during the warranty period. It helps if they are 50miles away and not 500 with a ferry ride or trip through a tunnel in between.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Right, getting back to the original post. My grey suddenly started to empty slow. I took all the drain pipes off, including the large cap on the base and found a round piece of plastic in there that kept blocking the dump hole. It seems to be the bit that is cut out when they are assembling the tank. Once I removed that all OK. All the other useful posts like fitting a vent, bigger sized pipes etc etc are all good for the next stage where you have to spend money. Good luck.

Feb 13, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115 Vogue
Exp
Since 2010
Our Elddis was embarrassingly slow at dump points. The pipe diameter seemed adequate but the drain tap was far too small. Bought a much bigger tap and made a new bracket to support it. Problem solved!

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hymer's have a pan European warranty you can take them to any dealer in Europe. šŸ˜Š

Try getting a Bailey fixed if you are on holiday in France/Spain /Gernany/Greece etc. šŸ¤£
100% agree when i had the Bailey issues in Spain,Germany& Sweden one look at van not interested, Now very welcome with the Dethleffs šŸ‘

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
That's easy turn off the electric dump valve and drive off. Surprising how much water is still in the pipe as I found out with the irate German shouting at me. šŸ˜Š
For you, ze water is overā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
If the drain tap is the plastic grey one that is often fitted there may be a plastic outlet baffel inside it , which , if is removed, can sometimes improve the flow of the waste water.
We had a similar problem with our Roller Team. Our grey tap had two semi circular baffles immediately inside the spout of the tap, effectively halving the flow. I simply cut the two baffles out with a drill and was amazed at how much faster the grey tank now empties.

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Hi folks, as the title says.

People I know have recently purchased a Bailey Advance motor home.
They have owned it for around 4 months now. Not sure if new or s/hand.
They are saying that the gray waste takes forever to drain. Not good when at a dump site.

Is this a common thing or more than likely an issue somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Edit: It's pre-loved.
:giggle:
Can be a problem on pre-owned motorhomes, I've learnt over the years that if you do use the sink, for whatever, you have to avoid washing dirty dishes, by using kitchen towel, to clean them first, then the towel goes in the bin, waste taps can get clogged, cos of a build up of dirty water, I recently acquired a 6 month old van, 10000 miles on the clock, and it as caused me many problems with drainage, after stripping, the tap down which was clogged, a few times, it is now behaving itself, that tap area also seems to get much road dirt on that particular van, which doesn't help the operation of the taps, in my case, I stripped everything down, brackets as well, cleaned everything down and resprayed, much better now. Other than that the van was in as, new condition, but had been used considerably, during that mileage, certainly didn't pay attention to what they put down the drain.
Regards Ronbyracer.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Might be worth the poster checking there is not any swarf blocking the tank outlet at the tank end of the waste pipe - that has been a cause in the past on some Baileys. Unscrew the waste pipe at the tank end and take a look.View attachment 893134
I replaced the cheap ribbed hoses on my Auto-Trail. Boat background, just asking for debris and blockage.
Measure OD of outlet and visit a boat chandler for smooth waste hose. Couple of clips and job done.
Apart from increased flow, fat, hair other bits don't catch. Less chance of stagnant stench.

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I concur with Vic. Our PVC's waste was the usual useless 28mm waste pipe which was situated 2/3rds of the way down the waste tank. I removed the tank and fitted a 3inch gate valve with extended release. What a difference, seconds to empty with a huge "Woosssh". It works well on drive-over grids but "sucks" when the site does not have one! It then becomes a pain and we have to use the washing-up bowl.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Vic
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
If the drain tap is the plastic grey one that is often fitted there may be a plastic outlet baffel inside it , which , if is removed, can sometimes improve the flow of the waste water.
Thanks for the Top Tip!

Removing the plastic baffle in the grey tap on my Autotrail PVC is perhaps the easiest and most pleasing mod I've done on the van. And free to do! šŸ‘

Took two minutes. Pry out with a twisting motion using a flat bladed knife. Flow was previously just about bearable. Now it's an absolute torrent. I've no idea what the supposed point of the baffle is - but it's infinitely better without it inserted. šŸ‘

PXL_20240508_160423595.jpg

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Can anyone enlighten me/us?

Will probably remove mine if reassured it offers no benefit!
Go for it! It's only purpose is to intentionally restrict the flow. Bonkers!

If you remove it and decide you actually like waiting for the grey to drain after all, then simply reinsert it again. 10 second job. Nothing to lose. šŸ‘

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back