Backpack to hold thetford cassette. (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Anyone recommend a backpack that can fit a bog cassette in (min. 46x32x25) ? You can;'t just enter those dimensions into amazon et al, it seems.

I'm guessing you can't just carry them into a motorway service station ...

edit - ok, found some wheelie cases. Is that more or less suspicious than a backpack?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Done that as well. :D
To be honest many people wouldn't have a clue what it was.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with emptying a cassette in a public toilet. It's far far better than it being disposed of incorrectly. It's just one of those things that Joe public loves to make a big deal out of so discretion is the best approach.

I still think the best thing Europe wide would be to create a simple drain with a grid next to every public toilet that feeds in to the same pipes .. its not hard or expensive but unfortunately it will likely never happen.

One good thing about turkey was its abundance of public toilets...many of which were half derelict so it would be very easy to dispose of cassette waste.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
daventess thank you so much for this thread, it's been a brilliant read:giggle:(y)
You're welcome :giggle:

I wasn't expecting it to be so controversial, but that's my naivity for you. I guess where opinions & rules don't always appear toi align, you'll get a toasty debate :)

I'm still none the wiser as to whether you're allowed to or not, but I'm certainly now well aware of where people stand on it ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

I wasn't expecting it to be so controversial, but that's my naivity for you. I guess where opinions & rules don't always appear toi align, you'll get a toasty debate :)

I'm still none the wiser as to whether you're allowed to or not, but I'm certainly now well aware of where people stand on it ...

I think on the “allowed to or not bit“ if not using chemicals then there‘s no technical reason why not. The other topics raised in this thread relate to curtesy, manors and what people themselves think is OK or not.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

If you really want to start a controversial thread, ask about A-frames! :rofl:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I shall avoid at all costs.

Now then, how to word my question regarding the powder that absorbs liquids into a gel so it can be put in a bag and binned ....

(... puts flack helmet on ....:LOL: )
No need to bag liquids, just find a suitable place to empty your pee bottle discretely ... ideally not when being observed from the rear as someone may think you have a massive bladder to empty! :rofl:

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

I take the view that unless there's signage to state specifically that something is not allowed then it is allowed.

And some of the stuff that's stated not allowed I do anyway 😁.

Rules are meant to be broken

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2017
Lowestoft UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
since 2003
Long time since i emptied in a public toilet and that was one of those metal ones with no seat in Ireland ,tend to use Haven and C&C holidaysites in the uk, but i do very often empty at home and then i flush the toilet and press the button on the cassette and its always clean and no mess.As for other peoples toilet habits the number of times i have had to clean or flush other peoples crap before i can use it is unbelievable in the UK and in Europe.
What gets me is the shear amount of people that use toilets, and STILL never wash their hands. I thought the only good thing to come out of covid was the fact that (or so I thought) it was going to be that it would become second nature.
"Your avin a giraffe aint ya" At the American cemetery in Normandy, and no one coming, out while I was in there could be bothered.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
What gets me is the shear amount of people that use toilets, and STILL never wash their hands. I thought the only good thing to come out of covid was the fact that (or so I thought) it was going to be that it would become second nature.
"Your avin a giraffe aint ya" At the American cemetery in Normandy, and no one coming, out while I was in there could be bothered.

That and some of the truck stop service stations where I could empty the cassette all over the floor and it would look and smell better afterwards. My cassette emptying dow the bowl would at least give the cubicle I'm in its first flush of the day ...

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
By planning ahead that point should never be reached.. and if you have two, then you end up with ..two ... to empty ..

Of course planning ahead might mean paying for a CL.. heaven forbid ..
Plan heaven forbid my park up tonight is 30 miles away from.planned

Upvote 0

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
This thread has been an education! If it sounds like Austin Powers is going to the loo beside me in a motorway services I'll know what's going on and look out for the tell-tale canvas carrier bag! Surprised no one has brought up payload tolerances if carrying two full cassettes in the discussion!! 😂

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
This thread has been an education! If it sounds like Austin Powers is going to the loo beside me in a motorway services I'll know what's going on and look out for the tell-tale canvas carrier bag! Surprised no one has brought up payload tolerances if carrying two full cassettes in the discussion!! 😂
You just did :eek:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't have a pvc admittedly but there must be some storage under the bed / seating surely?
under the pull out double bed / sofa is a Truma water heater, a Eberspacher diesel space heater, 12v and 240 v distribution boxes, charger.. and a Shurflo water pump, the remaining small space is used for outdoor shoes etc.

but even if it were empty,. the last thing I would want is a full cassette of poo sloshing around under where we sleep.. no thanks ..

floor plan.. D is the sofa/bed

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 19.01.12.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Just some of the reasons why motorhoming in the UK is too much like hard work and we head across the water whenever we can.

why is it hard work...

there are as many CLs and small independent camp sites in the UK as there are aires in France.. all have full facilities .. and hundreds of free dumping points without using public toilets ..

the only hard work involved (for some) is opening the wallet... 🦋 👐

I also love France but it's not better than the UK.. just different..

Exactly, it only takes a bit of planning like any trips though I've gone off the cl's cs's a bit with rising costs and they dont always suit us. I like places close to towns due to the mobility scooter for the wife etc, but that's us. Certainly when it comes to our current 11 night trip we've only used sites twice and of course used their facilities on those occasions and only needed to seek out a CDP one other day which was the aire at Auchertyre for a fiver. More than happy to use those sort of facilities. Just wish there were more of them.
If you’re happy dumping your cassette in public toilets and feel there’s nothing wrong with doing that why do you need a bag? Why not just carry the cassette in?
I think you know the answer to that to be honest.

I think there's a difference between public perception and something being illegal or harmful.
Precisely.
They're usually in the middle of nowhere with rubbish public transport and life threatening walking and cycling routes
That's quite the generalisation, I don't disagree some may be but then that's why theres so much choice and all you gotta do is a little planning to avoid them and use the ones suited to your needs.
If stealth is required, you must feel that it's not the right thing to do.
Where it's OK, you can be blatant and even use the wheels on the cassette if necessary.
Rubbish.
Cobham Services on the M25 has one.
OK, that's 1 :)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
under the pull out double bed / sofa is a Truma water heater, a Eberspacher diesel space heater, 12v and 240 v distribution boxes, charger.. and a Shurflo water pump, the remaining small space is used for outdoor shoes etc.

but even if it were empty,. the last thing I would want is a full cassette of poo sloshing around under where we sleep.. no thanks ..
Ah so there is room technically, you just don't want to do it. Well, we've had a second cassette for about 18 months, it sits in a plastic box (no lid) under the bed "sloshing around" it's never once leaked or stunk. (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I don't have a pvc admittedly but there must be some storage under the bed / seating surely?
In my PVC Murvi, there is 7 overhead lockers, 3 kitchen cupboards and clear under bed space. Plus a 7 x 3 ft wardrobe.
But happy to report, as I visit Campsites every few days, I don't need to use any of it to store any toilet equipment. 👍

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah so there is room technically, you just don't want to do it. Well, we've had a second cassette for about 18 months, it sits in a plastic box (no lid) under the bed "sloshing around" it's never once leaked or stunk. (y)
no.. there is no room..it's almost full of kit..

and besides, as we don't use carparks or lay-bys to overnight it would never be required. .. sites and aires all have excellent facilities

we have need or desire to tote 17 kg of $hit about

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
In my PVC Murvi, there is 7 overhead lockers, 3 kitchen cupboards and clear under bed space. Plus a 7 x 3 ft wardrobe.
But happy to report, as I visit Campsites every few days, I don't need to use any of it to store any toilet equipment. 👍

and besides, as we don't use carparks or lay-bys to overnight it would never be required. .. sites and aires all have excellent facilities

Which all continues to prove why everyone has different needs and approach their trips in different ways for different experiences (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

This is the thing though isn't it, there is absolutely no need for it, I know it's not so easy in the UK but simple in Europe but you only have to get park4night up on your phone and it will tell you where you can empty your toilet properly.
I don't know how many are in the ops van but for us two we can easily go three days between emptying but if we see somewhere we can empty we empty it even if we have only gone a day.
Different thing altogether I know but we do the same with water , anywhere we go that we can fill ,we do , no need to wait till it's empty.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
We normally stay in Aires, last night near Valencia it was half full @12€ and yet there was a few motorhomes parked nearby. Always makes me smile how they are happy to part with 90€+ but too tight to pay 12€ and yet still sneak in to empty cassette as siesta.
No stealth dumping as the had D on numberplate!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back