B2B upgrade (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Hobby Vantana on a Mk8 Ducato 140hp with a 25 amp B2B as standard.
I will shortly upgrade to an OPS 280 Li and am thinking that a 50 amp B2B would be better for the large battery.
But, I have no idea how powerful my alternator is and if it will have problems with the higher amp charger. Can any of the B2B experts advise me ? Thanks in advance.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Doubt your alternator would be too small for 50amp but someone will know the likely size - cable length and size might need review though since the existing system is 25amp - Depending on length of run it would be preferable to use 25mm² if under 5m then 16mm²- If you get an Orion XS which is very efficient 98.5% you can alter the input/output to suit until you do whatever changes are needed. I would normally work on around 40% of the alternator for the max B2B, but some opinions differ!

OP
OP
TrudeandDall
Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Doubt your alternator would be too small for 50amp but someone will know the likely size - cable length and size might need review though since the existing system is 25amp - Depending on length of run it would be preferable to use 25mm² if under 5m then 16mm²- If you get an Orion XS which is very efficient 98.5% you can alter the input/output to suit until you do whatever changes are needed. I would normally work on around 40% of the alternator for the max B2B, but some opinions differ!
Thanks for the info... The cable run to the B2B is only from the starter battery to under the drivers seat, so really short. I believe that currently this is I0mm², so I will increase this to 16mm². I already have 16mm² cables running from the drivers seat to the passenger seat base, and this is where the new battery will live.
The B2B will be a Votronic 50 amp. Votronic recommend 16mm² for runs of up to 8m. So given my max 1.5m run I should be well inside the requirements with 16mm².

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back