B2B fan won’t stop (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
Hi,

Have I broken my B2B

Stupidly I left the 2kva inverter switched on and then drive off up the motorway with fridge and heating running off electric.

So inverter drawing up to 180amps out while B2B trying to put a few back in to 400ah of Sterling lithium battery

I noticed a worrying electical smell, heard a beeping alarm, so stopped.

Sterling 60amp B2B and Vanbitz battery master too hot to touch.

1 hour later B2B is very cool but fan is still on

smartshunt shows van battery with low voltage, but leisure batteries are normal

battery master still too hot to touch and has a red light on.

Do I need to do something to stop the fan on the cold B2B? It’s very loud.

Is battery master trying to recharge starter battery from leisure ones? Can or should I stop it

Any help much appreciated
Alistair

Attachments

• 80CA4B9B-1AC8-424E-8E99-3E6A425E431F.png
    80CA4B9B-1AC8-424E-8E99-3E6A425E431F.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 43
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
While it may be cold to touch, Components inside me still be warm? I would give it 1hr before fully disconnecting it. Interesting scenario, B2B should cope with its full output, specially when fan assisted cooling. The draw is on the batteries, the B2B just replaces only a prt of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
Thanks Raul. The B2B fan is still going and the van has been switch off for about 90 minutes.

Battery master still too hot to touch with red light on

Tried turning off the B2B by holding the two buttons down at the same time (as per manual) but nothing happened and it didn’t turn off.

Surely 90 minutes of a fan will make it cold.

Any idea how I can turn B2B off?
Send me your details and I will pop into the office, pull your notes and give you a call
wow. Thank you so much. I’ve sent an personal message with my phone number

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
Here’s a picture of the lights on the B2B

It didn’t respond to me holding down the two buttons for 5 seconds to turn it off. But maybe I didn’t do it right

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 08233C9A-CA12-46E1-BF95-8F2F3953A89E.jpeg
    08233C9A-CA12-46E1-BF95-8F2F3953A89E.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Similar with Sterling B2B happened to me. Disconnected B2b and reset then back to normal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
Just an update that the fan is still running on the B2B and the battery master is still too hot to touch.

So I tried starting the van. The starter battery is totally dead. And van won’t start.

The good news is the B2B fan has stopped

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Have you disconnected the battery master yet.

I'd discon both and start again after checks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
Have you disconnected the battery master yet.

I'd discon both and start again after checks
I hadn't done so yet. Waiting on formal guidance from the fitter :) while the RAC is on their way.

But, more good news.

In the 45 minutes since trying (and failing) to start the engine, the starter battery voltage has increased from 11.8 to 12.36, and the engine has started.

The battery master light is showing red, which I think means it's sending charging the starter from the leisure battery, but it's not hot anymore, just warm. and the B2B is silent, showing no lights.

Deeply confused, but I think it's working; God knows why.

RAC cancelled.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Apr 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic
It been 23 months and its happened again.

After one hours driving in the hills of the Lot valley, we stopped at an Aire and found that the Battery master, Sterling B2B and Leisure batteries were red hot. The B2B fan carried on running and had a few warning lights on. The battery master had a red light, and the shunt showed the starter battery was at 11v.

After 50 minutes nothing had changed, so I tried to restart the van. The engine turned over once then died, and there wasn't enough in the battery to turn over again. However, the B2B emitted a single loud beep and the fan stopped.

Over the next hour, the battery master went about it's business, topped up the starter batter, the warning lights disappeared, and the battery master stopped being red !

So, still no idea why it happens, but it seems that if it all gets too hot the B2B won't turn off until the engine is rested and then cycled. Not ideal, but if it works then I'm ok.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
The Sterling B2B sould be wired so that it is activated only by the alternator D+ signal.

There are other ways of activating it, but they are not as reliable and can result in a discharged starter battery, particularly when used with a Battery Master.

Do you have the Sterling documentation handy? I can make a few suggestions on which settings to change to stop your starter battery being discharged like it is.

---------------------------------------------------

But, having said that, I think the secondary problem is the way your inverter is wired.

Being able to unplug the EHU and drive off with the inverter pulling 180 amps is not good, but let us fix the B2B settings first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back