Awnings for panel van conversion. (1 Viewer)

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Hi guys we get our 5.4m PVC in a couple of months. We have been looking at bits we will want and have done ok on our reserach but we are unsure regarding awnings. We like the porch awning style which is inflatable but are looking for one that attaches to the canopy (once canopy has been wound in) but we do not want one that has sides that touch the van. If anyone has any suggestions it would be great to see what choices we have.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi, such fun looking forward and planning. However, I did quite a bit of research last year into porch style awning and especially inflatable. I found that most inflatables have too large diameter ribs and do not clear the top of the sliding door when open. I also looked at the weight and size of one packed up and we would not have had the space to carry one.
A purchase to be made later when you have your van and can see where the awning rail on the wind out canopy sits.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hi guys we get our 5.4m PVC in a couple of months. We have been looking at bits we will want and have done ok on our reserach but we are unsure regarding awnings. We like the porch awning style which is inflatable but are looking for one that attaches to the canopy (once canopy has been wound in) but we do not want one that has sides that touch the van. If anyone has any suggestions it would be great to see what choices we have.
Why not touch the van sides, if you want a gap them you may as well get a drive away one.
At the moment we use the Kampa Rally one which is a caravan awning and fix it to the sides with the rear poles against the padding which is part of the awning. We have also used magnets to attach it to the van. Any motorhome awning slotted into your awning channel will touch the van.

Reactions: TC3
OP
OP
TC3

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Why not touch the van sides, if you want a gap them you may as well get a drive away one.
At the moment we use the Kampa Rally one which is a caravan awning and fix it to the sides with the rear poles against the padding which is part of the awning. We have also used magnets to attach it to the van. Any motorhome awning slotted into your awning channel will touch the van.
Actually we did not consider a drive away one as did not really look into them at all. We are looking for something that is independant and just connected by material to the canopy to give some shelter but at same time have access from both sides of the van. Just our preference to not have anything touching the van sides.

Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
If you look at these pictures, then on the 4th / 5th you can see that although there is a "side" to the awning, it doesn't really touch the van, and as well as opening the door, as in this image, you might be able to roll up the side part that is left - which would leave you with just the top part connecting the van to the self-contained awning.
I'm not trying to change your mind or convince you to get a Drive-away awning of course.
Otherwise, something like a sheltapod, but inflatable?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We have a Vango Faro which uses poles. It’s a doddle to put up and packs away small. Seen too many inflatables deflate!

OP
OP
TC3

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
If you look at these pictures, then on the 4th / 5th you can see that although there is a "side" to the awning, it doesn't really touch the van, and as well as opening the door, as in this image, you might be able to roll up the side part that is left - which would leave you with just the top part connecting the van to the self-contained awning.
I'm not trying to change your mind or convince you to get a Drive-away awning of course.
Otherwise, something like a sheltapod, but inflatable?
Drive away awning may just work if I can fold away the slim flaps left behind when side doors rolled up cheers

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Drive away awning may just work if I can fold away the slim flaps left behind when side doors rolled up cheers
I agree with Riverbankannie wait until you have your van and used it for a while . It's quite a big purchase and ask on here how many have this kind of thing and its left home. You may even consider a quest .
Also how do you use your van on sites or not. If not you won't use it .
Have funny window shopping first

OP
OP
TC3

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
I agree with Riverbankannie wait until you have your van and used it for a while . It's quite a big purchase and ask on here how many have this kind of thing and its left home. You may even consider a quest .
Also how do you use your van on sites or not. If not you won't use it .
Have funny window shopping first
We will be doing sites by dog friendly beach a couple of weeks a year. An awning would be good to have a covered area to clean dog up and leave stuff out as well as sit outside as the van is very compact and would refer more space when on sites for several days. Maybe looked on ebay for a used one once I have the van.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We will be doing sites by dog friendly beach a couple of weeks a year. An awning would be good to have a covered area to clean dog up and leave stuff out as well as sit outside as the van is very compact and would refer more space when on sites for several days. Maybe looked on ebay for a used one once I have the van.
Don't for the classified on here but ghere seem few bargains lately. Prices have gone up both new and secondhand.

Done forget we want pics when your van arrives

OP
OP
TC3

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Don't for the classified on here but ghere seem few bargains lately. Prices have gone up both new and secondhand.

Done forget we want pics when your van arrives
Yeah will keep an eye on the classifieds cheers, no hurry as get van in April and 1st trip is to Holland and Germany in June, awning would come in handy in August for beach trip.

Pics to follow once van is picked up 😀

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can get caravan porch awnings with fully removable side panels but they will still have a small section which will be against the camper, alternatively there are some with zipped doors on both side which can be rolled up to give open access at both sides but the rolls sections again would be next to your van rather than away from it.

An alternative is a sun canopy something like this:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whatever you go for though get ones with poles rather than an 'air' version as you can can easily store the poles and the cover separately rather than having to find one large place for an air awning which can be very large and cumbersome and often heavier than their pole counterparts.

OP
OP
TC3

TC3

Jul 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carado CV540 Pro
Whatever you go for though get ones with poles rather than an 'air' version as you can can easily store the poles and the cover separately rather than having to find one large place for an air awning which can be very large and cumbersome and often heavier than their pole counterparts.
Will look at both types as space is no issue really, we only plan to take the awning when pitching for 4 or more days and it can easily sit on the transverse rear bed to and from a site. Having talked with wifey she wants us to look into a drive away one as a good space to play with the pup on rainy daasy to detach from ifd and leave chairs and table inside.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a PVC and spent years looking at different awnings, blow ups, poles etc. We spend weeks at a time away and also weekends and the odd week. For years when we were away we’d have a Quest popup for storage and even cooking in. Occasionally sitting in. We find the new one very dark and not so good for that.

What we’ve had for the last 3 years which we love . It’s great if we stay in place for a few days or more and the weather’s breezy is 2 clear sides to attach to our windout awning. We have storm straps plus 2 extra straps in case its windy. It’s a Thule omnistor. It means you feel connected to the outside but you’re sheltered.

Just another thing to think about as you said it would only be for a couple of weeks by a beach. Omnistor do special curved ones that fit the PVC nicely. We are short arses and after having to borrow Martin Mousy on our first trip out with them we have now got the hang of it with our little Dunelm step stools!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back