Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar 5 Star
Exp
Since May2,000
I was thinking of buying an awing but at the rally in Thorpe le Soken I didn’t see any awnings but many gazebo’s. I was wondering what is the best gazebo to buy and Why?

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
An awning like Guam’s bolted to the van is great for shade easily put out and retracted great to have door open in the rain
Quest is great if your staying more than a couple of nights
We have both this time and have moved an awfull lot this trip and not used the quest but previous yrs have used it a lot
Just depends how you use your van

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Quest is great for storage overnight for table and chairs
Do you have the storage for the quest they are quite long

OP
OP
O
Sep 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar 5 Star
Exp
Since May2,000
Yes I think we have storage! I don’t have a garage to put chairs etc in if it rains at the campsite. And it would be great to sit in when it’s wet outside.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Hi if you don’t have a garage but have storage for it what van do you have out of interest and where would you store it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O
Sep 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar 5 Star
Exp
Since May2,000
Do I buy a quest 4 or 6? I think I need to go and look at a showroom

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Another consideration..

Gazebos are not allowed on some campsites and those that do often charge extra ..

Roll out awnings do not have these restrictions..

OP
OP
O
Sep 24, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar 5 Star
Exp
Since May2,000
I have a wind out awning but when it’s pouring down the table and chairs get wet thru.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
A pop up awning is lighter than an awning that’s fixed to the van plus to make it a room you have the weight of the Bunin sides and front to consider
Plus the quest you can leave and drive out for the day something to consider
Consider buying a quest they hold there value if you don’t like it sell it then you could buy the awning and sides

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Quest Screen House don't cry when the wind gets up!
Yes they do bend a bit but in the same wind do fiamma awnings and room fair any better
Asking as I don’t know and not criticising your comment

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have both, use awning when away with the grandkids Use quest when abroad. Saw a blow up gazebo when we visited DIL last week, went up in minutes, but sides are separate, which has plus and minusses, our Quest has fixed sides although they can be opened for air flow if buying now not sure what I would get the air one will withstand winds better.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
In high winds we would roll the Fiamma back in, especially after seeing someone having to cut the rest free so they wouldn't take the side off their van.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Storing anything on the floor can make using the van difficult when travelling can you get to the table and kettle for lunch.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have a quest 4 for rallies, we don’t bother to carry it when touring. The design of it is great for putting up and taking down but not great in the rain unless you attach rainproof sides to the outside as the rain just comes in the mesh side fabric. It is not great sitting in a covered up area. If it is not nice enough just to sit outside then we are more comfortable inside the camper. We only use it to put the chairs in overnight.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Did you miss our inflatable awning at Thorpe? it was only bought last week, 'pre loved' and one of the side straps had snapped, so it wasnt perfect, BUT it was ideal for us. it's a driveaway, but i doubt we would ever use it as that. For us the big advantage was just stepping out of the motorhome into it, with the rainy weather we had it really extended the living area. However, we wouldnt take it with us everywhere and will prob only use it on rallies where we are parked up for a few days, we certainly wont take it with us when touring in the UK or EU, but could see its use if parked on a site (winter sun?) for a few weeks.

it took around 15 minutes to erect, which is slower than the quests and also about the same to take down, again slower than the quests.

would i spend £400++ on one? NO !! but if you can find an inflatable for a lot less, then its worth considering

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
For us getting a Quest has been a much better experience, we use it far more than the drive away as it is up and pegged down in five minutes. Being able to decide exactly where to erect it is also a bonus as occasionally the non van door side maybe the sunny side.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Quest Screenhouse PRO 4!
Brilliant piece of kit, but a bit heavy.
AND, when used on gravel or hard standing, you are best to get some form of protection to put under each corner support to stop the material chaffing on the gravel.
But as a storage area, wet weather seating area, cooking area and even a sleeping area, they are brilliant!
We even use ours at home for parties, etc outdoors and have even used it at a car boot when selling stuff.
Very, Very useful piece of kit.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
We have the Maypole version. Easy to use and lighter than an awning.

IMG_1348.jpeg

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Theresa
We’ve got both awning and Quest 6

The awning is great for touring around, rolls in and out quickly and is great for both sunny and showery weather alike.
Needs putting in at night and sometimes in the day if the weather is going to be a bit blustery.

The Quest is more for rallies, more like another room, especially when the side panels are on. I put ours up at Thorpe on my own and all it took was a bit of effort and a can of Stella (other refreshments are available)
It’s also stormproof - at one of Jaws rallies at the Thetford Rugby Club I expected to see it flattened after a very heavy rainstorm but everything was fine and the inside was perfectly dry

Keep your eyes on the Classified section, I have seen a few Quests up for sale

John

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
The Quest is more for rallies, more like another room, especially when the side panels are on. I put ours up at Thorpe on my own and all it took was a bit of effort and a can of Stella (other refreshments are available)

John
Just the one can? If you have an awning, that's more difficult to erect, you can get away with two cans, other drinks containers are available....😁😁😁😁

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Other cans may have been consumed before and after the main event, but just the 1 can was on public view…..

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Maybe a bit late ... but Quest Screenhouse Pro 4 (the 6 can be too big for campsite pitches) & wildcard Cinch Hub https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-pop-up-shelter-to-a-driveaway-awning.258104/ get our vote :) We bought the Quest but sold it after only a few days use as carrying/storing it, due to it's length when folded up, was problematical in our 6m van conversion whereas the Cinch is easy to store & transport. Like a lot of fellow Funsters we tried many attached awnings & didn't find any that worked well enough.

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
We have Quest 6
We are currently in Looe and the top has dropped down twice so far plus the rain is wicking through in patches and dropping on the table

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I had a Quest 4 for several years and only got rid when I changed to a smaller van - it was just too big to transport. I now have a Cinch Hub as recommended by Wombles and love it - especially when we add the storage attachment (accessory). Takes up a lot less space to transport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back