Autotrail frontier navajo, flat tyre. (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Hi All FYI, I had a blowout rear passenger side, on the motorway last night. The jack provide under the passenger seat would not lift the motorhome high enough to get the spare wheel on. So I you need to carry a big block of wood, or get a bottle jack, that what my son brought me to get the wheel on.

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Hi All more information for you and advice please.
Looking at my tyres they are all dated 2012 and look in good condition, no signs of perishing.
Called to get a price and the chap said I should have CP rating tyres for a motorhome.
All my tyres except 1 are C rated. The one that had a blowout was C rated, my only CP rated one is my spare tyre.
The manual says nothing about tyre ratings only give a size.
Any thoughts

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Camper tyres are a contentious subject. I'm of the opinion that load is load and a motorhome kg is the same as a van kg. So I use van tyres that are well within the load rating.

Tyre life is generally considered to be 5 to 6 years. Rubber starts to lose its elasticity well before it starts cracking.

But it might just have been down to bad luck. You'll never know.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No way would I drive a van with tyres that old, very dangerous as you found out.
I would replace all 5 ASAP, and wouldn't use camping tyres awful ride and terrible grip.

OP
OP
B
Feb 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail navajo
Hi anyone use Maxxis tyre's, seen some on Internet and the are about £40 less than other CP rated tyre's?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hi anyone use Maxxis tyre's, seen some on Internet and the are about £40 less than other CP rated tyre's?

Put 6 225/75/R16 AS/AL2 all seasons 3peaks marked on our 5.3T Carthago last year,what a difference 👍 luckily our stockist is just over the road, £114 each 🙂

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Maxxis are not CP rated, only Michelin, Continental & Pirelli make CP tyres.

I would avoid CP tyres, Michelin are the worse for hard ride & lack of grip.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Continental Campo Tyres and Michellin camper tyres are designed for motorhomes and have more steel in the walls to prevent flat spots from developing when stationary for long periods. They are also capable of running with higher pressures due to bigger loads. You get what you pay for! These tyres are the dog's and the vast majority of experianced M'home owners have one or other fitted.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Continental Campo Tyres and Michellin camper tyres are designed for motorhomes and have more steel in the walls to prevent flat spots from developing when stationary for long periods. They are also capable of running with higher pressures due to bigger loads. You get what you pay for! These tyres are the dog's and the vast majority of experianced M'home owners have one or other fitted.
They are load rated for whatever they are load rated for. A kg is a kg. There are plenty of commercial vans that are loaded just as hard as motorhomes, and van tyres have to cope with those scenarios.

The skeptic in me thinks that convertors fit them because they get a good deal from Michelin (who then makes money for the rest of the vehicles life). And because it reduces issues for the converter when the vans sit in various states of build for up to a year before they are sold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back