autosleeper mercedes winchcombe questions (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
i have just bought a winchcombe as it fits our needs nicely but i have a couple of niggles, made worse by the fact its off to italy in a couple of weeks time.

Because i am an old git like most of us here im having to joust with the dvla about my " medical condition " and as a result my wife has got to drive, and as i do all the driving ( she likes to look out the window - and i like to drive ) she hasnt driven any motorhome for a few years and that prompted us to rush out and buy an auto, and i have alway fancied a Merc, and so.. NOW - the van drove nicely until she took the helm and booted it out of the services on the m5 and it stayed in second gear until almost 5000 rpm and which point i said pull over and lets see whats happening. we returned it to park and turned off the engine. We then started off again more gently and it worked fine. and she drove the remaining150 miles ok. Your thoughts gentleman ?

Also - it was 30c and after an hour or so we noticed the aircon that started off as a stronge breeze reduced to a gentle breeze and we proceeded to gently cook - thoughts ?
Finally for now... i will need the eu adapters 3 - i think - but when i looked online it asked did i want 1mm or 22 mm - is this the diameter of the nozzle on my van ?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
i have just bought a winchcombe as it fits our needs nicely but i have a couple of niggles, made worse by the fact its off to italy in a couple of weeks time.

Because i am an old git like most of us here im having to joust with the dvla about my " medical condition " and as a result my wife has got to drive, and as i do all the driving ( she likes to look out the window - and i like to drive ) she hasnt driven any motorhome for a few years and that prompted us to rush out and buy an auto, and i have alway fancied a Merc, and so.. NOW - the van drove nicely until she took the helm and booted it out of the services on the m5 and it stayed in second gear until almost 5000 rpm and which point i said pull over and lets see whats happening. we returned it to park and turned off the engine. We then started off again more gently and it worked fine. and she drove the remaining150 miles ok. Your thoughts gentleman ?

Also - it was 30c and after an hour or so we noticed the aircon that started off as a stronge breeze reduced to a gentle breeze and we proceeded to gently cook - thoughts ?
Finally for now... i will need the eu adapters 3 - i think - but when i looked online it asked did i want 1mm or 22 mm - is this the diameter of the nozzle on my van ?
Is it a torque converter or Robotised manual (SprintShift)

Or just tell me the model year ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
2016 and guessing 5 speed with toque converter, and lpg eu adapters

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
2016 and guessing 5 speed with toque converter, and lpg eu adapters
It is a 7 speed box and when it stuck in second gear the lever would have been knocked over to manual and locked in. Try on the next run and just knock it back to full auto for normal service. I did the same shuffling on the seat and knocked it with my knee.
The air con sounds like it may be ready for a regas top up. As it works for a while it is probably in good order but low on gas.
LPG adapters can be found on Amazon or caravan shops.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
thank you for that - but to be clear how do you put it in or out of manual or auto ? i see nothing on the stick to show that .

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Doies the shift look anything like this
IMG_20319-large.jpg

If so nudging the lever to left drops one gear each time it is nudged.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The ECU that governs the autobox adapts to the driving pattern, so if you boot it in 1st and keep the foot down on the loud pedal, it assumes you want max power and revs in 2nd, so doesn't change up sooner? Just my 2d worth.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
As golly has shown, if there is a + - on the control, it is dead easy to knock it out of automatic, the display on the sprinter will change fron D to whatever gear you lock into. Occasionally happens to me after years of driving an auto sprinter.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
thank you for that - but to be clear how do you put it in or out of manual or auto ? i see nothing on the stick to show that .
Side to side and look in the display for what is happening. I have made that mistake myself as well. Mercedes engine and 7 speed auto - great combination. Got the same on my bus (albeit with the V6 3 litre lump)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Don't know this particular gearbox.... roadwarrior However if she "booted it" as you say. Is it at all possible she inadvertently "kicked down" the box and if she then kept foot to the floor the box would stay in that gear until she eased off on the throttle... Just a thought.

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
i think your all right gents - at least i know the gearbox isnt buggered now - thank you all for the enlightment - damn though - i watched it run to about 4700 revs befire i told to her kill it and pull over - jeez..
soo.. knock it left and it drops a gear - and to the right and it holds it in that gear ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back