Auto Stop/Start and 9 speed auto - how to avoid having to keep your foot dead still on the brake? (1 Viewer)

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
I love the 9 speed auto box - it's great to drive, but I still haven't worked out a good way to cope with the auto stop/start system when it decides to stop at a junction.

The car is stop/start too, but a manual, and that works fine... When you stop you put it in neutral and the engine stops. When you start to press the clutch to change back to 1st, the engine starts. Sorted...

The van though stops then engine (if it feels like it) when you come to a halt. The trouble is that from that moment on, any partial lift of the brake pedal seems to be interpreted as 'oh, you're about to move off - better start the engine'. So you have to sit there holding the brake pedal down at the same point as it was when you stopped - you can push harder, but never slacken the pressure. It's annoying.

This hasn't been an issue much recently, since the van hadn't been doing much stop/start, but having just had a first service it's decided it's keen on stopping again, so I'm trying to work out the best way to deal with it.

You can't put it in park, since that goes through reverse, which restarts the engine.

I tried putting it in neutral when stopped, but ended up movng the selector a bit far and got reverse briefly, so that started the engine again.

I will have to try the neutral approach again the next time I'm out, and also try the handbrake to see if that lets you release the pressure on the footbrake without restarting.

Does anyone have this sorted? Or is everyone just turing off stop/start because it's too annoying?

cheers,

Robin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A Fiat dealer can turn off the stop/start via computer.
Part of my start up routine in the car... Foot on brake, stop/start off, auto park brake off, auto brake hold on, drive away.
But I have a switch to disable stop/start.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have a VW 8 speed with stop start and a Transit Custom auto also with it, first thing I do after starting either of them is press the disable switch. Utterly stupid and potentially dangerous ‘feature’ that will either leave you in the path of oncoming traffic when it brain farts or cost you a starter motor well before it should need one.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A Fiat dealer can turn off the stop/start via computer.
Part of my start up routine in the car... Foot on brake, stop/start off, auto park brake off, auto brake hold on, drive away.
But I have a switch to disable stop/start.
I think the ops problem is they like the stop start function but it starts too soon if they take their foot off the brake pedal rather than they want to disable it. I was a bit sceptical about it on our car in terms of battery life and reliability but after 93,000 miles it still works perfectly and is still on the original battery!

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Initially I had the same issue but found when the stop start has activated you can quickly and smoothly move the selector into park and the engine stays off. You can then remove your foot from the brake. When you take out of park the engine starts. It takes practice as if you do it too fast or slow it doesn’t work. Either that or stop at lights and put into park and then the stop start kicks in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Hi,

yes, exactly, I have no problem with the concept of stop/start at all, just that the way Fiat have rigged it to come back to life the moment you decrease the pressure on the brake pedal is a pain...

Andy MacD - I will try that approach next time I'm out in the van - thanks for the suggestion.

cheers,

Robin

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I switch Stop/Start off in some driving conditions especially where the junction is on a slope.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have a VW 8 speed with stop start and a Transit Custom auto also with it, first thing I do after starting either of them is press the disable switch. Utterly stupid and potentially dangerous ‘feature’ that will either leave you in the path of oncoming traffic when it brain farts or cost you a starter motor well before it should need one.

I am sure vehicles with start stop systems have a beefed up starter motors to cope with the life they will lead. My friend has a start stop Mini which is still working fine after 15 years

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I am sure vehicles with start stop systems have a beefed up starter motors to cope with the life they will lead. My friend has a start stop Mini which is still working fine after 15 years
I dont know about the starter but stop/start batteries are much more expensive that "normal" starter batteries.

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
In our car (auto with stop start) if you push the brake in, and then push it a bit more (quite firmly) then "Hold" appears in a box on the dash and it'll sit there until you press the accelerator. Worth a go? Not sure if it's a manufacturer thing but it's a good idea.

OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
In our car (auto with stop start) if you push the brake in, and then push it a bit more (quite firmly) then "Hold" appears in a box on the dash and it'll sit there until you press the accelerator. Worth a go? Not sure if it's a manufacturer thing but it's a good idea.
Thanks, it's certainly something worth trying :)

cheers,
Robin

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
What I want to know (in a vaguely curious sort of way) is why it sometimes stop/starts and at other times it doesnt. It seems the OP also finds this situation. I quite like the s/s but it just doesnt always do it.

OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Unfortunately the Ducato doesn't tell you why it will or will not do stop/start :(

My VW tells me (although the messages are badly translated from German into English, so I will paraphrase some of them)

• Battery too low
  • Engine not running long enough yet
  • Cabin temperature too cold/hot

Additionally, for diesel vehicles, I think it will not do stop/start if a DPF regeneration is happening and possibly if the last DPF regeneration was interrupted. Finally, I think if the system is unsure about the charge state of the battery then it will not stop/start.

cheers,

Robin

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Yeah loads of factors, battery charge rate, coolant temp, oil temp, cabin temperature, current load (heated seats, blowers, demister, lights, radio turned up with a premium audio system) you would be unlikely to see statt/stop activate.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Am I the only one left who applies the handbrake when they stop? That prevents restart. why would you ever move an automatic out of drive except when parking?
the current rented audi q2 has to have the clutch depressed to start the engine & the brake pressed to release the handbrake.
The stop/start should not work if the air con is on.
its invention was due to the fact that many councils/regions/countries are implementing "turn off engine " to curtail emissions when stopped at crossing/lights kerb ,etc. many councils have bylaws in place that can be enforced by parking attendants etc

just turing off stop/start because it's too annoying?
I do . but as above & in many council areas if you do not have stop/start you are meant to physically turn off your engine whislt waiting then restart. more nonsense as most vehicles these days have a fail safe system which means you have to wait for all the lights to go out before restarting.In many cases here the lights change before you can restart.
In many newer cars this is also why there is no way to disable the stop/start except at the dealers.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's technology that's been a standard in many cars for 15 years. And if you look at hybrids like the Prius, they stop-start continuously without issue. It's well proven. Just ignore it and let it do it's thing.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
On our Audi I really like that I can restart the engine without pulling away or releasing the brakes, simply by easing off the brake pressure a little. I wouldn’t like stop start without this feature. I can be ready for a quick pull away at a roundabout or a junction as I see an opportunity approaching. I can be ready when the lights turn green. Yes occasionally my foot moves and the engine starts a bit sooner than it needs to but that is really not a problem. A problem is missing the opportunity to pull away and inconveniencing myself and other motorists. I would turn stop start off if were not for the brake sensitive re-start feature.

My advice to the OP is make use of the feature, it puts you in control. Don’t worry if the engine sometimes restarts early, no harm done.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What I want to know (in a vaguely curious sort of way) is why it sometimes stop/starts and at other times it doesnt. It seems the OP also finds this situation. I quite like the s/s but it just doesnt always do it.
There are usually a few variables involved.
Won't work if not up to temperature or air-con switched on or battery voltage too low etc

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
There are usually a few variables involved.
Won't work if not up to temperature or air-con switched on or battery voltage too low etc
Ours does stop start with the air con on but does seem to monitor voltage and heavy loads like heated rear window and headlights.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
They possibly do but it’s all extra wear and tear on the ring gear too and I have replaced quite a few VW ones so not a fan and added to the unpredictability of operation I find it a gimmick I cannot get on with

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Am I the only one left who applies the handbrake when they stop? That prevents restart. why would you ever move an automatic out of drive except when parking?
the current rented audi q2 has to have the clutch depressed to start the engine & the brake pressed to release the handbrake.
The stop/start should not work if the air con is on.
its invention was due to the fact that many councils/regions/countries are implementing "turn off engine " to curtail emissions when stopped at crossing/lights kerb ,etc. many councils have bylaws in place that can be enforced by parking attendants etc

I do . but as above & in many council areas if you do not have stop/start you are meant to physically turn off your engine whislt waiting then restart. more nonsense as most vehicles these days have a fail safe system which means you have to wait for all the lights to go out before restarting.In many cases here the lights change before you can restart.
In many newer cars this is also why there is no way to disable the stop/start except at the dealers.
Applying the handbrake in ours is reaching forward and pushing a button under the dash, and if you've manually applied it you have to manually remove it by pulling said button, I'm almost convinced it's designed to be used as a "parking brake" rather than for use at stops.
If in the MH or van I use the handbrake, the vans is a foot pedal and hand release which takes some getting used to. MH is a standard reach down pull up job.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Disable the stop start every time I get in either car or van.
When a/c is on currently working overtime en route to Skye 27C currently!! it will stop and immediately kick in again totally pointess! Hate the stop start emisions fudge.

OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Well, we took the van out today as the weather was fine and had a nice walk along the river Lambourn.

Anyway, I took the opportunity to try out various tricks for allowing me to take my foot off the brake pedal without the stop/start bringing the engine back to life. To summarize...

• Putting the gear selector into neutral : doesn't work - the engine restarts as soon as you lift the brake pedal at all
  • Using the handbrake : doesn't work - again engine restarts if you lift the brake pedal
  • Putting the gear selector into park : DOES WORK - you have to do it as soon as the van stops, before the stop/start stops the engine (otherwise moving through reverse restarts it).

Thanks again Andy MacD for the suggestion :)

cheers,

Robin

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
(otherwise moving through reverse restarts it
you can still go to park when stop start has activated but the timing is difficult, too fast or too slow and the engine re starts, the 80/20 rule applies here as elsewhere in life.

OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
I will have to try that next time out :)

cheers,

Robin

OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Yep, the move through to 'P' after the engine stops works fine as long as you do it fairly swiftly - I suspect if you linger too long in 'R' then that gets you a restart. I think I'm getting this stop/start thing sorted now :)

I'm also getting better at spotting when a DPF regeneration is happening (to avoid interrupting it if possible). The symptoms are that the mpg drops away as though you are driving it like a loon even if you are taking it steady. Also, the smart alternator stops doing its 'let the voltage drop when the engine is under load' thing during the regeneration. I have an on-dash OBD speedo which shows the 12V voltage too - that will normally drop down to about 12.5V when the engine is under load and rise to about 15V when coasting/braking. However with a regen in progress it doesn't drop below about 14V.

cheers,

Robin

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
It's because the amps in the starter battery are low, it'll only work when adequately charged.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I must get into the modern world, all I know is cars with a key which you shove in the ignition to start, then the engine runs continuously until you turn that bloody key and pull it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back