Are we as smart as we think we are? (22 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi folks.
To set the scene, we are both just into retirement and both fairly well educated. We have been doing this Motorhoming malarkey for about 40 years, with over half that time going over to Europe. So we think we are smart. But….
The other day we were heading down a small road in Southern France, to visit a castle up on the hill, when we saw a sign, 2.4m height restriction ahead. There was a small sign in French below it but we are smart so we stopped and turned around. Pulling over, we checked the maps for alternative routes. Looking on the satellite picture, I could not see any bridge or other restrictions. Mmmm. So after a short ‘Discussion’ I got out and walked down the road. Yes there was a height restriction just 150m round the corner. An overhanging rock, only on the right hand side…..just like the sign said! So we turned round again and went on our way. Good castle.
Yesterday we arrived at an aire near Barcelona. ‘Let’s check out the station for train times then pick up some shopping’, says I. We walked to the station then looking at the map, off to the location Aldidle. 20mins walk and…they are shut for renovations. Check out the map again (what did we do before phone maps?) another shop 10 mins in the other direction. Back to the station, check the phone, ‘7 mins up the road’, says Mrs Google. It starts to rain. No worries, we have a brolly…a small brolly. Keep walking. Getting wet. Check the map, ‘6 mins.’ Check more carefully…….6 mins BY CAR. 24 mins if walking. Rain now a downpour. ‘Bugger this for a game of soldiers’. We gave up and went back to the van. Much giggling and joking, we got back soaked.

So, my question is, ‘What silly things have you very clever people done lately’?

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil Terrestra
Exp
Since 2004
I don't think being smart and being silly are mutually exclusive, nor do I worry about it! : :wink:

Neither do I think being smart has much in a defined way with common sense. Two of the very cleverest people I know both demonstrate a distinct absence of common sense.

I might not have done anything stupid yet today, but have plenty of time to do so. Yesterday I spent a few minutes looking for my house keys before I found them in the car where they had been all night.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I am very good at predicting the local weather. I studied meteorology and I am a chief scout award holder.
Recently we went for a walk. Do we need coats or a brolly? Says Jane. Looking up I say nope we’ll be fine for the next hour or so.
You can guess the rest; 15 mins later the heavens opened and the rain was biblical.
So what did I learn. Don’t just look up, look up and around especially to the rear. 🙄
Drowned rats didn’t even come close. 😂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back