lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I’m going to be replacing the USB socket in the van as it’s goosed, when pushing the usb in it just went straight through and won’t now reseat. I have another USB socket to fit and just wondering if these connectors are ok.

Or would I be better to buy a small soldering iron and solder them?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don’t do what I did and think they are like chocolate block type connectors

You put the same supply +or- in each side or if twisted together just use one side or buy single connectors 🤔👍

Edit to answer your question I definitely trust Screwfix to sell decent stuff 👍

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I’m going to be replacing the USB socket in the van as it’s goosed, when pushing the usb in it just went straight through and won’t now reseat. I have another USB socket to fit and just wondering if these connectors are ok.

Wago 221 or 222 series’s would be better 😉

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I like 221 pass through connectors.

Screenshot_2024-09-10-11-51-32-070_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
USB = universal serial bus, so not just a means of moving the lekky from one place to another. I'm guessing that the Wago connectors are just a variation on the simple plug connector concept with no data transfer capability and therefore emminently better for that purpose than the USB?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

They're not very good for multi-strand auto cable. the clamp type are much better

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Soldering is very good for electrical connections, it is used all the time in electronic devices. However there are reliability concerns for soldered stranded wires in a vibration-prone environment. For example, they are never used in aircraft. The manual of my Audi car specifically states that solder connections are never to be used.

Crimp or Wago connections are used instead. Obviously you must take care that the crimp or Wago connection is to the same high quality standard. A good crimp joint is as good electrically as a good solder joint, and is more reliable.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The wire used on USB sockets may be too thin for the push fit wago connectors.
Push it in and it just crumples without going right in.
Far better using the lock lever wago's

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wago have been making electrical connectors for the electrical trade for donkeys years, if you can't trust them then you can't trust anything.
Be aware there are lots of Chinese copies on eBay & Amazon, normally OK but better to buy genuine Wago.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the cheap sockets the front PCB that the socket is on is only held to the main PCB with a blob of solder each side. I've repaired a few by soldering a short piece of tinned copper wire over the joint then covering with epoxy.
For the current van I'm going to buy the aluminium body ones hoping they are better.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
USB = universal serial bus, so not just a means of moving the lekky from one place to another. I'm guessing that the Wago connectors are just a variation on the simple plug connector concept with no data transfer capability and therefore emminently better for that purpose than the USB?
It's true that in general a USB connection has data capabilities, and Wago connections on the data wires would not give you acceptable data transfer rates. However automotive USB sockets are usually used only for charging purposes, and very little if any of the data capability is used. They usually only have a simple pos and neg 12V supply, which Wago connectors are perfect for.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Imagine how much a vehicle would need to vibrate to fracture a soldered wire 😏 that chestnut always brings a wry smile.

Maybe the space shuttle during launch would get problems eventually if the cables weren't cable tied or no strain relief, but if my van started breaking soldered joints I'd be seriously looking at upgrading the suspension 😂 err that's if I survived the first trip 😳😆

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Imagine how much a vehicle would need to vibrate to fracture a soldered wire 😏 that chestnut always brings a wry smile.

Maybe the space shuttle during launch would get problems eventually if the cables weren't cable tied or no strain relief, but if my van started breaking soldered joints I'd be seriously looking at upgrading the suspension 😂 err that's if I survived the first trip 😳😆
There is the phenomenon of resonance. The wire will vibrate massively if the frequency of the vibration is just right. You may think that you'd have to be extremely unlucky for the vibration frequency to be exactly right. However remember the engine - the source of vibration - varies continuously over a wide range, so there is a good chance that one of those frequencies, or a multiple of it - is just right to cause the resonant vibration. Over a year or two the joint will fail.

If every joint in a vehicle was soldered, a two or three year old vehicle would be plagued with difficult to trace electrical faults. The aircraft and automotive industries have learnt over the years from hard experience to avoid soldered joints.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
There is the phenomenon of resonance. The wire will vibrate massively if the frequency of the vibration is just right. You may think that you'd have to be extremely unlucky for the vibration frequency to be exactly right. However remember the engine - the source of vibration - varies continuously over a wide range, so there is a good chance that one of those frequencies, or a multiple of it - is just right to cause the resonant vibration. Over a year or two the joint will fail.

If every joint in a vehicle was soldered, a two or three year old vehicle would be plagued with difficult to trace electrical faults. The aircraft and automotive industries have learnt over the years from hard experience to avoid soldered joints.
Ok then, these are the heated grips connections on my single cylinder (vibratey 😈) 390cc motorcycle. Soldered, shrink wrapped and cable tied in the small space right above the vibration lump. I'll let you know when they fail but I think it may be some time 🤔😏

Screenshot_20240910_153159_Gallery.jpg

Jul 20, 2023
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL Auto
Exp
Limited motorhome and campervan hire previously.
I have recently retired from a life safety industry that has been using Wago in safety crtical postions for the last 20 years, have never known a failure if the wire is stripped correctly. The locations include nuclear, government, palaces & transportation (airports etc). Will not state the same for the chinese copies though. Stick to wago, you cant go wrong

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back