Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 9, 2022
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G732
Exp
Total Newbie
So my recent trip to Annecy was a bit of a disaster with various motorhome related issues! What I'm trying to do is connect the dots, so when it goes back to the dealers on Wednesday, I might have some idea of whats going on.
1) The drive from Essex to Lake Annecy through Belgium and Luxemburg, avoiding motorways/tolls etc, was faultless. Everything worked as it should. Towing a trailer and smart car resulted in 27.5mpg and it pulled like a train going uphill.
2) The central locking ceased to work as we were setting up at Annecy.. The system beeped once and that was that! Then the alarm went off......for 2 hours, removed connections from siren but couldn't remove the siren, so covered in vet bed to try and dull the noise.
3) The hab door and passenger door wouldn't lock/unlock via the key, so we couldn't secure the van at all. I then removed the door actuators, which were both in varying degrees of mis-shaped, melted plastic.
4) The van battery died and was replaced with a like for like (ish) agm battery. Original was 90ah and i got 105ah. Charged for approx 72 hours on Ctek charger with gel setting.
5) Went to leave Annecy and the battery was completely dead, no dashboard lights, nothing. Reconnected charger and straight away the status lights confirmed charge in the battery, tried starting and it fired up first time. Filled up with derv and the fuel gauge didn't move, at all and stayed like it.
6) Drive from Annecy to Troyes was super smooth and the van pulled like a steam train.
7) Left Troyes and it stumbled to start. Filled up with derv and fuel gauge started working again. Troyes to Calais was Ok but not as smooth and seemed to struggle up hills, not as smooth a drive and occasionally having to change down.

This is the second time in a year that the door actuators have failed and the second time that the fuel gauge has played up.
Would I be wrong to think this could be earthing issue or certainly a contributing factor?

Apologies for the long post but things never seem to happen individually!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You haven't mentioned what the base vehicle is, if it's a Fiat then there have been instances of poor earth connections causing issues and also water ingress into the electrics.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2022
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G732
Exp
Total Newbie
You haven't mentioned what the base vehicle is, if it's a Fiat then there have been instances of poor earth connections causing issues and also water ingress into the electrics.
Sorry, I hadn't even thought of that! Its a 2009 Fiat Ducato 3.0.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
With so many unrelated and random things conking out I think re terminating the earth would be a great idea. Make sure to thoroughly remove ALL rustiness around the earth strap connections, use a star washer between tag and earth surface and once reconnected cover the lot with some coppaslip or similar to prevent moisture making it go rusty again.

Cheers!
Russ

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Many years ago at Annecy we had very similar problems with alarm and electrics.
It turned out to be a phone mast nearby causing the problems.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry, I hadn't even thought of that! Its a 2009 Fiat Ducato 3.0.
Thanks
It would be worth having both the earth leads , battery to body and engine to body , replaced (or extra ones added) as they can cause problems even when appearing to be ok with clean connections of the terminals. ( there can be corrosion inside terminal crimp connections causing poor current flow )

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My money is on a wiring fault either a dodgy earth or more likely given the melted central locking actuator a faulty live feed. Have you looked at if there's a battery drain with everything off? Is there any work been done on anything apparently unrelated in the past few months our sons mini kept blocking fuses due to an exhaust shorting out a live feed!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jan 9, 2022
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G732
Exp
Total Newbie
Thanks for all the useful replies, I have dropped it off at the dealers this morning and await their findings. I have passed all comments on and hopefully they will resolve the matter.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back