Are CAMC finally getting the message (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The explanation I was just given for a charge of 37.50 for an extension, whilst there's 'no need to move - plenty of room' was 'dynamic pricing'. So it seems they are following the Ryan Air model. Perhaps best to book these now like you would an airline flight? (for instance I hear evenings can be more expensive). OK, all's fair in business but I think the use of the term 'club' is getting a bit ridiculous.
IMOA they have not been a "club" for many years.👍👍

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The explanation I was just given for a charge of 37.50 for an extension, whilst there's 'no need to move - plenty of room' was 'dynamic pricing'. So it seems they are following the Ryan Air model. Perhaps best to book these now like you would an airline flight? (for instance I hear evenings can be more expensive). OK, all's fair in business but I think the use of the term 'club' is getting a bit ridiculous.

So they are not treating all 'Club Members' equally.

Is that consistent with 'Club' rules? The Members need to ask.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
So they are not treating all 'Club Members' equally.

Many motorhome owners tend to tour rather than sit in an awning for weeks on end. ‘Dynamic pricing’ therefore actively discriminates against motorhome members. It’s a pricing policy that has no place in a membership organisation. I don’t think asking gets you very far with CAMC but voting with your feet just might?

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Not strictly true... CL/CS's are allowed a maximum of 5 vans ( mohos or caravans) plus a maximum of 10 tents..
So they would not be able to just turn over more tent area to mohos, they still only allowed 5 vans.
Incidently the one reason some sites have more than 5 hookups is to cater for those tents, which are more and more becoming dependant on EHU's.We had 8 hook ups,to allow for rotating pitches , overlap on changeover and waterlogged pitches as well as mowing

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Well, sitting here with a nice cup of tea on CAMC Craigie Park Ayr, enjoying the late afternoon sunshine in the company of a stack of like minded caravaners and Motorhomes, not a moan about pricing ( £32 per night if interested) or single v couples pricing, everyone waiting for the fish and chip van to call at 5.30 for tea!!
Great that we are all different and that there are options to suit, happy camping!

IMG_1633.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Many motorhome owners tend to tour rather than sit in an awning for weeks on end. ‘Dynamic pricing’ therefore actively discriminates against motorhome members. It’s a pricing policy that has no place in a membership organisation. I don’t think asking gets you very far with CAMC but voting with your feet just might?

Who sits in their awnings for weeks on end?

We certainly do not.

What would be the point?

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We're letting our CAMC membership expire at the end of the month. We never use club sites, and for the half dozen or so times we use a CL site during the year it doesn't seem good value.

Actually, we tried using a CAMC club site this year using the "free night promotion", however the free night had to be taken during January to March, which would not have been a problem except that at around the same time CAMC took the decision to close every club site within about 150 mile radius of here over the winter! So the only effect the promotion had on me was to leave me feeling annoyed!

The magazine is pretty turgid and self-congratulatory, and makes me realise that they don't really cater for what I need. Every site upgrade they crow on about includes fully-serviced premium pitches and / or glamping opportunities for non-members.

Rather than just trialing non-EHU pitches or metered pitches at just a handful of club sites, what I would like is for a small area on each club site dedicated to short-stay overnighing motorhomers. Small pitches (we don't need acres of space for caravan, a towcar, an awning, windbreak, swingball, etc.), just a small patch of level ground to park a van on overnight, plus the use of the fresh water, waste, facilities, etc.. No EHU required. Limit stays to 2 or 3 nights max. Even a single night. In effect, provide aire-like facilities, and charge perhaps only half to two-thirds of the standard pitch prices. Then I'd consider rejoining. Until then for us, when touring in the UK, it will be CAMPRA / independent aires, together with those enlightened local authorities that are making provision for motorhomes, that will get our business, plus a spot of considerate wild / off-grid camping.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Also their latest £5 off offer is only if you stay 5 nights! Can’t remember the last time we stayed 5 nights on one site. So again more likely to advantage caravanners than motorhomers.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Our prime reason for retaining our CAMHC membership is for access to the CL network.

This week was the first stay on a full service site for ages. And the two nights we were there it was very quiet with loads of empty pitches.

Even some commercial full facility sites can be cheaper (if we have the granddaughter with us), especially out of main season.

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)
The magazine is pretty turgid and self-congratulatory, and makes me realise that they don't really cater for what I need
Wrote a letter to the magazine on this very topic. For some reason it wasn't published :rolleyes:

We're letting our CAMC membership expire at the end of the month
I have cancelled recently.
Given the propensity for every service to request feedback for the most trivial of things, I was very surprised that I wasn't asked why...

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Who sits in their awnings for weeks on end?
What would be the point?

It’s a tugger thing, having wrestled with a huge awning for several hours the thought of moving on the day after next doesn’t appeal. The point is they’ve got a car for local touring and booked the site months ago getting the early bird prices. Good luck to them but CAMC policy gives them unfair advantage and makes CAMC increasingly irrelevant to motorhomers.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
It’s a tugger thing, having wrestled with a huge awning for several hours the thought of moving on the day after next doesn’t appeal. The point is they’ve got a car for local touring and booked the site months ago getting the early bird prices. Good luck to them but CAMC policy gives them unfair advantage and makes CAMC increasingly irrelevant to motorhomers.
Sorry, more than half the outfits on site here are Motorhomes, none of whom think the club is irrelevant.

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
I'm just starting my off-grid(site?) journey, but I do like to book a site pitch every so often. You know what you're getting, everything works (well, it has so far), I can empty my cassette ethically (don't get me started!) and I can get the table and chairs out.

I am not trying to spend a lot more of my time off grid, but to me just being able to be off grid gives me choice, and I like that.

I also like being on a site, which is a known quantity, every so often, when I choose to. I no longer need EHU so I'm all for metered leccy so long as the base price is reduced.

I'm not 100% sure where I'm going with this, to be honest :)

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Sorry, more than half the outfits on site here are Motorhomes, none of whom think the club is irrelevant.
I think people may still be using an old membership. We were at an ex-CL now independant campsite in March this weekend (about 10 quid less per night than a CAMC site, but includes fishing for those who like that).

I didn't even bring it up but one other camper told me when we were sharing campsite and CL reccomendations having a chat about my solar testing that afternoon (was testing some more portable panels for the off-grid 5 nights we have next week) he better get the CL's in quick as he's leaving CAMC as it is too expensive sites for him (he was off for a European tour after the site we were at)... (I had reccomended a near-ish CL to him). It's notable when people say this, and also in same breath are mentioning how they enjoying the THS that the other club offers.

The site we were at was equivalent size to a CAMC site, better provisioned (all pitches were fully serviced, but they also had a drive over MHSP if you preferred to ), and the price per night was £10-£20 less per night than a short notice CAMC booking nearly, and the shower provisions were that posh they wife declined to use the vans shower for first time. I'm loathe to even mention the site before you all get booking it, but it was mentioned on here before and we took the recommendation. There were no pegs to park inside in site, and the pitches even had bushes between them in parts of site, and were the largest we've seen in UK camping so far... The best bit being they even had an evening meal servic on sitewhere they had food available to prebook that came on crockery to eat in your van (with you washing up and returning the crockery in the morning) -> that wasn't overpriced and was ran by a lovely couple as their business...

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I'm just starting my off-grid(site?) journey, but I do like to book a site pitch every so often. You know what you're getting, everything works (well, it has so far), I can empty my cassette ethically (don't get me started!) and I can get the table and chairs out.
We do too, but the CL's are why we may stay with CAMC, but we won't use their sites.

Example of good CL: https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/certificated-locations/england/suffolk/framlingham/waterpump-cl/

£20 a night, inc electric, year round, nice people, short walk to pub, and other nice quiet walks off site too... can get table and chairs out... and quiet with a elsan.
(No shower block though!). Must use Elsan GReen fluid but we do that anyhow.

The issue I have is when same is £57 for 2 of us per night as it all too frequently is with CAMC club sites. For £37 extra a night I do wonder how much these toilet/shower blocks are costing us.

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
We do too, but the CL's are why we may stay with CAMC, but we won't use their sites.

Example of good CL: https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/certificated-locations/england/suffolk/framlingham/waterpump-cl/

£20 a night, inc electric, year round, nice people, short walk to pub, and other nice quiet walks off site too... can get table and chairs out... and quiet with a elsan.
(No shower block though!). Must use Elsan GReen fluid but we do that anyhow.

The issue I have is when same is £57 for 2 of us per night as it all too frequently is with CAMC club sites. For £37 extra a night I do wonder how much these toilet/shower blocks are costing us.

Our only experience of a CL site (actually it was a CCC equivalent but they didn;t ask for proof of membership) was being towed out of the supposed hard standing which wasn't. I know that shouldn;t put us off ...

Must give a CL a go, though we are rather enjoying pub carparks at the moment.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We saw the same when we were at the Brighton site recently, and agree did t hear anyone there thinking the site was irrelevant. Here is the thing if everyone exited the club to park on roads and car parks think most of the spots would be closed off to motor homes so the more people not using campsites actually risk getting less parking spaces near seaside fronts etc.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.

Not for us it isn't. We don't even put an awning up, just a sun canopy. Although we may not move on for several days we certainly don't sit in our awning or caravan for days.

You are generalising I'm afraid.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Many motorhomers are ex-caravanners and many if those struggle to change their habits.

Ian

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Here is the thing if everyone exited the club to park on roads and car parks think most of the spots would be closed off to motor homes so the more people not using campsites actually risk getting less parking spaces near seaside fronts etc.

Or use other sites that are just as good or better without the ridiculous price tag?

Reactions: hja
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Or maybe use other sites that are just as good or better but without the excessive price tag?
Exactly -> about half the pitches at the independant we went to were open this weekend. Better facilities than CAMC at considerably less price.
£30 a night mid season for 2 people on their best pitches (fully serviced). CAMC want £40 for same (but without being fully serviced). Peak season (July/Aug) it's £32 at former and £45 at CAMC. Key bit being I didn't need to prebook the independant a 2 months ahead to get a weekend availability, I could check the weather and go if it was okay.

Should add if you wanted more than 2 people it's even cheaper too, as it's £3 per person added, where CAMC want £12 ish..

We're using the "other" club this week for an overnight on way to a festival, booked Saturday for Thurs night, £28 a night for hardstanding with electric. Still expensive but when we tried to book a CAMC pitch it was coming in at a "lot" more.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Our only experience of a CL site (actually it was a CCC equivalent but they didn;t ask for proof of membership) was being towed out of the supposed hard standing which wasn't. I know that shouldn;t put us off ...

Must give a CL a go, though we are rather enjoying pub carparks at the moment.

Every CL we have stayed on that states it has hard standings has proper hard standings, usually gravel. They may not always be perfectly level so ramps may be required.

Sometimes access to them may be over grass though so it's worth checking images and site reviews.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Every CL we have stayed on that states it has hard standings has proper hard standings, usually gravel. They may not always be perfectly level so ramps may be required.

Sometimes access to them may be over grass though so it's worth checking images and site reviews.
We've been to ONE CL with hardstandings with loose gravel (it hadn't been compacted properly as was put in week before apparently) and had some difficulty getting the motorhome on/off. However we managed it.

Most we've been to however are similar to what you would get at a CAMC club site, but usually larger, with more space between pitches (theres room at one CL probably for 10 hardstanding and 5 grass pitches on a site licenced for 5 hardstanding).

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I am on a CAMC site at the moment and I happen to think it’s worth every penny, good level pitch, modern clean facilities, chatting to other campers at the well stocked shop they love coming here too. The club caters nicely for me. I also camp off grid, use French aires et al, whatever suits at the time. Best advice is from seaside Bill, if you don’t like it don’t go, vote with your feet, I don’t think anyone at this site is going to cry over it. If there was a viable and comparable nationwide offering at a lower price the competion would have moved in. Sure the odd private site does well and Haven have a few sites, but it is the CAMC and CCC sites that are the backbone for many campers.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
The best type IMHO are the ones that give a choice of both. This is our 'go to' half way to Cornwall stop over and we've holidayed here too.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I am on a CAMC site at the moment and I happen to think it’s worth every penny, good level pitch, modern clean facilities, chatting to other campers at the well stocked shop they love coming here too. The club caters nicely for me. I also camp off grid, use French aires et al, whatever suits at the time. Best advice is from seaside Bill, if you don’t like it don’t go, vote with your feet, I don’t think anyone at this site is going to cry over it. If there was a viable and comparable nationwide offering at a lower price the competion would have moved in. Sure the odd private site does well and Haven have a few sites, but it is the CAMC and CCC sites that are the backbone for many campers.
I did vote with my feet/wheels... and would gladly go back if they got rid of this "your getting leccy, whether you want it or not" (yes I admit there are a very few exceptions) mentality..
I, like many others on here have spend considerable ammounts to be leccy free...

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Or use other sites that are just as good or better without the ridiculous price tag?
Maybe maybe not, I’m not bothered about price but location and a site that is clean and has some semblance of order CAMC may not be the ‘cheapest’ but I know what I am getting before I arrive. You pay your money and take your choice.

I have and do use non club sites but the. I have to accept often that there will be toxic smoke from fire pits billowing across the campsite. Kids running around semi clean disposal points shower blocks that are sort of ok etc.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Campsites that have such facilities as swimming pools and play areas that any resident can use then I can understand the extra charge, but what I cannot understand is if they include an extra charge for a bar. Surely that should be self-financing from users.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

I tend to think that the Club's management still has the pre-2017 mindset. That was when the name was changed to include "and Motorhome".

Every time I read the Club's monthly magazine it strikes me that tuggers are still the Blessed Ones. I feel that the Club management's heart truly belongs to the Caravan tendency. That might explain why the Club brought in the deposit booking scheme and the awful new software, to help Caravanners block book entire weeks and fortnights on their favourite Club sites. The changes were never in the best interests of the motorhome Membership who preferred short stay touring. Short stay motorhomers were disrupting long stay caravan booking availability on the most popular Club sites. Which resulted in complaints ...

We motorhome Members are probably no longer the minority and might already be the majority. In December 2023 the outgoing Club Chairman Grenville Chamberlain (caravanner) wrote in the Club magazine that 70% of new Members have either motorhomes or campervans.

The Club must change its mindset. Until then, I sense that we are regarded as a necessary evil, tolerated because we help fund the Club. Without motorhome and campervan Members the Club would decline and eventually go broke. The assets might be bought by a Private Equity outfit who would seize the opportunity to sell some sites for residential development, and convert the rest to parks for Statics and Glamping, with no touring pitches, as the way to make a fat profit.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back