Are all Aires in Spain dirty & uninspiring (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
In the last 15 years we have stayed at hundreds of Aires all over Europe, many times you hear " a dusty car park " obviously these people are better suited to campsites, 😯 an aire is something provided for you stay and maybe do your services, sometimes you pay other times it's free, it's your choice if you wish to stay or pay. 😁

We have never stayed anywhere DIRE 🤔 but it doesn't stop me emptying my waste and filling with water, but if was paying for the privilege and it was not value for money and in a nice location, we would find somewhere else, the same applies to campsites if the price is reasonable it's what's expected. 😁
Today we moved and again free dusty car park. 😎

Screenshot_20220901-155827_Maps.jpg
20220901_144828.jpg

I will say where ever you are you have annoying flies. 😁
We live in Spain and use some really nice Aires and some not so nice, but then we can park anywhere within reason. 😎 Bob.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010

This one's pretty convenient for the first or last night.​

Secure and some good walks nearby

Area de Autocaravanas Suesa​

Overnight parking - with services
25486_1454002702.jpg

satnav_white_s.png

Satnav Quick Search ID: S25486S

Suesa, Cantabria, Cantabria, 39160, Spain

43.447669, -3.728161

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

This one's pretty convenient for the first or last night.​

Secure and some good walks nearby

Area de Autocaravanas Suesa​

Overnight parking - with services
25486_1454002702.jpg

satnav_white_s.png

Satnav Quick Search ID: S25486S

Suesa, Cantabria, Cantabria, 39160, Spain

43.447669, -3.728161
Nice....grass could do with a bit of a trim..

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Nice aire in Torrox, facing sea with a sharp incline. Clean, has everything with minimum charge. Rincon is another and Roquetas de Mar even has a plunge pool. All clean and worth a visit. There are also several harbours like Almerimar and Barbati where for minimal charge good showers and toilets are include.
Yes there are some unsavoury sites like one to the west of San Sebastián on an industrial area but we have been there twice for other reasons.
Given a bit of patience Spain is fantastic, dusty, hot, sometimes with flies but wonderful.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It seems to me very odd that people from the UK complain about the standards of free or cheap Aires in other countries. They at least have lots of Aires, unlike the UK which have very few. Seems like the kettle calling the pot black to me.

I have been using Aires in Europe for 8 years now and have never stopped at one I was not comfortable with. Well maybe one in Coimbra where at 1am we realised the loud music in the next field was an all nighter. Just drove off in our pyjamas and found a quiet spot 20 miles up the road.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It seems to me very odd that people from the UK complain about the standards of free or cheap Aires in other countries. They at least have lots of Aires, unlike the UK which have very few. Seems like the kettle calling the pot black to me.

I have been using Aires in Europe for 8 years now and have never stopped at one I was not comfortable with. Well maybe one in Coimbra where at 1am we realised the loud music in the next field was an all nighter. Just drove off in our pyjamas and found a quiet spot 20 miles up the road.
Exactly

Well said.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

I am not comparing the UK with anywhere as I would not compare the rest of the world with the CL's in the UK just the first few we went on were crap. So not pot calling kettle black but commenting on the state of what's being offered, someone commented on finding crap dumped on a grid in the UK leaving paper etc. all over, we'll that's what we have found here cos there was no water.

Since the first post we have found some good places to stop mostly in towns but obviously we do not have the inside knowledge of spanish residents or seasoned travellers to find the creme de la creme of aires and can only comment on our own experiences buy feel pissef off being put down for daring to say anything negative about Spain and I've not even mentioned the dirty barstewads that seem to let their dogs run free and shit everywhere and not pick it up yet they have great recycling facilities?

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I've been on a couple of moderately uninspiring ones but the vast majority have been fine.

eg: IKEA at Murcia City: huge area, stores nearby, transport into city, free:
Chinchilla de MonteAragon: huge purpose built area, bit of a climb up into the village, regular police patrols, free
Marea Area Narejos, Los Alcazares: clean fenced aire with tarmac "pitches", showers, laundry etc €11.90 (2018)
Camper Park El Rancho, Caboneras: fenced aire with earth surface, shower etc, views over countryside €8 (201car8)
Cabercerno (a favourite with many Biscay crossers): large tarmac area surrounded by trees and grass, adjacent to zoo, free (CDP is a bit rank BUT it's FREE!)
etc etc.

Gordon
Another vote for Mates Area, Narjos , Los Alcazares, best on we have been on, tighter than our c& MC, and c& cc, but apart from that as good if not better than some about 12 euros a night 3 years ago

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Another vote for Mates Area, Narjos , Los Alcazares, best on we have been on, tighter than our c& MC, and c& cc, but apart from that as good if not better than some about 12 euros a night 3 years ago
Is that where we are in Cantabria or somewhere else?

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
In two words “your wrong”

but you need to research and check out reviews on S4S and P4N we have stayed on loads of fantastic aires and very seldom come across a duff one
Well we looked at reviews and pictures and found a couple 🤐

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Cheers if we go that way will check it out , just got into Portugal 🇵🇹
Please report back how Portugal is, haven't been for about 5 years or so, any parking up issues, the current Aire and Campsite situation...have you changed your clocks and watches...

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Please report back how Portugal is, haven't been for about 5 years or so, any parking up issues, the current Aire and Campsite situation...have you changed your clocks and watches...
Yes its strange being back on UK time, even the dog seems confused. On the site at Chaves for 2 nights, basic but clean and only €2.50 for washing which was the aim plus to chill for a day or so. Only €12 a night which is good value plus you get 50% off the swimming pool but thats only €3 full price.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Motorhomeless
Exp
14 years with an RV
Yes its strange being back on UK time, even the dog seems confused. On the site at Chaves for 2 nights, basic but clean and only €2.50 for washing which was the aim plus to chill for a day or so. Only €12 a night which is good value plus you get 50% off the swimming pool but thats only €3 full price.
Sounds like the campsite we were on earlier this year. The pool wasn't open then, but looked a fine place, up near the bar/restaurant, next to the campsite.
Have a stroll around the perimeter of the campsite through the woods and see the animals, it's lovely.
If it is the same place, it was e9 per night, e12 with electricity, and the laundry is e2.50 per hour! Bargain!
Chaves is a nice town to wander around, and the beginning of the N2 road which goes down all the way down to the Algarve, 800km apparently the longest road in Europe. Their version of route 66.

Craig

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Stayed in 4 'Aires' in Spain. (Zaragoza, Huesca, Murcia, Morello) They were all free but weren't much more than a car park. (Although Morello had fabulous views of the town) They were close to towns/cities though. To be honest, thats all we want. Don't want to pay for bells and whistles. If I wanted more I'd go to a campsite.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds like the campsite we were on earlier this year. The pool wasn't open then, but looked a fine place, up near the bar/restaurant, next to the campsite.
Have a stroll around the perimeter of the campsite through the woods and see the animals, it's lovely.
If it is the same place, it was e9 per night, e12 with electricity, and the laundry is e2.50 per hour! Bargain!
Chaves is a nice town to wander around, and the beginning of the N2 road which goes down all the way down to the Algarve, 800km apparently the longest road in Europe. Their version of route 66.

Craig
Yes same one I think, its high season now and lots of Portuguese.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Most sites on here have been vetted.
We have never been to a 'bad' aire shown on this web page.
A check on Park4night will show you latest reviews, so you can 'vet' them before arriving.
I just wish folk would actually put more reviews... most seem to use Park4night and similar app's, never submit reviews, but then quick to moan they are not up to date.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Currently in Spain working our way to Portugal and we are totally uninspired by the state and location of the Aires we have tried so far
We just came in to Santander and are now at Nazare in Portugal. We headed straight for Salamanca (a must do stop allow a full day or more) but stayed on Camping Regio.

Not an Aire and a little end of season tired, but all the services plus bar and large swimming pool. Hourly bus into town (stops at Plaza Major) - 18€ A night.

We then came into Portugal Down the motorway and stopped at the campsite in Tomar. Basic, no loos etc but free, water, dump etc. Tomar is also excellent. 2 minutes walk from campsite to river and 4 mins into town!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I suggest you head South West to Guimaraes next, which was the original capital of Portugal. Lovely lively old town and very much Portuguese rather than touristy. When we were there in the spring there was a troop of local accordion players entertaining the mostly Portuguese crowd in the main square with all their traditional songs. Everyone was joining in the singing and it was a cracking atmosphere and lots of good restaurants.

You can stay at the local Aire. It is a very large gravelled area and has two clean and modern bournes with fresh water and black and grey dumps. And all free. Only a 10 minute walk to the town centre and it has a cable car station 100m away that takes you up to the top of the mountain with an interesting Chapel and fabulous views. The coordinates are N41.4409 W8.28446.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I suggest you head South West to Guimaraes next, which was the original capital of Portugal. Lovely lively old town and very much Portuguese rather than touristy. When we were there in the spring there was a troop of local accordion players entertaining the mostly Portuguese crowd in the main square with all their traditional songs. Everyone was joining in the singing and it was a cracking atmosphere and lots of good restaurants.

You can stay at the local Aire. It is a very large gravelled area and has two clean and modern bournes with fresh water and black and grey dumps. And all free. Only a 10 minute walk to the town centre and it has a cable car station 100m away that takes you up to the top of the mountain with an interesting Chapel and fabulous views. The coordinates are N41.4409 W8.28446.
Thanks we were going towards Porto and stopping at peso da ragua but may do that. Looks like cable car only open weekend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back