Apple tag found on van. Beware!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If you find one that's not yours, stick it on the local bin lorry.
Perhaps that is how one ended up in a motorhome hook up socket. Someone could have found they were being tracked and thought they would stick it on a motorhome. Where better? What fun to watch a jealous ex. follow the wrong person around the NC500 or disappear onto the Santander ferry.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
But your phone should let you know that you are being tracked if the AirTag doesn't belong to you.
Yes, that is a protection thing which is in the software and cannot bar turned off. Its is to prevent people dropping a tag into your clothing or bag the following. It would work on a vehicle but whoever put it where it was fond kn owl little of the way these things work. I har one secreted in my camper in addition to the tracker. A thief might look for and disable a trace but they wouldn't find the air tag where I hid it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
A thief might look for and disable a trace but they wouldn't find the air tag where I hid it.
OK inside the toilet cassette might not be the first place they look but anything that is emitting a radio signal can be traced and tracked down.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
OK inside the toilet cassette might not be the first place they look but anything that is emitting a radio signal can be traced and tracked down.
It's not that easy. Particularly in a big metal box. I've just turned on my Bluetooth device scanner and I can see more than 20 devices. Finding a tag on that mess wouldn't be easy.
1000015545.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Assuming you have an apple phone
I think Google and Apple are finally starting to collaborate. I believe Android phones that have had a recent update should warn you about stalking AirTags now? And maybe eventually vice versa? I think you'll still need to use AirTags on Apple and Google "Find My" tags on Android.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Assuming you have an apple phone

If you load the Android App "Tracker Detect" onto your Android phone Jim, then you will get a pop-up message every so often saying that "a tracking device is travelling with you", if an Air Tag is not in range of the tag owner's iPhone.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
So if I understand this correctly anyone could place an air tag and anytime it was within 15 m of any apple devices the exact location would be messaged to them. Even without the owner of the transmitting device knowing?
Can they turn this feature off?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
So if I understand this correctly anyone could place an air tag and anytime it was within 15 m of any apple devices the exact location would be messaged to them. Even without the owner of the transmitting device knowing?
Can they turn this feature off?
Yes. Which is why they're adding anti stalking features. Because people were using it for neferous purposes.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
It's not that easy. Particularly in a big metal box. I've just turned on my Bluetooth device scanner and I can see more than 20 devices. Finding a tag on that mess wouldn't be easy.
View attachment 960420
Part of the technology of the airtag is ultra wideband wireless which lets an iPhone 11(needs to have the U1 chip set) onwards identify the location of the tag to within centimeters when it gets to within meters of the tag. Thus even though I have several hidden in my camper they're not my primary tracking tool.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Part of the technology of the airtag is ultra wideband wireless which lets an iPhone 11(needs to have the U1 chip set) onwards identify the location of the tag to within centimeters when it gets to within meters of the tag. Thus even though I have several hidden in my camper they're not my primary tracking tool.
I think it only reveals uwb when you own the tag.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have them hidden on our e-bikes, not sure how good they’ll be but we certainly get notifications when we leave them behind.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We have them hidden on our e-bikes, not sure how good they’ll be but we certainly get notifications when we leave them behind.
The thing is, the same anti-stalking features that enable someone to find a tag slipped into their bag or behind their filler cap, can be used by a thief to find the tag on your bikes. AirTags are for finding something you've accidently lost. Not to find something someone has deliberately taken.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The thing is, the same anti-stalking features that enable someone to find a tag slipped into their bag or behind their filler cap, can be used by a thief to find the tag on your bikes. AirTags are for finding something you've accidently lost. Not to find something someone has deliberately taken.

Yes I understand this, it would be better if it was only visible to the owner. However it’s another deterrent and they would need to remove a tyre to find it, I know this can probably be done in minutes after they realise theirs a tag on the bike but that might just be enough to either find it or for them to dump it. We also have one on the MH and I can guarantee they’ll not find it in seconds or minutes 😂😂

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yes I understand this, it would be better if it was only visible to the owner. However it’s another deterrent and they would need to remove a tyre to find it, I know this can probably be done in minutes after they realise theirs a tag on the bike but that might just be enough to either find it or for them to dump it. We also have one on the MH and I can guarantee they’ll not find it in seconds or minutes 😂😂
I think the stalker thing means you can make the tag beep. Although apparently you can hole the speaker with a pin, which makes it much quieter.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My daughter has one of the Android versions that she placed inside her car.
It went for a body repair recently with a family friend, she knew he had taken her car home on at least one occasion!!
Plus no work done on it for 2 days as no one was nearby with a phone to pick up it's signal and relay it on to her..

I know people do use them to even track their cats !!!!!!!!!!
If no apple phones in area it can't bounce a signal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back