Anyone with experience of using pneumatic actuators? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Our step motor has failed, its a 12v electric actuator pushing a bespoke hinged step over. I cant easily buy a replacement and Ive always thought that it was a bit slower than I would like and my chassis has air brakes, suspension and seating so thinking about installing a pneumatic actuator with a 3 way solenoid valve? Does anyone have any experience with using/speccing pneumatic actuators?

Apr 30, 2010
Marlborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Try having a look at RVOC, certainly the floor section in a Monaco Motorhome is air driven - we had one previously.
Drop a message to Adi4 in Weymouth as he might have something on the shelf.
Arthur.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Pictures of what you have?
Many steps are powered by adapted windscreen wiper motors.
It looks a bit like this, but Im an impatient person, I would like it to be a bit faster, hence the question about air

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the pneuo puen air actuator could be slowed down so it doesn't take you off at the ankles I'm sure it could be made to work. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Wrekin pneumatics have everything you need and more! usually very helpful 👍

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2023
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Seems like a bit of a faff. First question would be, is there a permanent air supply you can tap into? Or would it only run with the engine on? If you can get air there, then you need to measure the piston length, rig up a fixing for the piston (different fixing depending what piston you go for). Somewhere to fix the solenoid valve etc. You adjust the speed via a couple of restrictors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
TBH, it looks to be a bit of a faff to convert to air. Lots of lines, a feed, actuators etc and all for a few milliseconds on a step. Why not keep to electric as a lot less hassle, less airlines to chafe etc and the wirings already in place. Might it be slow because the motor is old, worn and at its end of serviceable life. Get it repaired or replaced would be my suggestion, but good luck 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt

Dunno if these could help.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Our step motor has failed, its a 12v electric actuator pushing a bespoke hinged step over. I cant easily buy a replacement and Ive always thought that it was a bit slower than I would like and my chassis has air brakes, suspension and seating so thinking about installing a pneumatic actuator with a 3 way solenoid valve? Does anyone have any experience with using/speccing pneumatic actuators?
I'm about to remove a Thule electric drop down step and fit a slide out step instead.....PM me if you're interested (I also have a brand new unused manual pull out drop down step)

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I think what folks are missing is that Jon sees this as a bit of a project and, quite possibly, a prototype for opening the doors on his Bond Bug. 😎

Ian
Wow, lambo doors on his MH, stunning !!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wrekin pneumatics have everything you need and more! usually very helpful 👍

Thanks Richard, just spoke to them and they are happy to advise and supply, just got to wait until I get home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
TBH, it looks to be a bit of a faff to convert to air. Lots of lines, a feed, actuators etc and all for a few milliseconds on a step. Why not keep to electric as a lot less hassle, less airlines to chafe etc and the wirings already in place. Might it be slow because the motor is old, worn and at its end of serviceable life. Get it repaired or replaced would be my suggestion, but good luck 👍🏻
I would go for a repair but it seems to be sealed. Ive had a quote to supply a replacement at £840 +vat so can justify a bit of faffing :giggle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Heres a couple of photos showing the hastily contrived current solution and the now disconnected actuator

20240712_104458.jpg

20240712_104538.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Just a thought, but your unit looks very much like the rams you get on some domestic automated gates. Don’t know if that will help with sourcing and electric item, or if you are set on a pneumatic swap. 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2023
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Jon, first job you need to do is measure the shaft length. This will dictate where your fixing of the piston will be. You can get a piston where it is fixed with a bolt/screwed rod. The diameter of the shaft will depend on the load it is pushing (the shop will help with that) heavier the load the thicker the diameter. From there the shop will help with S/V & air pipe required.
Next how does your switching work? The S/V can work 2 different ways, spring return when you take the voltage off, or 1 coil to energise the step to go out and another coil to retract the step. The shop will need these answers.

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
It looks a bit like this, but Im an impatient person, I would like it to be a bit faster, hence the question about air
My double step opens in less than 2.5 seconds - quick enough? That's a 12V motor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Jon, first job you need to do is measure the shaft length. This will dictate where your fixing of the piston will be. You can get a piston where it is fixed with a bolt/screwed rod. The diameter of the shaft will depend on the load it is pushing (the shop will help with that) heavier the load the thicker the diameter. From there the shop will help with S/V & air pipe required.
Next how does your switching work? The S/V can work 2 different ways, spring return when you take the voltage off, or 1 coil to energise the step to go out and another coil to retract the step. The shop will need these answers.
Ive got some latitude with the inner mounting, the stroke on the current one is 300mm. I havent got to the wiring on the current electric actuator but the switches arent latching and I can stop it both wsys so guessing I have at least 2 wires but hopefully 3

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My double step opens in less than 2.5 seconds - quick enough? That's a 12V motor.
That would be plenty fast enough but the motor in the link says 5mm/s so would take a full minute for 300mm stroke. This is the problem I'm finding. The strap works really well but difficult to lower from inside and looks untidy.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I'd be tempted to fit another (or attempt a repair) of the electrical actuator.
Fitting an air cylinder means somehow tapping into your existing system and funny my pipework, regulating the air flow to a suitable pressure, it may even need an inline lubricator for the cylinder and possibly fitting some sort of safety in case the step opens or closes against something (pet or small child ?) I'm presuming the present set up has a current detecting feature that stops the actuator if it senses a restriction (a bit like electric car windows) ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back