Anyone familar with the cambelt on a Boxer 2.1 HDI? (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Bear with me on this ....

When I first got our Boxer based MoHo I foolishly trusted the engine oil gauge, and it ended up seriously over-filled. I spotted that relatively soon and there does not appear to have been any adverse effect on the engine.
When I put it into a local garage for the cam belt to be changed, they refused saying the belt was covered in oil so there was a leak they weren't equipped to deal with.
My hope is that the overfilling was the cause of the oil on the old belt. The HGV / commercial vehicles garage I then took it to were happy to steam clean inside the cover, replace the belt and leave it for me to monitor.

Is the exposed belt down the left side of the engine the cam belt? (Looks and feels like it but I need reassuring.) If yes it's remained oil free for around 2000 miles now and the engine doesn't appear to be losing any, so I'm in the clear. If not, it's time I reluctantly paid someone to have a look at it, as I don't have the skill or equipment.

20230629_114412.jpg

OP
OP
Trevor Wbm
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Thank you, and Oh bugger, I'll have to see if I can get the cover off.
Update.... managed to find four bolt / nuts holding the top part of the cam cover on - there's either one more or its a bloody tight awkward fit, but managed to expose a bit of the belt. No oil present. That'll do for now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back